This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diet Advice!

Hey, this is really from a Check it Out! posting, but...
    Continuing from "wow chorizo's really a fat, not a meat," I usually eat during the day when I'm hungry-- which means that I really don't keep track of much of anything. I try to drink only orange juice (of the juices) because it has a lot of nutrients that I try to get from diet, rather than from a pill. True, it has a fruit-amount of sugar, but yeah, like you said, Whiskey, it's still sugar.
    Any one else: diet and exercise. We all need it. How many of us still aren't quite getting in the routine we need to be in? Certantly I'm in the slacker category. For Pete's sake, my university offers free gym membership to full timers, and I still can't get off my fat tookis!
    Like I said in the other thread, I really don't have any consistency in my diet, aside from bread-like carbs and dairy and eggs. Sometimes I eat fresh, others, not so much. Sometimes I go to Pita Hole (which is really a Pit), sometimes I just get Jack. Usually don't go out to eat. On average? Oh, once a week?
    EDIT wow where'd the rest of my thread go? Anyway, I'm trying to get on a more consistent diet, and advice on how to make and keep a healthy fridge and pantry would be much appreciated.
    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

oh yeah me too, I'm really unhappy with how unhealthy I am, but in between the last thread and this one, having said i was trying to eat healthily, I accidently ate some chocolate covered icecream with some cherryade.

Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

Comment

I dont even know where to start with general information, but I'll address some stuff in your post.

Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post
      I usually eat during the day when I'm hungry-- which means that I really don't keep track of much of anything.
      Get yourself a free account at the daily plate and start logging your food. You'd be surprised how bad a diet can be if you're not paying attention. I eat on a schedule. Not a strict one. If I eat at 8am, ill glance at the clock. when 11 rolls around, I eat again. And a 2, 6 and 9. You should be eating at least five meals per day. It prevents cravings, crashes, keeps you feeling energetic and it reduces the need to gorge yourself.

I try to drink only orange juice (of the juices) because it has a lot of nutrients that I try to get from diet, rather than from a pill.
      Real juice (not from concentrate, no added sugar) is okay once in a while. 99% of your liquids should be 0 calories. 98% of your 0 calorie liquids should be water. The brain registers thirst as hunger, which makes you eat more. If you are regularly drinking water throughout the day, you'll eat less and be properly hydrated. Dehydration is terrible, even if its mild. Your nutrients will come to you in your food. You shouldn't rely on liquids for nutrients.

Any one else: diet and exercise. We all need it. How many of us still aren't quite getting in the routine we need to be in? Certantly I'm in the slacker category. For Pete's sake, my university offers free gym membership to full timers, and I still can't get off my fat tookis!
      You dont need to go to a gym to work out. If you have a mentality of the gym being a bad place, a painful place, then the gym is never going to work for you. The only diet and exercise regiments that work are the ones you enjoy. Your diet is not temporary and neither is exercise. Your body is the most important thing you need to take care of. Invest in good food, learn to cook, and exercise it. The first time I hit the gym hard after sitting on my ass for years, I felt like i had done a line of cocaine. I was energetic, a bit light headed, excited and ready to everything.

Like I said in the other thread, I really don't have any consistency in my diet, aside from bread-like carbs and dairy and eggs. Sometimes I eat fresh, others, not so much. Sometimes I go to Pita Hole (which is really a Pit), sometimes I just get Jack. Usually don't go out to eat. On average? Oh, once a week?
      You could treat yourself to so much better. Pop into the last 2 pages of the LUPO!! thread and look at my daily food.

If you look at proper eating and exercise as a chore, you will fail. I do my stupid avant garde salads and what not because its FUN. I lift weights because I like feeling like I could flip a car if I wanted to. I enjoy myself.

Quoth TelephoneAngel View Post
      I accidently ate some chocolate covered icecream with some cherryade.

You cant use this mentality either. You didn't accidentally eat some chocolate covered ice cream. You made a deliberate choice to get up, walk over, and eat it. That sounds kind of harsh, i dont mean it to. The way you think is way more important than people give it credit for.

I had a cup of frozen yogurt yesterday. Didnt freak out about it, didnt run for five hours a treadmill. Its one cup of frozen yogurt in a sea of good eating.

