This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4WD Problems. Thoughts?

Ok, thought I'd poll here to see if anyone has a clue as to what could be up with our Jeep, since the last two mechanics we asked (while it was in for other service) had no clue what we were talking about and were thus unhelpful on this issue.

For background, we own an old Jeep. It's a '95 Grand Cherokee Limited, so a good 17 years old at this point. Hubby and I do what we can to treat it right, but neither of us are mechanics, nor do we have the money to take it in for much more than its regular maintenance, oil changes, etc. The Jeep's "default" drive setting is 2WD (front, I think), but it can be shifted to 4-wheel part time or full 4WD, as well as one or two low-gear settings. According to the manual, it's safe to switch from 2WD to 4W-part to 4WD all without having to slow down or stop (low-gear settings require the vehicle to be in neutral, though).

All that said, in the past two years, I've noticed the 4WD feeling...well, kind of "slushy," I guess, when I try to use it. The controls get loose, and even on a bone-dry road the vehicle handles like it's on ice. Sometimes it finally corrects itself, but other times I have to put it back into 2WD and leave it that way for a day or so before the loose feeling goes away. It almost feels like the drive system isn't fully engaging when I change settings, like it's stuck mid-change, but I don't have a clue how to check or anything. When we asked the mechanics about it, they'd never heard of such a thing and told us we had to be in neutral or stopped completely when changing from 2WD to 4WD and back, and that would fix the problem (note: didn't work).

So, does anyone know what might be wrong with it? Perhaps know what we could say to a mechanic to get them to understand just what's happening?
    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Our truck said it could be changed on the fly while driving too...now we are saving the $1500 to fix/replace it. The forks can break, the motor can go, or it could just be the fluids are low. The only way to know is to tear it down and have a look.

Comment

I don't know too much about vehicles either (fiancee is a HD mechanic thank god, so he can diagnose any problems LOL) - but I know that when switching from 2WD to 4WD in his truck it needs to be in neutral or park to kick in for his Chev 1500 (1996, so it's around the same age as your Jeep). If I remember, I will ask him about this when I get home - I have a long work day ahead of me!

Don't know if this helped or not, but I tried :-)

Comment

You could try calling Car Talk.
        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

I've noticed that when I don't have my 2000 Jeep in park and I switch from 2WD to 4WD it acts that way. I have to put it in park and switch back and forth and then it works like it is supposed to.

Comment

Quoth crazyofficeclerk View Post
            I've noticed that when I don't have my 2000 Jeep in park and I switch from 2WD to 4WD it acts that way. I have to put it in park and switch back and forth and then it works like it is supposed to.
            Only problem with that being that I've tried doing it while in park, and it still gets loose.

Thanks for the input so far, everyone.
            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"

Comment

It could be that the transfer system is worn out - I don't know whether it uses a clutch or a gear system for this, but some types of gearboxes use friction bands to engage with, which can wear out like a clutch does. Or possibly a hydraulic or whatever system which provides the force needed to engage it is worn out.

Most likely the wear will have been accelerated by changing it while moving, even if the manufacturer claims it is okay to do so. Now that it is worn out, changing driving styles won't fix it, though it will probably help to prolong it's life after it's fixed.

You'll need to talk to someone who is actually familiar with the type of vehicle to fully diagnose it though. Maybe there's an owner's club floating around somewhere.

Comment

Thanks Chromatix. Next time we get it checked we'll have to ask about that.

Comment

Working...
                X