Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ways to stay sane until my neighbours get evicted...?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just cannot believe there is nothing to be done legally. My neighbors will end up with citations if there are repeated calls to the police. I'm sorry that I just don't know what to tell you except to consistently call the non-emergency every. single. time. until they get sick of hearing from you. Maybe that will light a fire under the butt of someone who can help.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
      I just cannot believe there is nothing to be done legally. My neighbors will end up with citations if there are repeated calls to the police. I'm sorry that I just don't know what to tell you except to consistently call the non-emergency every. single. time. until they get sick of hearing from you. Maybe that will light a fire under the butt of someone who can help.
      It won't. I had this problem in an apartment I lived in. Asshole 18 year old lived with his mother in the next apartment and BLASTED his music at 3am routinely.

I called the cops frequently, trying to get them to write a ticket, but he always saw them coming and turned the music down. Finally the cops told me, "It's a civil matter now."

It was so frustrating. I had to put up with that little prick for a year. Management was also so fed up with all the complaints, they refused to renew the lease. It was easier and cheaper to wait for that than to go through eviction proceedings. They tried banning the son from the property (he wasn't on the lease, only Mom was) but I frequently caught him sneaking on and off the property.
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

And the fun continues. A few things over the week

-My friend having to chuck out a crackhead they didn't know but seemed to call by a name from the building. They even called my friend "scary" once they saw how effective he was at getting him out of the building...

-A girl from there having a go at the fire alarm tech for doing required testing during the day (yep, it woke me up to and a few more but we just said "testing? ah, ok... thanks.." and let him be.)

-And just now calling the police because they were either roughhousing and throwing stuff/ bouncing off of walls etc or trying to kill each other and screaming lots. (apparently they were having a water fight... at nearly midnight and at volumes guaranteed to wake the dead).

Music has been quieter since my friend threw the crackhead out though... so kinda a bonus on that one....

I *do* have a projected date at which the court might intervene... but its still a few weeks away yet.
        I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

For once in their life the council actually had staff on available to make noise calls...

So they come around and speak to a nice neighbour in the block and to the flat in question via the intercom (with my nice neighbour listening in as we can do with this intercom). Partiers basically claim that no one responsible in name for the flat are there so the council officer just asks them to turn it down and close the windows. Then He drives off again after they've turned it back up and reopened the windows...

Party continued until about 4am. Then shouty noises at 7am.
          I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Wahooo!!!!

The letting agent and/or the bailiffs managed to Ninja me. No music or noise since about 12 noon and then my neighbour tells me there is a notice on the door. I go and check, lock changed, notice to call agents if there is any queries etc.

Now just to wait for the tenant to come back and notice (if she hasn't already but nothing been heard and I doubt they'd notice it and be quiet) and for their stuff to be removed....

Comment

Outstanding! [does the Snoopy dance]

Here's hoping the next tenant is quiet as a mouse.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Great news!!
                Quoth Gizmo View Post
                Now just to wait for the tenant to come back and notice (if she hasn't already but nothing been heard and I doubt they'd notice it and be quiet) and for their stuff to be removed....
                Interesting...in Chicagoland, when a tenant is evicted, their personal effects are removed and stacked in the public right-of-way just off the property.
                I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Congratulations! We promise not to wait outside and do a very loud celebratory party all night
                  The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                    Great news!!
                    Interesting...in Chicagoland, when a tenant is evicted, their personal effects are removed and stacked in the public right-of-way just off the property.
                    I believe they managed to get in and change the locks when she wasn't there and in the UK they normally do a supervised visit to remove personal items from what I can tell. Certainly everything is intact inside at the moment.

Which two of her friends found out the other night as they came back to the property and found the lock changed and decided to spit all over the door and squirt ketchup on it too... Police caught them and whilst I'm not allowed to know what else was found on them I was told it would mean one of them would be facing higher charges than burglary and criminal damage... oops!

As yet the tenant hasn't reappeared so either has been apprehended on other matters or has been told and is working with the court/letting agent politely. One day I will find out...

Kit-Ginevra - I think most of the residents would come and join for the one off in this case.

Comment

Who's got the popcorn? This is just getting better and better!

Comment

We can fairly safely take it they weren't just nobbled for possession of a squirty tomato sauce sachet...
                        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I am so happy for you! I was worried for you. Lack of sleep does bad things to a person.
                          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                            I am so happy for you! I was worried for you. Lack of sleep does bad things to a person.
                            Thank you. A lot of people were worried and I'm glad its kinda sorted a bit quicker than we thought it would take.

To add to the popcorn fuel? The friends who did the damage are apparently residents of another flat in the block.... or should I say currently are. *cough*

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                              We can fairly safely take it they weren't just nobbled for possession of a squirty tomato sauce sachet...
                              So what are you saying? The little baggies of white power isn't confectioners sugar?

Say it isn't so! It must be baking soda!

Comment

Nah - it's a stronger, purer substitute for that "brown vegetable matter" you all heard about when you were younger.

And I'm not talking about cane sugar.

Background: my dad was called for jury service once, and described one of the cases as revolving around what the policemen giving evidence were very careful and consistent in describing, repeatedly, as "brown vegetable matter", which he found amusing. It was left to a forensics expert to confirm that it was, in fact, a form of cannabis.
                                Last edited by Chromatix; 05-14-2015, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X