Oh and if you do eat out, get a nutritional guide before you order.
      Last edited by Whiskey; 08-21-2010, 07:47 PM.
      Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Cherryade? What is this wondrous, undoubtedly sugary concoction that I have not tasted??
        "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
        "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post
          Cherryade? What is this wondrous, undoubtedly sugary concoction that I have not tasted??

oh do you not have it over there?You know what lemonade is? we have cherryade, limeade, orangeade, pineappleade, all sorts of ades.

cherryade is very sweet, only vaguely tastes of cherries, and is full of calories, and very bad for you and i shouldn't be drinking it.

I wonder if it is like any of the flavoured gatorade things you have, or mountain dew?

Comment

BUH! Appearing thread! You and I posted at the same time, W! Anyway. Yeah. Crashes. I hate those, especially since hypoglycemia and diabetes is in the family and DO NOT WANT. I do walk, probably about an hour a day between all my classes over the year, but I don't think that's enough.
            Let's see: how can I make eating right a fun thing, rather than, "Oh, gotta cook!" sort of mentality? I can cook, I just usually don't, or throw something in a pan and fry it (like eggs).
            Edit: Sonic's, a fast-food place, has limeade... maybe some of the fancier/more city stores have pinappleade?

Comment

How can I go to the supermarket and buy things to eat............rather tha come back and find i have bought lots of things which won't make a meal, and are bad for me?

Comment

I can't do the standard 2-week grocery shopping. I'm in my grocery store every other day. I pick up my staples (lentils, eggs, spices/herbs, generic meat stuff, etc) and then I pop to the store for whatever I'm making. Yesterday I made

It cost me 8$ because i had to buy most of the ingredients since I was out. It actually made more than that, enough to feed me for 3-4 meals (sans salmon)

Walking is not enough. if you have diabetes in your family, you really need to stop with the sugary drinks/juices.

I love that posts 3-5 in this thread are worshipping sugar drinks.

regarding things being bad for you, READ YOUR LABELS. Read EVERY label. Be aware of serving sizes and servings per container. It becomes second nature faster than you'd think.

And I'd bet 100$ I can make a meal out of whatever you brought back from the store. Be creative!

If daily shopping isnt possible, make a meal plan. Monday is beef day, Tuesday is fish day, Wednesday is vegetarian day so you have some semblance of structure. Or just outright plan every meal youre going to eat for the next 2 weeks if that works better for you.
                Last edited by Whiskey; 08-21-2010, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Protein: Lean Beef, Pork, Chicken, Turkey, Tuna, Cottage Cheese, Egg Whites, Fish, Protein Powder

Carbohydrates: vegetables, multi-grain breads/bagels, oats (steel cut or quick oats), fruits (the most caloric dense you can find prunes, dates, raisins, berries), whole-wheat pasta, brown or white rice, sweet potatoes, yams, and Ezekiel products.

Fats: Olive Oil, Egg Yolks, Fish Oil, Flax Oil, Nuts, Natural Peanut Butter, Almond Butter, and Avocados.

Theres a starter list of delicious, healthy foods.

Also, i really, really, really reccommend this book to everyone http://brainoverbrawn.com/get-the-book/ the e-book is completely free, but you can support the author and buy it on amazon if you want (i didnt write it, dont know the guy)

Comment

Yeah, that's why I think sugar is my Bad Thing. :P
                    I've started reading labels. Go me!
                    I've thought over the past, and when things go well with the fridge. It seems to go better when I have a bunch of pre-cooked stuff, like when I made a bunch of lentils (which, btw, checked out the Lupo thread-- OMG O__O could only find bewbs). I might try the going to the store more often schtick, most of my fruits go bad before I can eat them all unless I buy canned, and canned is bad or at least not as good.
                    I might schedule some treadmill time at the gym, and go from there-- getting used to the gym, then doing some lighter non-free weights. Or those tiny ones that are like 10 pounds each.
                    What did you do to those lentils there, Whiskey?
                    EDIT: Buh, sneaky thread is sneaky. Thanks for the list of Healthy Whiskey Stuff ^tm

Comment

My mom got me the Eat This, Not That Supermarket Survival Guide for Christmas. It's got some good stuff in it. Their website has lots of info, too.

6 Rules of Good Nutrition is a good place to start. (The only thing I hate about the site is the slide-show format, which reloads the whole page with each slide.)
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Its probably an okay book, i havent read it. I tend to distrust anything coming from a magazine with "health' in the name. Some of the dangerous, out right dumb, stuff they put in there concerns me.

