This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dang, Seshat.
    That was particularly thorough as an overview!
    I found this on soda-- I'm just glad I have like, maybe one a week. Often, two a month.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39543011...and_nutrition/
    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

• soda
      once in a while I'll go on a coke zero binge and end up eating like shit for two days. Then again, my "eating like shit" is 2 bars of chocolate because i realize whats going on and start hitting my system with a crapton of protein and vitamin-laden food instead of sugar.
      Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

• I don't really do the soda thing, really, as most zero cal sodas are sweetened with aspertame which gives me violent headaches. So, I stick with water and iced tea, mostly. I'm going back onto my diet tomorrow, cutting out most sugar and sticking to lots of lean protein, healthy carbs, and lots of fruits and veggies. Gonna suck for the first two weeks, after I've been all lazy and stuff, but I'll get back into it. I swear!

Comment

• Thats a really useful guide to what protein etc is Sheshat thanks.
          Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

Comment

• Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post
            dang, Seshat.
            That was particularly thorough as an overview!
            I found this on soda-- I'm just glad I have like, maybe one a week. Often, two a month.
            http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39543011...and_nutrition/
            You're welcome, TelephoneAngel. And thank you, teh blumchenkinder.

Everyone: what Whiskey and I have been saying in this thread, while extensive, IS just an overview. I think it's horrifying that so much of it is new to so many adults (not an indictment on anyone here, more a 'what is our education system doing?' sort of thing).

Go to your local libraries and get books on nutrition. NOT on 'dieting', but on nutrition theory. Find out what proteins really are and what they do in your body (build muscle and other body parts), why you need iron (oxygen carrying) and calcium (bone construction).

Find out what vitamins ('vital amines') really are, and why you need them, and why you need to eat them. (Humans can't make vitamin C, but use it as a part of all connective tissues. Scurvy, the deficiency disease for vitamin C, starts showing when old scars reopen due to insufficient stuff to keep them closed.)

As a starter level, there are children's and teens' books on the topic. Honestly, I'd recommend the teens' books rather than the adults' books in this case. The adults' books are likely to assume you've read up on the basics, the teens' books won't.

.... and yes, I'm being thorough in my overviews again. But I think this sort of 'trivia' is an essential part of understanding WHY we should 'eat right'. And maybe it's just me, but when I understand why I 'should' do something, I'm a lot more likely to do it.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

• Quoth Seshat View Post
              Go to your local libraries and get books on nutrition. NOT on 'dieting', but on nutrition theory. Find out what proteins really are and what they do in your body (build muscle and other body parts), why you need iron (oxygen carrying) and calcium (bone construction).

Find out what vitamins ('vital amines') really are, and why you need them, and why you need to eat them.
              And while you're at it, find out which vitamins require other vitamins to work, and which ones will block them.

While iron is essential, it requires sufficient copper to be absorbed during digestion and again to be released into the system for use. Calcium is one of the fundamentals for bones, but you need an equal ratio of magnesium as well as several other minerals.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

• Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                Calcium is one of the fundamentals for bones, but you need an equal ratio of magnesium as well as several other minerals.

^-.-^
                But...you shouldn't take calcium and magnesium at the same time.
                I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

• Quoth Bella_Vixen View Post
                  But...you shouldn't take calcium and magnesium at the same time.
                  Right. They compete for the same something-or-other (can't remember the term) to be absorbed. So does phosphorus, which is why dark-type sodas cause issues.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                  X