This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth MoonCat View Post
    Well, everyone in your family has made your views clear to your mom. I think at this point you might want to consider just backing away and don't say anymore. If you come down against it any harder you may push her right into his arms, because she's going to dig in and decide her kids aren't going to tell her what to do, even if she herself is having doubts (which she probably won't admit to). People will go to extraordinary lengths to avoid having to admit that they were wrong and someone else was right.
    Well, I haven't actually talked to my mother about it. Just my sister and an aunt have talked to her. I'm "not supposed to know". My sister asked me not to say anything to my mother about it, so I haven't.

Though my sister and I are on the same page.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
      Additionally, my sister and her husband are in law enforcement, and they're concerned that if my mother does this, it could affect them as far as future employment prospects.
      I work as a police dispatcher and so long as I don't voluntarily associate with felons, it can't be used against me. My sister was married to a felon for a while and we even had some issues with him at the school where I work. An employer who holds an involuntary association like that against them probably will not be a pleasant employer to have I would think.
      "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Quoth Shangri-laschild View Post
        I work as a police dispatcher and so long as I don't voluntarily associate with felons, it can't be used against me. My sister was married to a felon for a while and we even had some issues with him at the school where I work. An employer who holds an involuntary association like that against them probably will not be a pleasant employer to have I would think.
        I think my sister and her husband's main concerns is if they get a background check for a job, and this guy shows up.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
          I think my sister and her husband's main concerns is if they get a background check for a job, and this guy shows up.
          If it helps any, our new Sgt has a cousin who is a felon. That was the case when she got hired here. She also used to do the background checks on all our new officers. For our department at least, it wouldn't be a factor. Especially with the fact that this happened after the candidates were grown and out of the house.
          "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Any way to pull up this guy's court records and see just how bad the situation was? Given the charges there should at least be a mention in a local newspaper or something somewhere. It could help to have some direct paper trail evidence to counter his pleas of innocence.

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
              Any way to pull up this guy's court records and see just how bad the situation was?
              Not to my knowledge. We did do a Google search on his name, and found some stuff. My sister found some stuff too. We know the charges, and there is strong evidence against him for at least one of the charges.

It happened in a different state, and each state has varying rules as to what's "public" and what's not. The state where he's currently incarcerated has stricter rules.

My sister also told me recently that she and her husband sat down with their pastor after a church service to get some guidance and clarification from him. She didn't tell me what the pastor told them, just that he "gave us a deeper understanding of what the Bible says".

Comment

Working...
              X