Whiskey's Super Kawaii Diet Thats Not A DIET.

Meal 1:
                        2 eggs, scrambled in 1/4 c of milk. Pan LIGHTLY buttered. Add in tomatoes, cilantro, cayenne, black pepper, a pinch of salt, and mushrooms
                        1 slice of sourdough bread, toasted, no butter
                        An assortment of vegetables

Meal 2:
                        1 cup Fage yogurt (0%) with a couple teaspoons of honey

Meal 3:
                        Pan cooked (light butter) chicken breast, coated in black pepper, tumeric, stuffed with 1 slice of cheese, 2 slices of bacon and some green onions.
                        1/3 cup of spinach

Meal 4:
                        1 cup Fage yogurt, with honey
                        2-3 tablespoons of peanut butter
                        Half a piece of left over chicken

Meal 5:
                        1 ounce of salmon
                        1 cup lentils with sauteed shallots and green onion
                        light drizzle of olive oil
                        1 roma tomato cut up

This is what most of my days look like. Theres variations. The salmon is usually a tuna steak, or just regular canned tuna. I eat it and its tasty.

I might schedule some treadmill time at the gym, and go from there-- getting used to the gym, then doing some lighter non-free weights. Or those tiny ones that are like 10 pounds each.What did you do to those lentils there, Whiskey?
                        I hate the treadmill. Its monotonous and so much effort for so little. I really recommend trying Couch to 5K, its a great program.

Free weights are weights that are free. Those tiny 10lb dumb bells are free weights. You seem scared of "free weights", why?

I boiled them, then dumped them in a shallot/green onion sautee. little bit of olive oil too.

Heres 7 Habits of Highly Effective Nutrition from an actual PhD.

I get snooty about source, just because bad information can do a LOT of harm. (not saying your information was bad, but there is a lot of bad info out there). That article isn't bad at all my link is entirely different.

Also note, my diet should not be YOUR diet. I eat quite a bit of food because I squat 130lbs on a regular basis. If you're less active, you eat less. If you're more active, its time to invest in protein powder.
                        Last edited by Whiskey; 08-21-2010, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                          I

You cant use this mentality either. You didn't accidentally eat some chocolate covered ice cream. You made a deliberate choice to get up, walk over, and eat it. That sounds kind of harsh, i dont mean it to. The way you think is way more important than people give it credit for.
                          Yes you see, but that is some of the problem.Take the icecream, I don't know why I ate it I didn't particularly want it and yet................I ate it anyway.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                            Its probably an okay book, i havent read it. I tend to distrust anything coming from a magazine with "health' in the name. Some of the dangerous, out right dumb, stuff they put in there concerns me.
                            I know what you mean. The advice they give is pretty down to earth (a lot of it is really common sense). The link I posted includes things like "Eat More Whole Foods and Fewer Science Experiments" and "Drink Responsibly" (which is all about the sugar we consume in liquid form, including juices). The book has sections on what to look for in each department (meats, produce, dairy, etc.) and also specific product recommendations, from the best to the worst in various categories (like, drink real chocolate milk instead of Yoohoo chocolate "drink") and how to read labels.

There is also a book called Food Rules by Michael Pollan (who wrote The Omnivore's Dilemma, which was quite interesting). It's a little book and a quick read but has some good things to keep in mind when choosing what to eat. Excerpt here:

#47 Eat when you are hungry, not when you are bored.
                            #11 Avoid foods you see advertised on television.
                            #19 If it came from a plant, eat it; if it was made in a plant, don't.
                            #36 Don't eat breakfast cereals that change the color of the milk.
                            #39 Eat all the junk food you want as long as you cook it yourself.
                            Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 08-21-2010, 08:30 PM.
                            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth TelephoneAngel View Post
                              Yes you see, but that is some of the problem.Take the icecream, I don't know why I ate it I didn't particularly want it and yet................I ate it anyway.
                              You were bored. Boredom eating is one of the worst things. So is not paying attention while eating. You eat a lot more if youre watching TV while doing it because your brain isnt focused on your body telling it that its done eating. So you just keep eating...

If you're bored, your brain wants SOMETHING. Eating makes you feel good. Ice cream is tasty.

Drinking water and eating every 3 hours will almost completely fix boredom eating. Also, ask yourself questions. "Why am I eating this if I'm not hungry?"

I also dance to music when I get bored. 30% of my day is spent dancing in my living room.

Comment

Working...
                              X