Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Say "Well I'm certainly not voting for your candidate, your candidate's Satan and eats babies"

In her present state I doubt she'd realize she never told you her candidate, but $100 says it's Saint McCain
    Broadcasting to you live from the nerve center of my brain..... szzzt *we are currently experiencing technical difficulties, please stand by*

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
      Wait...Rhinocerous Party?
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhinoceros_Party_of_Canada

Personally, I like the thought of providing higher education by constructing taller schools.

Quoth BaristaTrav View Post
      Being an Obama supporter myself, I can tell you there are just as many crazies out there who would have the same rant but substitute Hillary or McCain as being "evil." It's the sad state of American politics currently.
      Truth to tell, it's been the state of American politics for centuries. It was worse back in the heyday of yellow journalism and before secret ballots. OTOH, I'm sorta psyched about the upcoming election. Depending on which person gets the democratic party nod, I may have my first presidential election ever where I would be willing to vote for the candidate from either party!
      Last edited by Broomjockey; 04-19-2008, 09:41 PM. Reason: merged

Comment

Five pages in this is all going surprisingly well, but I have to mention a few things:

(1) No right/conservative-bashing except specifically related to the OP.
        (2) No commentary about the US political system at all.
        (3) No personal political statements at all.
        (4) Whoever it is who knows how to smuggle Celine Dion out of the States and Rick Mercer in, PM me as soon as you can.

Thanks.
        Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

What's it matter? It's all made in China anyway.
          "Time shall help me face my painful memories with indifference, and with more of it, I won't feel the need to face them at all..."

Comment

Guess you could have told her that you were voting for Bill the Cat from the Meadow Party.
            Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth Cia View Post
              Guess you could have told her that you were voting for Bill the Cat from the Meadow Party.
              Opus and Bill 2008?
              Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth NightWatch View Post
                evilqueen &GK: Yeah, I've registered a few times, they keep finding problems.. i gave up on it... I just don't care enough to vote anymore because politicians don't care what people think, especially in my state. If you're not mormon, don't bother voting... They redesigned the voting districts so 55% of the population who aren't mormon/republican are divvied up and their voting power is diluted. (gerrymandering) It used to be, the southern half of the state (rep), the north half of the state (rep) and the metro area (dem)... now there are 3 districts that all slice right through the democratic area...
                (rant mode = on) Hate to tell you Nightwatch...but that really didn't change anything. Utah still has 2 republican representativesand one democratic representative in the US house of representatives. US senators for Utah are still republican. If they had done this about 10 years ago I would agree with you. But the fact that the utah senator voting districts 1-5,15 and 20 which are representative of the areas in question tells me that the majority of the voters in those areas are still democratic. The second US congressional district representative is still democratic. The mayors of Salt Lake City and county are still democratic It appears to me you've got it backwards either more mormons are democratic than you think or the democrats are in power in the salt Lake metorpolitan area, not the "mormon/republicans".

Additionally I don't know where you got your demographics, but the truth is less than 50% of the population of salt lake metropolitan area is mormon. If you take the state as a whole, 62% are mormon. Most republican/mormon support is outside the salt lake metropolitan area in the south, in the north and in rural towns. The areas in question that got sliced up didn't affect the balance of power in the state. The metropolitan areas still have democratic leadership locally and (for the most part) nationally. The US representative may have changed for those areas but then the republican representative now has to deal with more democratic side demands from the new areas. Which means they are now going to have to take a more liberal stance.

This is all probably a moot point however because, regardless of what anybody thinks the congressional senators and representatives are still free to vote however they wish. According to the current democratic representative Jon Huntsman the Utah representatives tend to vote as a "united front" - party designations notwithstanding. They still disagree on some issues and will still vote their conscience though. Unfortunately the political give and take, pork barrel politics, special interests all affect what passes as a bill in congress and what eventually becomes law. Somehow the majority of congress has lost sight that it's the people they were meant to represent, not corporations, not other senaotrs or representatives deals so they will support yours. It should be a truly representative democracy. Let the cards fall as they will without trying to manipulate the deck. Yes the voting districts were changed but as long as the balance of power remained the same..... I mean would jon huntsman have lost if they hadn't changed the congression districts? No. So ultimately there was no effect.

I don't know about you but depending on who are the running mates I may vote republican, I may vote democrat, I may vote other. who knows.

(rant mode =off)

I don't blame any one religion (like the catholics or protestants) or one party for issues in politics. I believe that most politicians are corrupt by nature. There are a few good examples, but they are rare. Do I believe that a politicians personal views affect his decisions in all but the most honest, absolutely. Do I base my purchasing decisions for any one store on who the workes/owners vote for? NO!!!

Not only that but if you take one political stance you almost force the people in to defending a neutral or opposite stance. Even if they might agree with you. How stupid is that???? (no offense nightwatch, that's not directed at you.)
                You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take,and statistically speaking, 99% of the shots you do take.

Pirates Vs. Ninjas. Which would you choose? http://s1.darkpirates.com/c.php?uid=40174

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                  Opus and Bill 2008?
                  Yeppers!

I'd definately vote for a cat who hacks up hairballs every hour, on the hour and a penguin who's little squishy backside falls off.
                  Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth Cia View Post
                    Yeppers!

I'd definately vote for a cat who hacks up hairballs every hour, on the hour and a penguin who's little squishy backside falls off.
                    I love Opus, he's so snuggly looking.
                    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                      I love Opus, he's so snuggly looking.
                      Much Opus <3 !

I was part of the yearbook staff for my high school (it was a free ride most of the year, especially when you have a specialty of working on the index ), and one year when we did the secret santa, my gift was an Opus plush in a Santa hat. I still have that guy.

As for voting, juts tell 'em that you're tired of trying to figure out the lesser evil, so you're just going to vote Cthulhu this time around.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Uh..., but on the bright side on less SC...too bad it isn't one less idiot in the world...
                        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth PuckishOne View Post
                          (2) No commentary about the US political system at all.
                          (3) No personal political statements at all.
                          Can't say I didn't try.

Sorry to those who were coloring inside the lines, but this thread is closed.
                          Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

Working...
                          X