This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, ew. EW

Today, I helped out a really sweet, very confused woman. She was shopping for her three week old, and wasn't sure about the names of the products she wanted...first time parents are like that. All was going well, until she asked about these soothing pads we have for breastfeeding mothers. At that point, she actually reached down her shirt, whipped out her nipple pad, and says "I know this is disgusting, but this is what it looks like. I'm sorry it's gross, my nipple is bleeding"

There are no words to express what I felt at that moment.

Gak, her spawn has teeth already??
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Pobrecita! That poor mother! I can only imagine that she's suffering from sleep deprivation. That's the only reason I can imagine that she was asking you instead of going to the doctors.
      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Run for the hills!

This is a "I'm not getting paid enough" type situation.
        Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

Oh....................yikes.
          Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
            That's the only reason I can imagine that she was asking you instead of going to the doctors.

actually if she was in the states-all the doctor will tell her is "switch to bottles"(us med students get one day of (mis)information on breastfeeding-on information provided by the formula manufacturers-and usually close to a week on bottle feeding)-no matter what the issue is. I had a combination of thrush and a latch problem so it was quite painful-even after I explained to the doctor that my son was highly allergic to both soy and cow milk-his answer to a legitimate medical issue(thrush which when breastfeeding affects the mother's nipples as well as the baby)-was stop breastfeeding-yes he refused to treat a medical condition-because there was an alternative to treatment-and most pediatricians in the US do get kickback from the formula manufacturers.
            Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Having dealt with more pregnant/breastfeeding mothers than I could ever shake a stick at this doesn't even get a raise of an eyebrow, it happens, some women find it very hard with breastfeeding.
              A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

I don't think it was so much that she was having a problem with breastfeeding. She said that her daughter was less than a week old, so I figured that perhaps it was because she just wasn't used to breastfeeding. I was just shocked that she whipped out the nipple pad, that's a new one for me. I've seen mothers breastfeeding, have answered every question imaginable about breastfeed, and even had to sell nipple cream to a girl I graduated with. But seeing her whip out her used pad? That just threw me through a loop.

Comment

Quoth sunshine43 View Post
                  But seeing her whip out her used pad? That just threw me through a loop.
                  Having seen more rashes, spots and hives on places where I didn't even know existed at the time (people had a tendency to flash whatever and say is this normal?) I guess I'm desensitised.
                  A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Totally but it has to do with babies, and I just saw it tonight...

I was in Target and passed an endcap with cute little onesies, and one of them was pink and said "One day I will demand a pony."

Oh, and yeah, Ew.
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                      Many new moms have this trouble when they first start breastfeeding. For lack of a better explanation, the nipples have to be "toughened" up and then they won't crack &/or bleed.

Comment

Yeah, whipping out the pad is ... well ... i've lost the words to describe it.

What I don't get is many people's reaction to breast-feeding in public. Don't most guys WANT to see women's breasts exposed?
                        "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Ok, whipping out the pad is a bit over the top, but at least she was apologetic about it.

... and at least she didn't whip out the nipple!

I was gonna say something else, but it falls under TMI, and I don't feel like sharing...

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

haha...ewww!!

Now imagine her husband/boyfriend condom shopping..

EWWW!!

sorry, I have a sink sense of humor...how are you guys tonight? hahaha

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                              Sometimes babies are born with teeth.

In some places, it's considered lucky.
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                              X