This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drinking Advice

*Disclaimer* Let me say that I am no expert. Some things I say are based on my own experiences. They may or may not work for everyone. So feel free to agree, disagree . That being said lets get started

1. Most important. NEVER DRINK AND DRIVE. Even if you have only one shot, or just one sip. DON'T DO IT. You may think you are okay to drive but you're NOT!!!

2 Never drink on an empty stomach. You need something that will absorb the alcohol. Try to eat something light and some bread before drinking anything.

3 To reduce the chances of getting sick or having a hangover. pick one drink and stick to it. Trust me, drinking beer, vodka, and mad dog 20/20 is a very bad idea. Also refer to no. 2.

4 If your friend is passed out and she has a waterbed. Don't put her on the waterbed. Think about it really. Of course check to make sure she's okay.

Now I will add more later also feel free to add your own.
    Take this job and shove it. I ain't workin here no more.

Proud Air Force Mom

never drink alone. only drink around people you trust.
    If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
    ^_^

Comment

And if you are drinking a lot of booze, drink a lot of water, too. At least as much.

Comment

Yes, and if you are at a party make sure you watch your drink being fixed. Make sure you keep an eye on your glass.
        Take this job and shove it. I ain't workin here no more.

Proud Air Force Mom

Comment

Alternate drinks with non-alcoholic ones. Most bars won't charge for soda or water. But it'll increase how long you can stay up without getting tired from drinking and you won't get drunk fast.
          "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

When drinking around people you don't know (at a party, at a bar, etc) make sure there is one sober person in the group. Even if you aren't planning on driving home, you need someone to keep an eye on you, talk you out of doing stupid things, or apologize for you.

Just because you can get free shots twice on your birthday (after midnight and later that evening) doesn't mean that's a good idea.

If you've been drinking heavily, drink a big glass of water (or two) before bed, even if you're feeling queasy. It will make the morning much better.

If drinking around family, stop way before you think you should. Even (especially?) if they have the good gin.

If you drink a whole ton, then puke, it's probably not a good idea to start drinking again because you feel better. If you have done so in the past, do not tease your sister when she gets sick after drinking all the good gin at the family party but is smart enough to go to bed after that.

Comment

Make sure you eat something before you drink so your stomach is lined with food and the alcoholic effects don't kick in so quickly.

Alternate your drinking between one alcoholic drink and one non-alcoholic drink.

If you are on ANY medication, check with your doctor about whether it's OK to be drinking on them and/or what the effects are. Generally speaking, you should avoid alcohol where possible.
              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Be VERY careful if you decide to drink-and-flirt. It's one of the easiest ways to get yourself date-raped, or simply get your wallet stolen.

Part of the flirtation/seduction process is 'withdrawal' - aka, going off with your partner to be alone. This gives a predator a perfect opportunity to take things further than you intend to go. Even if you do want to have sex with the person, you may be intending to use a condom, or for it to be simple 'vanilla' sex, or just with one person where he/she intends a group scene.

I'd personally recommend never going off alone for sex or flirtiness while you're drunk. But for many people, that's part of the reason to get drunk, so...

Make sure the person can be identified. Clearly. Being clearly identifiable is often a deterrant to predators who realise they can be caught. Get your friends to take good photos of your new playmate with their cellphones, and show the photos to him/her. Practice before you leave, so it can seem playful, but DO it every time.

If they're drunk enough, though, neither deterrance nor pain response will stop someone. Your best bet is to not get drunk enough to make a misjudgement - or not go off alone with someone while you're drunk, ever.

"Fight like a Girl" - one set of useful articles about self defence.
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

NEVER attempt to go drinking after finishing off an XXL pizza by yourself. There is no room in your stomach for beer and you will just feel even more sick.
                  "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Ladies,

#1 - plan your outfit well for a night of drinking on the town. Think through your short skirts, scandelous dresses, and killer heels. If its going to be a crazy night, ensure everything is going to stay in place.

#2 - Pace yourself, because nothing is sexy and confident about a women who can't manage to hold her head up or walk straight.

#3 - go out drinking with a buddy, do not leave the bar/club without buddy, agree on this ahead of time

#4 - always, always take off your heels before passing out in your bed.....always
                    Sorry, my love cannot be bought. And if it could, you obviously don't have enough in your account to do so.

