This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on selling an app...

Ok, I'm still developing what I believe will be a good app that will be useful to people. I don't want to go into too many details, but it's going to be a utility, rather than a game. I think it solves a common problem that a lot of us face.

I'm reading a book on selling apps from a business perspective.

I'm wanting advice on what pricing model I should use.

The book illustrates three models:

Free (with ads), pay, and "freemium".

I'm not expecting to make a ton of money from this, but it would be nice.

My "con" for the free (with ads) is that I could see people downloading the apps, but never clicking on the ads. Who does click on the ads? Have you ever clicked on one?

The pay one might generate fewer downloads (sometimes dependent upon pricing point), but could at least net me a little money. Setting a good price point would be key here. It couldn't be too low or too high. But I do think pay might be "worth it", even if the app isn't used very often, because of the problem it solves and the convenience it could provide afterward.

I can see "freemium" annoying a lot of people. This would basically be the app, but without "save" capabilities. And if they wanted the "full" version, they'd have to pay.

So what are your thoughts on this? I'd go into more detail about what the app is, but I want to keep that under wraps for now.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

I'm more likely to download apps that are free +, so I get to use a limited number of times free, or get to use limited functions free. If I am happy with what I get I will pay for an upgrade. If I didn't like what I get I just delete. I seem to be more willing to spend money that way, than take my chance on paying for an app to start with, as most apps offer a free version or the competitors will.

I don't think I've ever clicked on an ad in the middle of an app.
    Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
      My "con" for the free (with ads) is that I could see people downloading the apps, but never clicking on the ads. Who does click on the ads? Have you ever clicked on one?
      A card game that I play has two buttons. Both of them are immediately above the ad. Guess how many times per play I hit the ad by mistake?

(I can't offer advice as to what model is "best"; everything I've ever written is either GPL'd, or else written under contract and therefore not for sale. Except the few things that I released to the public domain.)
      Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
      OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
      she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
      Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

If you did the free with ads, wouldn't you be getting money from the advertisers? At least that's how it works most of the time. The advertisers pay you to allow them to tie their ad to your game/app/newspaper/whatever. I may be wrong though.

Comment

Limited time/limited uses trial period, then pay-for-the-app.

In my experience, most people are more than happy to pay a reasonable price for a well-written useful (or fun) app; so long as they know it does what they want it to do.

Because there are so many poorly written apps that don't do what they claim, people are reluctant to buy things they can't try. So a trial version (rather than a freemium version) is helpful.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
            If you did the free with ads, wouldn't you be getting money from the advertisers? At least that's how it works most of the time. The advertisers pay you to allow them to tie their ad to your game/app/newspaper/whatever. I may be wrong though.
            That's possible, but I don't believe this book mentions that. I'll have to go back and look.

I think the model they're talking about is that an ad is served, and in order for you to get paid for that ad, the app user has to actually click on the ad. And not only that, the ad has to be clicked on a LOT for you to make anything close to reasonable.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
              Limited time/limited uses trial period, then pay-for-the-app.
              I've also heard that people don't like this model, either. It apparently has a politically-incorrect nickname.

so long as they know it does what they want it to do.
              So far, testing on my computer at home shows that it does indeed do what it should -- which will be what the end user wants it to do.

Because there are so many poorly written apps that don't do what they claim, people are reluctant to buy things they can't try. So a trial version (rather than a freemium version) is helpful.
              I'll have to check into this.
              Last edited by mjr; 01-19-2015, 11:18 AM.

Comment

The only way to make everybody happy is to put out an app that is free, without ads, that you update frequently and has tonnes of features. And that still won't make everyone happy.

There are three models of paid app I go for - free up front with a trial period, and free up front with limited functionality, and free up front with ads.

So, #1, download the app. Get to use it for either a time period or number of uses, then decide whether I like it enough to pay for it.

#2, download the app, get to use it indefinitely, but there are features I would have to pay for.

#3, download the app, get to use all the features for all time, but it has ads, and I can pay to make them go away.

#2 and #3 can also be combined, either with separate payments, or the same payment.

Even if you do eventually just start charging up front, you will want it out there for free for a while, in order to get reviews. I definitely will not pay for an app up front if it doesn't have good reviews.
                The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                  The only way to make everybody happy is to put out an app that is free, without ads, that you update frequently and has tonnes of features.
                  The app I'm working on is basically going to do one thing. But it's going to be something that I think will be needed. It will have some basic options, but they will all be related to the main task. I don't know that it will need to be updated frequently, just based on what it does (unless I change aesthetics or layout).

There are probably other apps like this on the market, so I'll have to think of a way to make mine stand out.

Comment

I get freemium games, so as long as you only make them pay for luxuries and make the necessities free, that should be OK.

Like, if you're designing a shopping list app, users should not have to pay to add stuff on the list or see flyers or coupons from local supermarkets, or have them delivered by email. However, if they want you to send coupons and flyers to them through snail mail, that's when you can make them pay.
                    cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Have a free trial of some sort, either a limited-use app or if there's a way to make the app expire after a week or two, and then charge a small amount. $1.99 is usually a reasonable price point (depending on the size and complexity of the app, of course), especially if they have a chance to check it out before paying for it.

Comment

For what it's worth, all the apps I have bought have had a free with adds or free for a limited time mode. Then, if I liked it, I have bought the full version.
                        Of the ones I didn't like, the free with adds are for the most part still on my phone waiting for a future lack of space. The limited time apps was deleted when I decided I could live without them.

Comment

Working...
                        X