Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shelter workers don't want to euthanise either.

... sorry, if I expand on that sentence this will become a fratching thread.

Anyway: don't restrict yourself to shelters when deciding where to surrender him. Many vets will treat a treatable patient if the owners will surrender him/her, simply because they became vets to care for animals. The pet then gets given a good home with a family the vet knows who have a need for a pet.

Vets know their patients and their patients' families more intimately than any shelter can know the people who walk into the shelter.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Yeah, I meant vet or shelter.
      I just don't want to dump on them a super-sick cat because I can't afford to treat him...it feels like I'm using their niceness. I know that's why they do it, so people without money will know their pets will get help.
      I'm going to go try to find him and get another good look at how he is, then I'll call a vet to ask if I can bring him in and what I need to do about it. Do they make you sign a thing or something? I mean, he is my mum's cat, is it even legal for me to surrender him?
      I know these are probably stupid questions, but I have to wait until my husband gets home either way, so I might as well find out what I can before I go do this.
      Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
      http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

You could say he is a stray that you found.
        You keep saying you don't have money and can't afford the vet care... Have you called or e-mailed the groups I told you about? They will help pay for the Emergency (which this is) vet care. They do not want pets to suffer just because the owner can't afford it.

When my cat was having a UTI and I was pretty much broke, I called my old vet. They said to bring her in and they waived the office visit fee and all I had to pay for was the medicine. I'm not saying every vet will do that, but many will work with you so that the cat will get the treatment it needs and you don't go in the hole trying to pay for it.

If you have to surrender him, take him to a vet, not a shelter.

Comment

When I looked at the websites, they all said you needed proof of need, which because I don't have documentation (I'm 19 and my job was seasonal, so only a basic tax form) and they said it could be up to a two week wait for help. Also, the sites that had a shorter wait time were non-emergency care. I would take out a loan, but I have nothing as collateral, plus my husband is paying off a college debt that is equal to what he earns. I have thirty-two dollars that I can spend. Would that even cover an office visit? If not, I'll find a nice box and a towel, and we'll take kitty to the 24-hour emergency clinic. I'll tell the vets that we found him and were taking care of him for a while (which is true, I guess) and he started getting sick. But what would I tell mum?
          Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*

Comment

"Taking it personally" just means you care a lot and love Spiggit-- a suffering animal isn't something people like to see (if they have any heart whatsoever)-- and you feel helpless to take care of him. Of course you're upset!

Don't tell her anything. When she asks, or says "oh, where's Spig?" Shrug and say "I dunno." ... because, really, you don't-- by then, he could very well be adopted (if you have to give him up). If not, then, he'll "miraculously return" after his vet visit. If he has to take pills... um... then...
            I really hope you don't have to give up Spiggit, he's so cute.
            "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
            "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Thanks. I'm just really upset because I know how to help him (take him to a vet) and I know my parent's have enough money because both my mum's emergency room visit and car repair ended up being less than half of what they thought it would cost. But because she doesn't think he's really sick, that means it's all on me to help. I've found the 24 hour clinic we brought our dog to years ago, and I'll find a way to call them without her noticing. Maybe make a trip to the in-laws to do some phone calls.
              We have some video games we could sell back to Gamestop, so that's another...maybe $5. And...my husband gets paid Friday, so I guess we could take money from our bills money, but I'd rather wait for that if we can...do vets have you pay after the visit? Because if they kept him for the rest of the week for observation or treating him or something, I know it adds to the cost but I might have some more money then. I really wish I had sold stuff Saturday.
              I know the vet's clinic does try to find owners for lost cats, like do the whole "Hey I found this cat, is he yours?" when people drop off strays. It's a ways away for that to work though, unless somehow it made sense that kitty climbed into someone's car like he tends to do.

Comment

If you get a vet's word that the cat is ill, won't your parents help out then? Perhaps you could call the vet and ask if they'll settle for 30 dollars now and the rest, if there is a rest, in a month. My vet does that, but perhaps it helped that I used to repair the vet's bike , I wasn't a complete stranger who wanted help without paying.

