This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check w/ your Dr - its possible that you may be allergic to Iron;
    My mom is - She can only eat about 3-4 bites of broccoli before she has to push it away, she can't take multi-vitamins w/ iron in it, and when she was given an Iron injection (30 yrs ago - after giving birth) B A D things happened - the Dr's said "lets not ever do that again - ever" even prior to the shot (IIRC) her grandmother would make liver and onions - and mom would be salivating as she walked in the door, take 3 bites, and run for the toilet - its coming back up

again, Check with your Dr - explain to them all your dietary habits - eat A, B, & C, and still anemic - WTF over? even if not allergic, Dr should be able to either suggest things for you, or refer you to a nutritionist who can help.
    I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Do you eat pork? It's nutritionally red meat. I second the beans and lentils suggestions. Also, have you talked to your doctor about your problem with supplements? I had one offer to get me a prescription, there's apparently one that's not pseudo-OTC that is easier on the stomach (not sure if that's what you tried). And, again, not sure if it's what you tried, but have you tried taking a prenatal iron supplement? My mom's on them, and my doctor recommended them to me as less irritating.

Another option - my BC pills made me throw up if I wasn't careful. This meant that I could take an iron supplement, but only when I wasn't taking my pills. Have you tried taking the placeholder pills? You say they're iron, and if you have trouble like mine, they might be ok.

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
        You can't eat red meat at all? Even really thin cuts of beef? Stir fry?

Cutenoob
        I've never really been a fan of beef, not even growing up. It always gave me stomach problems. When I moved away from home and started cooking for myself, I just stopped buying it or eating it. Proteins in my diet come largely from poultry and seafood.

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
        Are you able to digest pork? It's not quite red, but definitely not white.

Rapscallion
        Didn't think of that. Not really a pork fan, per se, but never really actively tried to incorporate it into my diet, either, so, I don't know.

Quoth Whiskey View Post
        Chickpeas are good iron too. Eat you some hummus (its delicious!)!
        LOVE HUMMUS!!!

that is all...

Quoth Magpie View Post
        Also, have you talked to your doctor about your problem with supplements?

Another option - my BC pills made me throw up if I wasn't careful. This meant that I could take an iron supplement, but only when I wasn't taking my pills. Have you tried taking the placeholder pills? You say they're iron, and if you have trouble like mine, they might be ok.
        Tried the prescription route for supplements, they made me just as sick, and I've tried various versions of OTC supplements. Didn't try prenatal, though. As for the BC placeholders, I stopped taking them after the first few months because they felt like I was taking a supplement. Same symptoms all over. Yuck.

I'm going to see about getting a doctor's appointment in the coming weeks. Until then, I'm going to stock up on iron rich foods and try to donate again next week, see if this is just an anomalous occurrence.

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
          LOVE HUMMUS!!!
          Chickpeas have 6x the iron of veggies. Make homemade hummus (i can get you a recipe if you want). Eat it all. I've even found a recipe where hummus was the mayo for potato salad. I've never tried it though.
          Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

I already make my own.

I just haven't in a while. Ran out of tahini...

Comment

hummus

tahini...
              gimme your recipes.
              Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

o.0 erm...okies...I've got a few, though.

Basic Hummus with tahini
                2 cups canned garbanzo beans, drained
                1/3 cup tahini
                2 tablespoons lemon juice
                1 teaspoon salt
                2 cloves garlic, halved
                1 tablespoon olive oil
                1 pinch paprika
                1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley

Blend beans, tahini, juice, salt and garlic in food processor until smooth. Scoop into bowl or serving dish. drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with parsley and paprika. Eat. YUM!

Variations on a theme!

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
                1/3 cup tahini
                1 teaspoon salt
                2 cloves garlic, halved
                1/2 cup roasted red peppers
                1/4 tsp dried basil

As before, toss everything in a food processor and whirl until smooth. Season with salt and pepper if desired (doesn't need it!!!) and serve. This one tastes better if you let it sit in the fridge overnight.

Spinach and Feta Hummus
                1/3 cup tahini
                3 tablespoons olive oil
                1/2 cup fresh spinach
                3 oz crumbled feta cheese
                1 tsp red pepper flakes
                2 cloves garlic, halved

Throw everything but the feta and pepper flakes in a food processor and blend until smooth. Then add feta and pepper flakes. Blend again until smooth. Chill. Eat.

Those are just the quick ones I could find. Somewhere I've got a roasted eggplant hummus recipe that's a bit more time and labor intensive. And I can't find my black olive hummus recipe OR my spinach artichoke hummus recipe, OR my sun dried tomato hummus recipe!! Curses!!!

Erm...yeah, as mentioned, I lurves hummus. Just haven't made it in a while.

Comment

Didn't think of that. Not really a pork fan, per se, but never really actively tried to incorporate it into my diet, either, so, I don't know.
                  Lean strips in a stir fry - cover it in whatever sauce you want and it will taste of ... that sauce, more or less.

Rapscallion

Comment

Oh these recipies look yummy for the hummus.....nom nom nom ...I'm going to try them now thanks
                    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                      Lean strips in a stir fry - cover it in whatever sauce you want and it will taste of ... that sauce, more or less.

Rapscallion
                      I do like making stir fry. My poor wok gets used regularly.

question, though. What cut of pork is best for a stir fry? I know virtually nothing about pork or beef. Like I said, I prefer poultry or seafood as my meats.

And you're welcome, telecomgoddess, hope you enjoy!!! Once I find my other hummus recipes, I'll post them, too.

Comment

I'm no pork expert, but lean boneless pork chops wouldn't be bad. Of course, my usual method of cooking pork involves cooking boneless ribs in bbq sauce....so good!
                        "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                        Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

o.0 erm...okies...I've got a few, though.

<. . . Recipes snipped and placed into recipe file. . .>
                          Sounds awesome! I love hummus as well.

Anyway, I have a hereditary blood trait called Thalassemia, in it's mildest form. While I do not need the regular blood transfusions, I do not absorb Iron like most, and the Doctors actually find it spilling if they test for it.

The only way to keep my iron levels up is for me to take Folic Acid (B9?). Somehow this aids the absorption of the iron into my blood. It may help you as well.

Of course, seeing a Doctor like others have said would be wise in order to determine why you're levels are so low (unless you've already had this diagnosed...)

Eric the Grey
                          In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

I've got mild anemia myself and a dislike for leafy greens. I've found that exercise and lots of sunlight help me. And I take an iron supplement, Tandem. I know you've taken a lot of different pills though, so that may not work for you. Do you like fish? Meat of any form can help from my understanding.
                            My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

question, though. What cut of pork is best for a stir fry? I know virtually nothing about pork or beef. Like I said, I prefer poultry or seafood as my meats.
                              Admin Assistant is spot on about boneless pork chops. Not sure, but that probably covers what I know as pork steak. Anything from around the top end of the pork leg would be great, quite frankly.

Rapscallion

Comment

Stir fry meat is like stewing meat. The correct meat is the cheapest you can get. When you cut it, make sure to cut across the grain - if it's tough you won't notice anymore, because you're cutting it so thin. Marinade it for 20 minutes as you chop everything else and it'll be fine (I'm assuming you have multiple cutting boards/knives, and I do understand that it's a pain to do meat and then something else).

Comment

Working...
                                X