Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

They don't understand why I am so mad. Am I crazy or is it them?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They don't understand why I am so mad. Am I crazy or is it them?

A bit of background:

A few months ago, my landlady (roommates mother) announced she was planning on selling the house. However, she stated that she had no intention of doing it before Christmas as the house needed a lot of work. Roommate announced his intention to move to a town in the middle of no where. And I mean no where. No public transport actually goes there, and I don't own a car, so the option of us continuing to be roommates was not an option.

I decided to start looking for somewhere else to live before I was kicked out. I did not have a contract to live at the house, so landlady could turn around and ask me to leave whenever she wanted. However, every time she came round I would ask her, and she would continually respond with "Oh, you've got months! Don't worry! I'll tell roommate as soon as I have a date and then he can let you know!"

A friend of mine was buying his own place and upon hearing that my place was going to be sold, he immediately said "Well, I don't want a big old house to myself, so you can share with me!" I was pleased. Again, I continually asked my friend questions about the house. I just wanted to be sure that it was OK for me to move in. The answer was always yes.

So, flash forward to last week. Roommate has his new home and states he will be leaving in the coming WEEKS. Friend also picks up the keys for the new place. Then Sunday arrives. Roommate and I are walking down the street.

R: Oh, I forgot to mention. My mum needs us out the house by Wednesday...
    Me: WEDNESDAY??
    R: Yeah. There's work getting done in the house and we can't be there for it. Too dangerous.
    Me: Well...that's really inconvenient.But friend does have the keys for the new place, so I suppose I can clear out by then. Was this just sprung on you?
    R: No, I've known for a while but this is the first chance I've had to tell you.

First chance?? Yes, I mean, we only see each other every day and share the same group of friends. Roommate moved out IMMEDIATELY after that. I wasn't told. He left and took pretty much everything with him, leaving me with an empty shell of a house.

I called friend and he didn't answer. I text and he didn't reply. I sent a polite but firm message, saying I was going to need the keys for the new place as I was going to be homeless in a few days. He replied five hours later.

"Oh. Well I've just started some work in the house. I don't want anyone in there for another couple of months."

Shit.

"And besides, I've asked my girlfriend to move in with me, so I think it would be better if you didn't live here."

Yep.

So in one day I had gone from having a fully furnished house to soon to be homeless.

I've had no choice but to move back in with my parents while I try and find another place.

Roommate and friend have no idea why I'm mad at them. They even called my girlfriend, saying "Why doesn't he move in with you? That would be good!" We've barely been together a month, so now she's also freaked the fuck out.

Let me put this as concisely as possible: You aren't crazy.

Comment

Are you crazy?

HELL NO!

That's a dick move on your former roomie, and your friend. With a friend like that, you really don't need enemies.
      "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

INAL, but I was a landlord for many years. Check your state laws. Even with no written contract you're likely to have some recourse. Every state is different, but in the state where I am familiar with the laws, the landlord must give the equivalent time as the verbal contract in order to non-renew. In other words, if you pay her weekly, then she must give you a week, or if you pay her monthly, she must give you a month. If she fails, you can sue her for cost (hotel bills, added transportation, removal of commonly owned property, etc), and in some states even punitive damage. I've seen this play out with well informed tenants, and it never ends well for the landlord.

Oh, and you're not crazy. I'd cut all of these people out of my life for good after that.
        At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

CRML is in England. Rules may be different there. He did say he was not on the lease, so his legal options may be limited.

In the US, if you are a resident, it doesn't matter if you are on the lease or not the landlord must still go through the process to evict you. But that creates a legal paper trail that can adverse affect your credit. If you care about your credit and can move, you should.

I agree VS: that was a dick move on the part of the Roommate and "friend." You don't leave someone twisting in the wind like that on something so important.

CRML: I hope you can find a place soon. I know it sucks going back to live with the folks, but on the bright side at least you have a place to stay!
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Shoot, why did I think CRML was in the states. One of these days I'll remember where everybody is. Still though, I would do a quick search of local laws to see if there's any recourse for the abdominal actions of the landlord and roommate.
            At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Lesson learned: any time you're sharing accommodation, make sure you're on the lease.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Do you pay rent? you would most likely be entitled to the end of whatever rent you've paid.

Just talk to the mom, tell her you did not get any notice and you don't have a place to stay maybe you can figure something out.
                Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

If they need to evict you minimum is 8 weeks. Even if you aren't on the lease they'd still need to evict you if you tried to stay - I understand you may wish to avoid that though.

And no, you are not crazy. They are. Totally and utterly.
                  I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Dude. You need new friends; these people suck.

Comment

Definitely not crazy.

Comment

Most certainly not crazy. The ones who are crazy are your friends who pretty much screwed you without the benefit of lube.

Comment

Not crazy at all. I'd be so mad I'd have tunnel vision (did that once...it was scary). What the hell did they think you were going to do? I wouldn't bother with either of these people ever again.
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                            Not crazy at all. I'd be so mad I'd have tunnel vision (did that once...it was scary). What the hell did they think you were going to do? I wouldn't bother with either of these people ever again.
                            Yeah. I might send them both an email or something, concisely stating what happened, and then blow both of them off for good. If they're that oblivious as to why you would be mad, they aren't real friends to begin with.

Comment

Rule # 1a- Never screw over your partner

sounds like a couple of folks need a good head-slap
                              "Much butthurt I sense in you, cry like a bitch you should"

Comment

Working...
                              X