This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Yet Another Plea For) Wedding Advice

I'm getting married in August. By the time we get married, Fiance and I will have been together for almost 4 years and lived together for 3. I see getting married as a formality at this point since we've been through a LOT together and we're both very committed to making our relationship work. He is excited about getting married but generally sees our situation the way I do.

We are doing a courthouse ceremony because we are about to be very broke (I'm quitting my job to go to school) and his dad is in poor health so we don't want to wait until we're not broke and miss out on his dad being there. We'd made basic plans (justice of the peace followed by dinner) even before we got engaged. If we had any doubts about not doing a big formal thing, they were completely erased after we were both in The Wedding from Hell (starring passive agressive Bridezilla) and after attending several other recent weddings.

My parents recently offered us some money for our wedding. We thought it was a good idea at the time. Now my mom is doing her best to hijack my wedding plans. She wanted to know if we liked the invitations she picked out, even after I told her that Fiance was designing some since he really wanted to be involved and make something cool. She asked what I was going to do about flowers and started describing different bouquets I could try. I'm not doing anything about flowers, because I think it would be a tad ridiculous to stand with a bouquet in some dude's office. She asked what I was planning on wearing, and when I sent her a link to a really cute blue dress that I would get a lot of use out of, she asked why I wasn't wearing white, even though I had mentioned I have NO interest in wearing white. She wants to know where I am planning on registering, even though Fiance and I think it would be pretty tacky to register somewhere since only our parents and siblings will be attending.

These might sound like minor things, but Fiance and I aren't "settling" for a courthouse wedding when we really want a 300 person wedding with a dress that weighs more than me and a huge cathedral and guests in black tie. Fiance and I were VERY happy with our plans to have a so small it's almost microscopic wedding and I'm really starting to resent my mother's meddling. I've tried to be nice, since I figure it's a mother daughter thing, but I have a younger sister who hasn't been married yet and likes pomp and circumstance. My mom has said she doesn't want me to regret my wedding; I told her we are looking forward to doing our wedding our own way and excited about our simple plans. That didn't help much.

How do I get my mom to stop trying to make my wedding into what she wants without hurting her? I've been fairly direct about our wishes (Mom, we want to get married in the courthouse. We are excited about the opportunity to have an intimate ceremony.) and she's still going on about this, that, and the other. I know she gets some say since she's giving us money (which will mostly be going towards a much nicer dinner than we had planned) but I feel like if I told her "You're annoying. I'm not going to take your money so you have to shut up." it would only cause more problems. I know she thinks she is doing the right thing, because what woman doesn't want x, y or z?

You and the fiance need to sit down with all parental units and go over the plans the 2 of you have for your wedding - small simple court house no frills b/c in both your eyes its just a formality for the courts etc, you've been "living in sin" this long, the piece of paper isn't going to change anything in your eyes... and then inform them that if any money contributed for the wedding comes with strings, you'll be more than happy to return it or not accept it.

the reason you get both sides there is so that your mom doesn't feel singled out or attacked...

and for the record, just b/c they're paying for it doesn't mean they get final say (though opinions and suggestions may be welcome)- its YOUR WEDDING - not theirs!
    I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Short answer, Hand the money back.

Longer answer, Explain that you didn't realize her generous gift came with so many string and that you don't want to hurt her feelings.

Comment

"mom, we love you dearly. but we don't want a really elaborate wedding. we know that you're concerned for us, but please don't be. we are happy with a small wedding and anything bigger would make us regret it. please. i'll accept your help and money, but only in the areas we need."

or something to that effect.
        If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
        ^_^

Comment

My parents had a courthouse wedding which was attended by MOH and BM (my parents were in Northern Ireland in the military at the time). I've never heard either of them say they regretted having a small wedding or that they feel less married. They've been married 35 years.

Why don't you suggest to your mom that you'd rather wear a corsage instead of carrying a bouquet?

My mom carried in her had a handkerchief that had pennies and breadcrumbs tied into it. Her MOH made it for her. The pennies were so that they'd never be destitute and the breadcrumbs were so that they'd never go hungry. On their honeymoon, my mom purchased two handkerchiefs with handmade lace edging. She saved those handkerchiefs and my sister and I each carried one tied with pennies and breadcrumbs on the day of our weddings. You're welcome to "borrow" this family tradition.

Maybe you could put your mom in charge of getting a small, but tasteful cake to have at the dinner? This way she feels involved.

HTH!
          Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

"Mom, this is my wedding day, not yours. I love you too much to fight over something like this. I appreciate the offer of fiscal support, but if you are going to carry on trying to force me into something I do not want to do, I would rather not have it. "
            The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Welcome to my world ... my family are all pigheaded

My first hubby and I got married JOP at a party in our appartment that was also a division party and a housewarming all rolled into one.

Knowing the family tendency towards porcine cranium syndrome, I sent my parents invitation out the tuesday before the saturday of the party, figuring that they couldnt possibly wedge a weekend open that soon in their regular schedules. They showed up thursday.

Mom wanted to take me out and buy me a dress. She wanted to rent a church [um, Im now pagan/heretic and John was Roman Catholic - not happening] They wanted to rent a hall [not in Virginia Beach on 1 days notice. That was just not happening] The sub was deploying for a 5 month med run. We were NOT delaying the wedding.

I put my foot solidly down. We allowed them to take John, Rob, his girlfriend Lori and I out for a 'rehersal dinner' Friday night. We allowed them to buy a sheet cake. We allowed them to throw us a reception after the ship got back at their house [they made out the invitation list. I registered under protest as I considered it annoying to have a reception that nobody was invited to the wedding, it ended up being a lot of my parents friends and business and political associates. I can see it as payback for weddings they had been invited to. On the plus side, I scored a very expensive waterford crystal fruit bowl that was many hundreds of dollars that is spiffy and i would never have bought for myself but conversely I got pastel pink, peach and grey bath towels and I had asked for jeweltones]

I say sit them down, be firm and tell them that you have the wedding all planned, and you would be most willing to give back the money but you would still want them at the wedding.
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Treasure View Post
                You and the fiance need to sit down with all parental units and go over the plans the 2 of you have for your wedding - small simple court house no frills b/c in both your eyes its just a formality for the courts etc, you've been "living in sin" this long, the piece of paper isn't going to change anything in your eyes... and then inform them that if any money contributed for the wedding comes with strings, you'll be more than happy to return it or not accept it.
                Absolutely! Brilliant advice, and basically similar to what I was going to say.

Quoth Treasure View Post
                the reason you get both sides there is so that your mom doesn't feel singled out or attacked...
                Or conversely, just pull your mom aside one day out of earshot of everyone else, and politely but very, VERY firmly tell her that this is your wedding, and you are doing it your way, and please, if she loves you and respects you, allow you to do that.

You know your mom better than we do, so you know which approach she would respond best to. The "not being singled out" version or the "not being publicly embarrassed" version.

To my credit, if/when I ever get married, I have no worries about my mother and what she may do. My older sister, however, is a whole different matter.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

I've been in the same situation with the boy's mom and it wasn't easy to get her to see that what I'm doing is really what I want and that the only way I'm going to regret my wedding day is if I give up on what I want to make others happy. It is one of those situations where you really do kind of have to figure out the right thing to say on your own, just try and keep in mind that she is trying to be helpful.

Comment

Working...
                  X