Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do when you can`t do anything?

My sister in law is on bed rest, in hospital, for up to the next 4 months*. After 6 days she is already starting to lose her mind. She can`t do anything that is wifi compatible, it may interfere with some of her monitoring equipment, and she can`t do anything that might make her emotional (ie - board games etc where she gets excited about the outcome). I have brought her my old Gameboy with the remaining three games I can find (okay, I`m a bit of a packrat) and some books. I tried to teach her to crochet but it made her frustrated and angry. She is already getting cranky of sitting around.

Any suggestions?

*She is having complications with her pregnancy, so is on bed rest in hospital until
    1) She miscarries
    2) She delivers
    or
    3) The due date arrives with no change
    Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

When I was on hospitalized bedrest, the hospital had a department that helped me find things to do. They brought me movies, crafts, books, computers, etc. Ask her hospital if they have something like that.

If she has a good laptop computer, or you can acquire one for her, the internet is a great time-sink.

Also, I will PM you some additional information.
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Printed cross-stitch is easier than crochet. Reading.

Comment

Paint-by-numbers. Requires virtually no artistic skill, and looks nice when you're done.
        The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Is she interested in anything like jewelry-making? Simple bead necklaces and bracelets probably wouldn't be that frustrating. Maybe she can get some kiddie craft kits (Alex is a good brand) to make those knotted fleece blankets or simple stuffed animals to give to the children's ward. Those kid craft kits can be fun for adults too, you can paint wooden cars or bobbleheads or decorate messenger bags or make lip gloss and the like. Or maybe your local paint-and-bake studio would let you bring her some of their pottery to paint, and then you can take it back there to be fired and glazed. And these are all things that can be given away so she doesn't end up with a roomful of crafty junk!

If she has access to a handheld device like a DS she can play relaxing games like Harvest Moon or Animal Crossing that won't get her too worked up.

Would she be into writing? I always joke that I'm a writer because it's one thing I can do anywhere- all you need is a pen and some paper. Or sketching, or cartooning. Maybe she has some hidden talents and this enforced rest will bring them out.
          https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

introduce her to the Wheel of Time series.
            Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
            Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

One thing to point out: if she's on the meds I think she's on, she's going to be jittery and have trouble focusing her eyes. Activities that don't require fine motor control would be a better bet if that's the case.
              At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth munchkinmama View Post
                Printed cross-stitch is easier than crochet. Reading.
                I always liked both forms of cross stitch. Various forms of needlepoint and embroidery are also available as printed and yarn/threads included kits. Unfortunately some of them can be expensive =(
                Quoth mathnerd View Post
                One thing to point out: if she's on the meds I think she's on, she's going to be jittery and have trouble focusing her eyes. Activities that don't require fine motor control would be a better bet if that's the case.
                Good point. When I was losing the 7 month struggle, I did labor for about 9 hours. You can see it in the bargello I was working on, the stitches would be neat and tidy and then there would be a few that got a bit tight

I have to admit, the proliferation of basic ebook readers and tablets is wonderful. If you are going to be getting it for a patient in hospital, you need to get an extension cord to make sure the person can charge the thing conveniently while remaining in bed. I love my tablet, with the little SD cards, I can have my entire library of books and music, and movies though they are SD intensive compared to books music. Add a cute SD card case and she would be in good shape for amusement. I have to admit that I have about 20 movies on SD cards that are 'comfort food' flicks - when I am in pain and don't want to need to concentrate on paying attention, I can flip in an old favorite and have amusement that is no brainer stuff. Beats eternally watching crap TV =)
                EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I'd say books too. When I was operated for colon cancer I brought all (at that time) ten books of the Foreigner series by C J Cherryh. I was almost oblivious to operation, anastomosis leak, new operation and raging peritonitis. I were on the Atevi planet with Bren. I am convinced that it saved my reason if not my life (though your prayers and good wishes must have had a part in it too ).
                  If your sister in law can be captured by a book, then get her some she likes on an ebook reader

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
                    introduce her to the Wheel of Time series.
                    This.

Despite my love of reading and the fact that I devour books like candy, this series took me a LONG while to read through. And I'm reading it again.

How about she start doing a daily journal? Or even a scrapbook, for the little one when he/she is older?
                    Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Loom knitting. Requires no skills, no squinting, no small print, can churn out a hat for the baby in 2 hours for a newbie. They make looms in various sizes, get that, some pretty yarn and she can make a blanket for the baby while watching TV.

Comment

Quoth April View Post
                        Loom knitting. Requires no skills, no squinting, no small print, can churn out a hat for the baby in 2 hours for a newbie. They make looms in various sizes, get that, some pretty yarn and she can make a blanket for the baby while watching TV.
                        Not good when someone is at a risk of miscarriage(as the OP stated).
                        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                          Not good when someone is at a risk of miscarriage(as the OP stated).
                          Why not? If it can be done in bed, it's quite suitable.

She actually should talk to her physician about range of motion activities that can be done in bed. There are complications that can arise from that much bed rest.
                          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                            Why not?
                            Well you could ask my friend how she couldn't go to work for almost 3 months after her miscarriage(technically stillbirth at 7 months), and her kids(age 6 and 10) had to pack up the baby things because she came close to a nervous breakdown even walking past the room if the door was open.

In other words: your thinking physical health, and ignoring potential mental health.
                            Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                              Well you could ask my friend how she couldn't go to work for almost 3 months after her miscarriage(technically stillbirth at 7 months), and her kids(age 6 and 10) had to pack up the baby things because she came close to a nervous breakdown even walking past the room if the door was open.

In other words: your thinking physical health, and ignoring potential mental health.
                              Prolonged bed rest has its risks to mental health as well as physical health. And the truth is, there is not a lot medical literature that supports bed rest to prevent miscarriage.

It would be good for the OP to get a second opinion, and ask for clarification on what can be done in bed.
                              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
                              X