This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid on a mass scale.

Alright, I'm just clearing out the brainhurt now...

A while back, a few maintenance guys came by to check out the fire alarm and sprinkler system. This involved nearly flooding the adjacent theater's parking lot by purging it out a random hole in the rear exterior wall of the store, refilling it, and setting off various non-destructive parts of it half a dozen times.

It's also rumored that the fire chief or someone showed up for an inspection or something. I knew ninjas were loosing their job, but I did not expect this one. Unless he was Mentok, the Fire Chief, and can sign papers via astral projection, he teleported in a puff of smoke, signed the papers, and popped out of existence again.

Never would have suspected a fire chief. Doctor, maybe.

Anyway.

During those times, the alarm would go off now and then--in the back. Where it's a mild hum from the rear, or the lights are hidden.

But, one of those times. one of the sprinklers sprayed and the whole system, sans the rest of the sprinklers, went off full-blast. Bells and whistles audible a block away. Water hosing down the stairs in the stock room.

Flashing lights on red boxes thoughtfully labelled 'FIRE! FUCKING RUN!'

And (unbeknownst to the customers, to turn off the alarm before a pretty red truck showed up), four large men in company T-shirts or blue collars sprinting toward the front doors.

And not a one moved to leave the store. Dozens of customers, staring at flashing lights and large, apparently panicking men and mumbling "What's that noise?" to each no one in particular.

I even answered the nearest one, forced to yell to be heard.
    "It's the fire alarm!"
    "...Oh. Huh."
    Last edited by Dave1982; 06-20-2013, 10:38 PM. Reason: testing a moderator function

At the cinema we are trained to evacuate the building because the customers do not know how to react, or worse they will gravitate towards the fire. Even though our alarm is a loud automated voice that instructs them to evacuate the building.
    "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Had the fire alarm go off at one of my old jobs, we were evacuating the building and I had a customer argue with me that they just needed to pay for their stuff.

yes, he actually stood there and argued with me about it over the alarm that was already making me go deaf.

Comment

I think I posted about this before but not only did I have a customer tell my co-worker that she "just needed to pay for some stuff" but a former LPO told us to lock the doors so the arsonists couldnt escape...............along with the rest of us I guess.

She even wrote a letter to corp about us "letting the criminals escape".
        Fan? This is shit. Shit? Meet fan.

Comment

Working...
        X