Won't an emergency clinic be more expensive than a regular vet? That's certainly the way it is here.

I like your Spiggit, he looks just like he is waiting for stomach scritches .

Comment

Yeah, he loves stomach scritches.
                  I'm going to ask mum for our old vet information, because I'm looking for a vet for our lizard, Ryuu. I mean, it's kind of a long shot, but it's true.
                  I found some vet clinics that are nearby. I might call and make an appointment to get him checked up, because I think thirty dollars is a normal price for that. I just hope they aren't upset about lack of shots, because he's a found cat.
                  I don't know if my parents would help with it, but my in-laws might. They are just getting out of some financial trouble, but I think we could arrange to do some work/let them borrow our car or something.
                  EDIT: I found an animal hospital that is 20 minutes away. I'm going to call them and see what it would cost to take Spiggit there. If not I'm calling my grandparents to find out where they take their kitties.
                  Last edited by zombiequeen; 09-20-2010, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Reading this just made me angry.

Take the cat to the vet. Why should you tell your mom anything? She doesn't give a rat's ass about the cat, otherwise she would've done something already.

That cat needs and deserves better.

I can barely afford* my two, but I'd take him in a heartbeat just to make sure he was taken to the vet immediately.

* I earn just enough to pay my rent and bills, and cat food. But my cats go to the vet when needed. Even if bills have to be paid a week or 2 late.
                    I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Well, we can't afford the surgery I need, or my pills this month.
                      The cat isn't mine, all I do is basically cuddle with him and tell mum if something's wrong. If it were up to me, we wouldn't have a cat, because I can't afford it, and mum won't take care of him.
                      If we're late on the payment to the college again, they're going to increase what we have to pay, or actually take the legal action they've been threatening us with. I know, I called them to ask. It seems the more people I call about this, the more money I'm losing out on.
                      And none of the places I've called will let me bring him in if I cannot afford treatment. One lady told me that if I can't afford to pay for him, I might as well not even bring him in. I asked if I could surrender him for treatment, and they said that is instant euthanasia for the cat. Things aren't looking good for Spiggit. I'm going to have hubby call his grandparents when he gets home, maybe they can bring him to their vet, heck, I'd give him to them if they wanted. I just want him to get better.

Comment

Quoth Mikkel View Post
                        Won't an emergency clinic be more expensive than a regular vet? That's certainly the way it is here.
                        Probably but they may be more willing to work with the bill, too. Ex had an outstanding balance at the emergency vet hospital from when Pablo had one of his first few seizures. Months later it had accrued less than $1 in interest (it was abut $115). It finally got paid the night Pablo died (my dad paid it; Ex paid him back because his debit card was declined, surprise surprise...).

Quoth zombiequeen View Post
                        and mum won't take care of him.
                        Are you concerned that she'll be upset that the cat is gone or that you might spend money on it? Cuz if it's the former, I don't see why; she obviously doesn't care that much about him. And if it's the latter, that's a shitty reason to not take care of an animal she supposedly claims as a pet.
                        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

She'll be interested and upset because I'm messing with her cat. Especially if he ends up needing put down, because it wasn't her decision.
                          She's pissy about stuff like that. She tends to have a huge problem with not caring about something in the least, even hating it, and then as soon as someone else takes care of it, she gets upset.

Comment

Well, in this case I'd tell her to go to hell, but that's just me.
                            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I really would, but she's the reason we aren't living on the streets. I'm treading on thin ice even suggesting that she get the cat deworming medicine. Dad let me know earlier she's looking for a reason to kick me out so I really have to be careful.
                              Though, I really want to do what's best for him...but it's so hard with that hanging over my head all the time.

Comment

Try here:
                                http://itchmoforums.com/help-for-pets-in-need-b91.0/

Click your state and see if there is any low-cost clinic nearby
                                There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Working...
                                X