This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Pudding is Lumpy

Anybody else have this problem? You make the instant pudding according to the directions (add milk and whisk for X minutes, then refrigerate). A little later, you go to enjoy your pudding, and you find clumps of undissolved pudding powder in it. Not just little bumps, either; I'm talking big ol' balls of the stuff.

I've tried an electric mixer. I've tried adding the milk all at once or a little bit at a time. I've tried putting the mix and the milk in a sealed container and shaking vigorously for well beyond the recommended time. I get the same results.

I thought about putting it in a blender, but I was afraid it might come out frothy.

Any ideas?
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

It sounds like the powder is drawing humidity. It might help to sift it before mixing in the milk.
    Meeeeoooow.....
    Still missing you, Plaid

Comment

Try adding the powder to the milk, rather than adding the milk to the powder. I've never made instant pudding, but it works for drywall compound and grout, so maybe?
      Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

I was just going to suggest the same thing NecessaryCatharsis did. This is exactly how I make my instant pudding and I've never had a lump. I dump the milk in first, get the mixer ready to go, and then add the powder in slowly until the package is empty and using the mixer as I go.

Comment

I use Kauri's method, only with a whisk and have never had that problem.
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Start with milk, then powder. Okay, I can try that.

I don't think we have a sifter...

Has anybody tried it in a blender?
            I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
            - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
            - IPF

Comment

Huh, strange. I usually use the blender when I'm making pudding, never had an issue with frothing. Milk in, add powder, hit the button, blend for a cycle or 2, pour off into container, then chill.

For that matter, I've used my kitchen Aid mixer with the whisk attachment and let it set up most of the way in the mixer, aerate it like whipped cream.

Comment

Working...
              X