This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A scammer redeemed? (was I harsh?)

One of my "hobbies" at work is catching scammers in the act. There is a small group of unrelated people who run a similar scam. If a store calls to make a store referral order for a customer and the store price is lower, we override our price to match the store price. When the stores call they are supposed to hit an option not mentioned in our phone tree (a silent prompt) if this is done the call comes up on our phones as a store referral. Of course the stores almost NEVER do this (corporate tried to crack down on it hard a few years back) so store calls and customer calls look the same on the phone most of the time. Most of us are quite good at recognizing what the stores sound like so if we think its a store we are and we are usually right. With that background info out of the way this will make sense.

Our lovely group of scammers. They will call pretending to be a store (per policy we MUST always honor what the store says without question) and claim items are at unrealistic prices. I've had to sell a $17 item for $1.99 and give free 2nd days shipping due to this crap. After I place these orders, I'll forward the order to a supervisor asking them to forward to corporate. Usually nothing is done :-( The small group I recognize by name I'll forward every time. So after about 3 times of them pulling the stunt, corporate will set it up where their orders get drastically delayed but they still go through eventually. Some of these scammers evolved from doing the same scam backwards, they would claim they saw the item at a store cheaper so could we call the store verify and match it (yes we can). Being the cynic I am I always would look up the number on our website and call the store, these scammers would be all like "hey I can save you some time I have the store number" I'd get it from them, put them on hold call the real store and verify the prices were the same or higher than what I have online. I'd give the other number to corporate who would call at random times and *gasp* get cellphone voicemail (the stores all have landlines and they cannot use employees personal cellphones). Still these people just end up getting future orders delayed.

Well the one I dealt with last night. I've placed one of his orders in the past (the $1.99 item) and after placing that one I found 4 other orders where he did the same thing. A few weeks later a coworker had someone in the same city doing the same thing. I told him I thought it was the same guy using a new identity (he alway pays with giftcards). Sure enough a few days later another order with the new name but the old email address. So tallying it up he has 8 orders with wrong prices (for example two $50 items for $9 each that type of thing). Last time I spoke with him he was so mean and forceful with me (he was pretending to be a store manager (the store has since called advising us of him) and kept mentioning corporate at random times just to scare me).

Well last night I get a call from a sweet kid. He says his mom placed an order at the store for him and he got an email mentioning a computer error. I pull up the order and sure enough I have to cancel it and replace it with a new order. I recognize the address as the scammer so I just kinda play along, he is being nice to me I'm being nice to him. There are price matches but they are typical ($20 item for $15, $45 for $30) pretty normal for our stores (they have to get rid of inventory unlike us at the online store). At the end of the order he mentions he has two other gift cards for a couple bucks each he'd like to also apply. We can only use one gift card at a time, but I can send the order off to our gift card department who will turn the gift cards into one new gift card and then place the order. The gift card department is one step down the food chain from corporate. So I let him know how it works he agrees and I get the other gift card numbers. While he is taking forever (ok by me) he kept apologizing for the delay (I don't mind really). I search for orders using the two gift card numbers he just gave me. JACKPOT!!! they pull up 6 of his scammy orders. So I finish up send the order to the gift card department with a brief note saying they should call the store to verify all prices see order history by gift cards 2 and 3. Since the order really isn't placed yet, they can verify the prices and if they are wrong call the customer advising him we can place the order if her wishes at the regular prices and he would need some method to pay the remainder (he saved around $40 with his price matches).

I feel kinda bad that I did that even when he was an absolute pleasure to speak to this time. I just hate scamming. It seems like he might have even already redeemed himself (they could be real store prices this time). Did I do right?
    Last edited by Angry_Hippie; 04-18-2008, 05:22 PM.

I'd say you did the right thing. It's not as if you outright accused him of scamming. You simply alerted the gift card department that there may be a possible scam in progress.

From the way you put it, if he's done nothing wrong this time, he won't be penalized. If he is pulling a fast one, he'll simply be given the correct prices. Nah, not harsh at all.

Comment

I'll chime in an agree with Norton here. It sounds to me like your just watching your companies back and letting them know that this could be a potential scam based on past history with this customer. Not harsh in the slightest. Harsh would be refusing to even attempt the price match and simply telling the customer its this price no matter what.

Comment

You absolutely did the right thing! I can't tell you how many scammers I have caught in the last few weeks and transferred the files to collections. Even if you're wrong, at least you're paying attention, and you may just end up saving the company a lot of money. Any bets it's an ex-employee of the company who is fully aware of this policy?
        GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Were you rude? No.

Did you follow procedure? Yes.

Did you follow your instincts to something hinky? Yes.

Are you sorry some potentially innocent person had to deal with the fall-out of scammers? Yes.

There's nothing wrong save having to deal with shady people. Or downright shadowed ones. I think we should all have a nice cider in commisseration of the suckiness of life and have a good weekend.

With luck, teh nice guy will twig about the scam thing and either a) ditch him/her/it or 2) chew him out for scamming. If not, well hell.

Comment

You're golden, AH.

But I want to know what's up with your company that they honor obviously fraudulent prices called in by scammers who know how the system works?

I don't know that a company like that has a very bright future...

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

You did very well.

Comment

I think they are not to worried about it because our order volumes are HUGE and the markups probably quiet high. Plus were a popular "brand" I think they let some slide just so other potential customers have the opportunity to see our products.

They called the store and prices were cool and they let the order go through. I think its good having some sort of subtle hint in the order that this customer is a scammer. Because another favorite of his is calling saying he didn't get the order and then having us refund him for it. Corporate no longer issues these refunds for this customer because of the history of almost every order not being received. So I'm thinking this might just be the ground work to get the order for free with less suspicion than the fake prices.

Another reason I think the let it slide is that this scam has to be done over the phone and the bulk of our orders come from our website, so its just a drop in the ocean. I've only seen about 10 people do this scam and I scour for it trying to sniff it out.

There is one really big scam that corporate could have easily killed but didn't I'll save it for another day (its impossible to do it now, but when conditions were right for it a customer turned a stamp into over $600 in gift cards)

Comment

Definitely the right thing.
                  "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Yaaaaaaaaaaaay you!
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                    X