Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To me it sounds like, for once, Betty's trying to be responsible. And failing. She has no idea just how deep the problems are and whatever she inherited isn't going to be enough to dig her way out.

And not paying her insurance on time IS pure Betty, so all bets are off at this point. I still see foreclosure in Betty's future, she's just put it back again for a little while...

Comment

• Quoth Ghel View Post
      So a couple things happened this week.
      She wanted you to make an assumption so she could contest things later. Your calling to confirm foiled her stupid plan.
      Last edited by MadMike; 07-06-2015, 02:12 AM. Reason: Please don't quote the entire post. We've already read it.
      Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

• I guess this is what I get for wanting to believe the best in people

When will I ever learn?
        My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

• I'm a firm believer in never attributing to malice what might be incompetence, and this is a prime example, yeah, you can attribute all kinds of nefarious motivations to her behavior, but, it's just as (if not more) likely that she's in so deep with so many creditors and is so numbed to people telling her "last chance" that cavalierly throwing around wads of cash at this open hand and that open hand in the hopes of making it all go away is just how the world works to her at this point.
          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

• Yeah, Argabarga, it seems like each of her creditors has worked with her in some way. We have restructured her loans so many times I can't count. The IRS has apparently set her up on a payment plan, since we keep seeing automatic payments coming out of her checking account going to the IRS. (I guess they don't want to take the restaurant, either.) Even the company that delivers food to her restaurant has agreed to continue delivering food as long as she gives them a money order, since they'll no longer take checks from her.
            "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
            -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Well, it's safe to say that the IRS, your bank, and every other creditor does not, in fact, actually want to take possession of a restaurant. That's what a lot of debtors don't understand. They think that if they get in over their head, they'll just hand over whatever collateral secured the loan and all will be well, the bank will call it even, and everybody lives happily ever after.

The truth is, that except for crazy-over secured forms of credit like pawn-shops and title loans, the creditor Does Not Want your collateral if there's any chance they can have the money you owe instead. It doesn't matter if they have to take the collateral from you, or you drop the proverbial keys off at the bank, it's always the last resort.

Ghel, does the bank have some sort of mandatory delay before they'll Force-Place on the property? I'm surprised your bank is still waiting for her to successfully buy a policy...

Comment

• Quoth sirwired View Post
                Ghel, does the bank have some sort of mandatory delay before they'll Force-Place on the property? I'm surprised your bank is still waiting for her to successfully buy a policy...
                This is going to get a bit technical. The TL;DR is that yes, we have force-placed insurance on the house.

A new bit of regulation was implemented this year that forces us to wait 45 days after we send the customer the first letter warning them that, if they don't provide us with proof of insurance, we'll advance on their loan to force-place insurance. We're also required to send them a second letter 30 days after the first one.

Since we want to make sure they have insurance, the bank set up a general ledger account so we can use that to pay the force-placed premium, then pay that GL back by advancing on the customer's loan after the 45 days is up. If the customer gets insurance before the 45 days, the bank eats the premium for the time the force-placed policy was in place, since we can't legally advance on the customer's loan for that amount.

So as soon as we received the notice from MN Fair Plan that Betty hadn't paid the insurance premium, I force-placed insurance using the GL and sent Betty the first letter. It was nearly a month later that I received the letter stating that Betty had sent her premium check after it was due, and the MN Fair Plan was returning it. Even if Betty applies for insurance again, I expect it will take at least a few weeks before it takes effect. I almost wish I could leave the force-placed insurance in place even after we get her regular insurance, but I'll have to cancel it as of the effective date of her insurance. We can't have two policies on the same piece of property.
                "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Any update?

Comment

• Not much of one. We sent a pre-foreclosure letter in the hopes that that would encourage Betty to get insurance, but she took her sweet time about it. She said she was working with one insurance agent, but we got a binder from a different insurance agent. The pre-foreclosure letter expired. The binder expired. I called the agent, and he said the insurance company was still processing it. He also said that an adjuster went out to the house and told Betty she needed to put up a railing on the front steps before they would issue the insurance. Now we're waiting on that.

We haven't started foreclosure yet because the insurance is still in process. If Betty doesn't pay the premiums, we might still start foreclosure, but it would be more headache than it's worth. Both the house loan and restaurant loan are being paid, though Betty's checking account is frequently overdrawn.

Meanwhile, we have force-placed insurance covering the loan.
                    -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Just about what I expected, Betty's not taking the situation seriously again.

Well, the eviction notice should serve as a wake-up call...

Comment

• Quoth eltf177 View Post
                        Well, the eviction notice should serve as a wake-up call...
                        Optimist . . .

Comment

• Quoth morgana View Post
                          Optimist . . .
                          Which is why I said "should" - From all this Betty couldn't understand a clue by four to the head..

I wonder what (if anything) hubby's thinking about how this is going down...

Comment

• Any recent update?

Comment

• Sorry, I've been busy with other loans, so I haven't thought about Betty much.

We finally received homeowners insurance, but I expect in a few months it will get canceled for non-payment or something. Then we'll have to force place insurance again.
                              -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Just a never-ending circle of suck. Maybe it's time for a foreclosure while there's still something to collect...

Comment

Working...
                                X