~Do not pass go, Do not collect $200. You lose, my friend, you lose~

Comment

Drink a large glass of water and take 2 ibuprophen before going to bed. This will help lessen your hangover in the morning.

Scratch taking the ibuprophen if you're too drunk to identify which bottle is the ibuprophen or cannot count to 2 any longer.
                      "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
                      HellGate: London

Comment

Do NOT take pain reliever with acetomenaphin (sp?) if you've been drinking or plan on drinking.

Chasers are a joke. Don't waste your money.

I would actually advise against large quanities of water while drinking. While the water will help hydrate you, if you are already intoxicated, large amounts of water will cause you to throw up. Just drink a glass here and there, and don't chug the water. The last time I threw up drinking is because I was extremely drunk and I had several glasses of water very quickly.

Don't ever leave your drink unattended.

No matter how outrageous cabs may seem to be, it's cheaper than a DUI.

And I would actually advise a LARGE meal with some good grease to it before drinking, especially if you don't want to get drunk quickly. However, don't go straight from eating to drinking, give it a little bit.
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Most important drinking rule: Know Yourself. And by this I don't mean, once you are drunk, know what you can and can't do. Know it and INGRAIN it in yourself BEFORE you start drinking. Learn from experience. To quote Captain Jack Sparrow, there are some things you can do and some things you can't do.

Know the difference.

Quoth RavenStarr View Post
                          Most important. NEVER DRINK AND DRIVE. Even if you have only one shot, or just one sip. DON'T DO IT. You may think you are okay to drive but you're NOT!!!
                          I agree with the don't drink and drive part, but to say someone should not drive if they have only had one sip, or one drink? Sorry, but I do believe that is overkill.

Seriously. You're out with some friends for a nice dinner, and you have a single glass of wine with a huge meal. For some people (HI MOM!), this may in fact be too much. But for the average person, it is not.

Myself, I know my abilities. Without any food, I am fine with one beer. With a meal, I am fine with two beers. And by "fine" I mean rock solid.

Getting back to knowing yourself, do not try to keep up with your friend. Me, I can drink with the big boys. But not always the Really Big Boys. For instance, I can drink more than most people of my size. But I cannot keep up with my friend PD who is about 50% larger than me by weight. (160-240). I made the mistake of going shot for shot with him last Super Bowl. It caused me to puke for only the second time since my 21st birthday. I am 39.

Hangover Advice: The best way to cure a hangover is through exercise. Sweating it out. Go for a run, work out, go for a bike ride.

Of course, most people when they are hungover do not have the motivation to do this. So the second best cure for a hangover is Gatorade, or your favorite hydrating beverage. Combined with ibuprofen, this is a great cure. I say ibuprofen not simply because it is my pain reliever of choice, but because it is an anti-inflammatory, and a hangover is caused by the swelling of the brain against the skull, brought on by dehydration. Thus, Gatorade and ibuprofen.

Also, while I do not drink caffeine myself, it is a fantastic way to ease the headache, as it is a vasodilator, allowing the blood to flow more freely.

One last thing: if you are going to make a drunken ass of yourself in public, make sure that there is no one around with any kind of recording device. The last thing you want is a hard record of your drunken buffoonery.

And if you are going to get really, REALLY wasted, drink with strangers. Your friends will remind you of your shit....you'll never see strangers again.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                          Still A Customer."

Comment

As an average rule of thumb, the human liver can process "one standard drink" (10g alcohol) per hour.

standard drinks as per Australian government guidelines. 10g is not a universal "standard drink", btw, but based on a rough google search, it seems to be the most common.

Note that this is NOT necessarily the same as a typical serving size! Many* good bartenders are likely to know how many of their nation's "standard drinks" each of their bar's drinks contains.

Anyway, if you're the hypothetical "average healthy person", you can assume that you'll be completely sober one full hour after finishing one "standard drink".

Adjust for your particular body type and the serving size, and add a margin of error.

* Jester and our other bartenders are more likely (than me) to know if this is common knowledge in the industry.
                            Seshat's self-help guide:
                            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                              Jester and our other bartenders are more likely (than me) to know if this is common knowledge in the industry.
                              It is.

Or at least, it should be, if other bartenders have to attend as many alcohol awareness seminars/classes as we do. And from what I know, they do. At least in Florida and Arizona. Especially Florida.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                              X