This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Magpie View Post
    (I'm assuming you have multiple cutting boards/knives, and I do understand that it's a pain to do meat and then something else).
    Actually, given that I like stir fry a lot, on days off I buy veggies in bulk, cut them all up, then vacuum seal them and freeze them. All I have to do after that is pull them out and while they thaw, I cut up meat and toss it all in the wok.

I like making my life easier when I can.

I'm going to the grocery store today <CRINGE!!!> I'm going to look into buy some kind of pork and try it in a stir fry in the next day or two.

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
      Actually, given that I like stir fry a lot, on days off I buy veggies in bulk, cut them all up, then vacuum seal them and freeze them. All I have to do after that is pull them out and while they thaw, I cut up meat and toss it all in the wok.
      *sniff* I miss using my Wok. I was just getting the hang of it when we moved to an apartment with an electric stove.

Eric the Grey
      In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

I have an electric range. Unfortunately, it's not the best, but the wok is carbon steel that I've had almost a year, and season religiously, so I make it work.

I ended up buying a few pork chops tonight, though Mama Lupo received a slightly panicked phone call earlier tonight from me demanding to know why there were so many cuts of pig to choose from. I didn't know there were so many parts of the pig. >.>

Comment

Lupo my dear, I'm surprised no one else mentioned it; vit d, vit b-complex, and vit c liquid supplements. I have to do all in order to keep my levels up. My last blood test I was so low on those my doc wanted to know when I was starting the zombie invasion. And yes for some reason when my vit-d and vit b are low so is my Iron. And I's love the red meats.

Comment

Well I'm going to try the hummus recipies cause they sound yummy. I'm also getting iron supplements and vitamin d supplements, I already take b vitamins like crazy.

Guess I'll be going for another blood test in 3 months...I hope all this helps all of us who are low...
            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

... I didn't know there were so many parts of the pig. >.>
              They do use everything but the squeal.
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

*cracks knuckles* Ok, my uber list of things irony
                I'm currently on Venofer (the Iron via IV)
                You can also get Iron shots, but you have to talk to your doctor.
                Mango's high in iron and Vitamin C
                Pomegranite juice
                Black licorice
                Black strap mollases
                Almonds
                Brocoli
                Sadines
                smoked oysters
                liver (You can get chicken livers, their not as 'red meaty' as beef livers)
                Also on the liver note, a real quick way to make it taste better is to soak it in milk at least an hour before cooking.

Comment

I've never really ever developed a taste for liver, much to my mom's chagrin. She, my sister, my grandma, my stepdad, my--well, you get the idea. everyone in my family loves liver. Except me.

I try to avoide getting shots, if I can help it, though. Blech.

Mango. Seriously? MANGO??

As if I needed a reason to eat more fruits!

And by pom juice, I take it you mean the real stuff, not the bottled mixes/cocktails you find in the juice aisle of the grocery stores, right?

I tried pork in my stir fry for the first time tonight. It was...interesting. Like I said, I don't eat it much, so it was a new experience. I think i cooked it a bit too long because I didn't know when it was done, so it was a little tough. We shall see if I get it right tomorrow. And the stir fry had lotsa broccoli in it, as well as shelled edamame and sugar snap peas. Tasty. I rescheduled my appointment for this Friday, so we'll see if I can get my iron up by then.

I finally hit the point when I realized I was anemic, because, despite knowing how badly it'll hurt afterward, I found myself craving a hamburger badly today. That's usually the internal signal for me. Funny that it didn't hit until AFTER I find out how low it is.

Anyways, thank you for adding to the list, FreakyGeek. I have more fruits and veg for my list. And I think I still have some almonds in my pantry, I'll start munching on those for snack times. Thank you!

Comment

I tried pork in my stir fry for the first time tonight. It was...interesting. Like I said, I don't eat it much, so it was a new experience. I think i cooked it a bit too long because I didn't know when it was done, so it was a little tough. We shall see if I get it right tomorrow.
                    Thats why I dont like pork. Delicious stuff, but I'm afraid I'll undercook it every time. Also, look up a cravings list. What you're craving isn't usually what your body wants. A signal gets mixed up in your brain, so when you need Calcium you crave sugar (not true, i'm just making a made up example)
                    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Really? Huh, interesting.

<wanders off to Google>

ETA: My google-fu sucks tonight. All I found were articles about how to stop food cravings while dieting, or food cravings for pregnancies. >.>
                      Last edited by lupo pazzesco; 08-03-2010, 02:54 AM.

Comment

My mother used two tricks with liver:

(1) Slice very thin (1/8" or less), bread in spiced flour*, sauté in bacon fat.
                        *flour with a little salt, pepper & paprika

(2) Recognize that 10-20% of livers are going to have a strong / odd flavor and not force us to eat them. Most of my family now consider a different flavor liver to be similar to a different flavored cheese... a little of a powerful one won't kill us, and it might be good.
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

See, for me, it's not just the flavor of liver, but the texture (Gods help me I just KNOW this next line is going to cause comments...). The mouth feel of it is odd and I just can't get past that, it just doesn't work for me. Believe me, I've tried, but yeah, liver is not for me.

Comment

Ugh when did the conversation turn to liver

But I want to say Lupo....i tried your spinach and feta cheese hummus and it was freakin' awesome
                            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Glad you liked it! I found my big ol' Binder O' Recipes. Now I just need to go through it and find my other hummus recipes. I want the roasted eggplant hummus now. Been craving it ever since I posted the other recipes. And I have one lone eggplant left in my fridge, just BEGGING to be made into hummus!

Comment

And I have one lone eggplant left in my fridge, just BEGGING to be made into hummus!
                                Um, moussaka?

Also, the cravings list http://www.naturopathyworks.com/pages/cravings.php
                                Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Working...
                                X