Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, a door hit to the point it won't open? That cannot be cheap. I remember my mother got hit last year (it hit just in front of the driver's side front wheel, IIRC) and that turned out to be something around £6,000 to fix, IIRC. ( about $10,000, I think) but fortunately the other driver's insurance paid up. ( there was some argument, but IIRC, it was because it looked at first like the car would need to be totalled!)

but yeah- the other driver is trying to avoid their insurance finding out. Don't let them.

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
      If the damage is bad enough that you can't open or close the door properly that is usually not a cheap repair at all.
      Yeah, that sounds bad. Could be frame damage; that could end up totaling the car.

Quoth Pixilated View Post
      I was wondering about that myself, bhskittykat; has she had one or more other accidents on her record?
      Makes me wonder if she has as well. In which case, she might get dropped, which means she'd have to take the state high risk plan: which is incredibly flippin' expensive . . . about 2K every six months.
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I've had one or two other people suggest that, despite the fact the car is still moving, it might in fact turn out to be a write-off. Also had an aunt tell me they had an accident which resulted in a 'totalled' car (the airbag went off, which apparently automatically makes the car a writeoff) and the insurance company didn't give them enough to buy a new car ... but of course, I don't know what they were looking for. Me, I'd be looking for a used car again. But I hope it doesn't come to that; without a decent job I can't imagine how I'd get a car loan.

It'd be interesting to know what the damage is to her big-ass van. The guy that did the assessment on my car said the way cars are built these days, the outside can look fine while the damage under the plastic exterior can be considerable.

Comment

Took my car in today for the "official" estimate (by the company the insurance folks sent me to). No indication that the car is a write-off or even a hazard to drive. The guy doing the estimate even called in an employee (after the necessary photos had been taken) to use something like a miniature Jaws of Life so that I can now open the front door properly!

THIS guy says if I bring the car in early in the morning, they will have it fixed by the next day. Not like the 4-5 days the other guy quoted. If that is accurate, I might not even need a loaner (not that it matters as the insurance will pay for one if I do need one).

Just waiting now to see if I will have to pay the deductible. If I had the cash, I would bring the car in now and have them fix it and get a refund from the insurance company (if the deductible is waived), but as I don't have that kind of spare cash ATM, and since the car is drivable, I'll just wait for the insurance guy to finish his investigation.

Comment

Wrapping up: my insurance agent called me Friday to tell me I am 0% responsible for the accident and so the deductible will be waived. I'm supposed to drop my car off Monday morning and pick up a loaner. Hope I remember to ask whether they will be looking at anything other than just the body, since the first assessor suggested there might be other damage besides just the body, LOL.

Comment

Always always always always ALWAYS have them check for frame damage!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

I was wondering about that, Jester, given what the previous assessor had suggested. I will mention it. Hopefully they will do so. Or possibly I should call my insurance company before I drop the car off and ASK if I can expect them to do that ...

Comment

So I finally got my car in today for repairs (and I did ask them to check for frame damage; they assured me they would) and the car rental place gave me this as a loaner.

I'm scared to take the damn thing out of the driveway.

And I am most definitely NOT going to try to get it into the garage.

Comment

Working...
                  X