Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbors you literally can't talk to?

For a bit of background, if you ever asked me a question starting with "Have your neighbors finished...", I'd just cut you off there with a 'no'. They never have. Big tree they started cutting down last year? Still there; half of it anyway. Fence between us that got flattened by a dead tree from their backyard two years ago and jury-rigged after? I was naive enough to accept being told that they'd take care of it, that's not happening.

I've tried to ask about these things over the years, but the biggest problem I have is straight-up language barrier: there is about one adult next door that speaks English to the point that I can have a conversation without a translation. And that person is not the property owner - it's a rental house, far as I know, and the owner is also rarely around.

They're good folks, it's just that communication is incredibly difficult. I'm looking at taking matters into my own hands and getting my fence fixed and redone this summer, and I'd need to both let them know and get someone over there to move all the stuff they have stacked up against the fence on their side.

My choice at this point is either trying to catch owner dude when he's a) around, b) not elbows-deep in an engine, and c) aforementioned third party is available; or to drop them a letter. Has anyone dealt with this sort of situation before, or am I being dumb and missing blatant alternatives?
    Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
    They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

I have heard that dealing with an irresponsible neighbor can be tough. I never had to deal with it myself. As we love to say around here, "Document, document, document."

I am assuming that no HOA is involved.

Do you have the name of the property owner? If not, you can probably get it from county records (may cost you a couple of bucks to have the land title looked up). Send a letter. If you don't get a response, send a registered letter. After that, I would try talking with the local Zoning Office/Code enforcement. Beyond that, you are into lawyers.

While I am not a lawyer, if the fence is fully on your property, you have the right to move items that are against your fence so that you can service it (laws vary by locality). Of course, you are doing it at your own expense.

Good luck!
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

It might not be case of total irresponsibility though. They might not have a choice--money and time can be short supply. For example, it took me several years to rip out and replace my front porch steps. I live alone, and had to do the work myself. Progress was slow, mostly because I work full-time, and anything I made went to mortgage payments. My neighbors were pretty tolerant with the huge hole in the yard, the pile of rubble in the driveway, and the cement trucks and other vehicles that came and went as the job was finally done. I got *very* lucky that nobody complained--the borough would have had a field day with what was going on.
      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

You say they don't speak any English....do you know what language they do speak?If it's something common such as Spanish or Italian then it shouldn't be any trouble to get a simple letter to them in their own language to explain the problem.I'd be happy to help write it if it's a language I'm fluent in (including Black Cuntroy which is indesoypherable to anoyone outsoyd Dudloy)
        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
          I'm fluent in (including Black Cuntroy which is indesoypherable to anoyone outsoyd Dudloy)
          Derrrr what? I've never heard of that language, and I thought I heard of them all...including that rare one they speak in Monaco which is Monégasque.
          https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
          Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
            Derrrr what? I've never heard of that language, and I thought I heard of them all...including that rare one they speak in Monaco which is Monégasque.
            Here you go.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Country

Some of the dialects around the UK might as well be another language, for all that non-locals can understand them.
            "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Someone this weekend was showing a video of a reality show filmed somewhere in Scotland; evidently it had to be subtitled for the English audience. Meaning, even people from just a couple of hundred miles away couldn't understand the accent!!

In the small section we watched, about the only word I could understand was "fookin'". Which did mean I understood half the conversation, but still...
              “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
              The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Egads, I ask advice and then completely forget to check back. Some specific responses:
                Quoth csquared View Post
                I have heard that dealing with an irresponsible neighbor can be tough. I never had to deal with it myself. As we love to say around here, "Document, document, document."

I am assuming that no HOA is involved.

Do you have the name of the property owner? If not, you can probably get it from county records (may cost you a couple of bucks to have the land title looked up). Send a letter. If you don't get a response, send a registered letter. After that, I would try talking with the local Zoning Office/Code enforcement. Beyond that, you are into lawyers.

While I am not a lawyer, if the fence is fully on your property, you have the right to move items that are against your fence so that you can service it (laws vary by locality). Of course, you are doing it at your own expense.

Good luck!
                No HOA, and all I have is a first name. Conversely, I'm not sure it's actually a rental house per se. All I know is it has a fairly large population, and the last time I tried to get ahold of Dude for something, I was essentially told "you need to talk to Dude, he's not here right now" every time. I finally caught him out doing yardwork and talked to him then. For this specific thing, it is My Fence, so that helps.

Quoth protege View Post
                It might not be case of total irresponsibility though. They might not have a choice--money and time can be short supply. For example, it took me several years to rip out and replace my front porch steps. I live alone, and had to do the work myself. Progress was slow, mostly because I work full-time, and anything I made went to mortgage payments. My neighbors were pretty tolerant with the huge hole in the yard, the pile of rubble in the driveway, and the cement trucks and other vehicles that came and went as the job was finally done. I got *very* lucky that nobody complained--the borough would have had a field day with what was going on.
                Won't deny I suspect that, especially since - on the tree thing - they were doing it themselves.

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                You say they don't speak any English....do you know what language they do speak?If it's something common such as Spanish or Italian then it shouldn't be any trouble to get a simple letter to them in their own language to explain the problem.I'd be happy to help write it if it's a language I'm fluent in (including Black Cuntroy which is indesoypherable to anoyone outsoyd Dudloy)
                It is Spanish, so translating an actual letter wouldn't be hard, even if I just Googletranslated the darn thing. In the end, it's likely just going to be "my fence guy is coming on <dates X, Y, Z>, please move the stacks that are against the fence before then." I still don't know why they have construction-sized steel I-beams in those piles...
                Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
                They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

Comment

Working...
                X