X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No wire coat hangers!

Cast:

Me: Guess who? Pertinent to the story - I'm 6' 4" and weigh about 350 lbs.
    OS: Another shopper, a young man - perhaps early twenties
    SC: Mother with two young children a girl who was perhaps 5 or 6 and a boy (4 or 5)

So I'm following my well worn track on the weekly shopping in the local supermarket. I approach the fish counter and the OS is talking to the man behind the counter. As I approach the counter they stop talking and the server takes my order. No suck there!

Just at that moment as the server is getting my fish I hear this:-

SC: (Turning on girl) NOW STOP THAT! I'VE TOLD YOU TO BEHAVE! NOW WALK PROPERLY!

SC turns and take two steps pushing her shopping trolley. Little girl takes three skipping steps behind her. SC stops and shouts again.

SC: IT'S NO GOOD - YOU'RE SKIPPING! I TOLD YOU TO WALK PROPERLY! NO SKIPPING!

SC turns back to trolley and stomps off, little girl trailing behind her trying desperately not to skip.

I turn to OS.

Me: Well I'll have to remember that, next time I want to skip - no skipping in the store!
    OS: (Smiling at me) I thought the idea of being young was to have fun while you could. Obviously not.
    Me: I don't want her for my Mummy.

The three of us laughed (me with sadness for the little girl who was not allowed to skip) and I went on my way.

Bonus points to anyone who says where the Title is from.

Quoth gerund View Post
    Cast:

"Yes, Mommie Dearest."

Creepy, creepy movie
    Last edited by Spiffy McMoron; 04-15-2008, 05:59 PM. Reason: No need to quote entire post
    I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

"Tina!!! Bring me the ax!"
      "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

wow...o__O

that poor child will need massive therapy and prescriptions later on in life, methinks.

although, mom could benefit from some 'tranquilizer' action herself right now.
        look! it's ghengis khan!
        Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth chainedbarista View Post
          that poor child will need massive therapy and prescriptions later on in life, methinks.
          I wonder what she'll be like when (if?) she moves out on her own--broken husk of a woman, or super-freaky party girl who tries to catch up on all of the fun she missed?
          I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Quoth chainedbarista View Post
            although, mom could benefit from some 'tranquilizer' action herself right now.
            Think we can release her back into the wild? Probably not, by this point she's probably grown too dependent on nourishment by destroying the smiles of the young.
            ONI HEUIR NI FEDIR

Comment

*sigh* It always make me sad to see kids get yelled at for nothing.
              wouldn't lube work better in a f***ing machine?
              ----
              Yes, that’s right. It’s a pair of gold foil headphones. Gold foil. Finally, headphones just as awful as your taste in music.

Comment

Damn - I see I've been beaten to the punch - "Mommie Dearest"

NO WIRE HANGERS IN MY CLOSET!!!!!!!!!!!!

that movie was pretty creepy.
                "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

NO.....

WIRE.....

HANGARS!!!!!!

Faye Dunaway is freakin' scary in that movie.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

C'mon. If the kid crashed into and knocked over a display, everyone here would be coming down on the mother for letting her run wild.
                    Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

Quoth Mark Healey View Post
                      C'mon. If the kid crashed into and knocked over a display, everyone here would be coming down on the mother for letting her run wild.
                      theres a difference between running and skipping - skipping is just sorta a floaty step so unless she was skipping at roughly 2000 KPH nothing would happen...

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                        "Tina!!! Bring me the ax!"
                        Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                        NO.....

WIRE.....

HANGARS!!!!!!
                        Quoth TonyDonuts View Post
                        "Yes, Mommie Dearest."
                        Quoth gerund View Post

Poor little kid...it's a shame she's got that kind of mother.

"I'm not mad at you, I'm mad at the dirt!!"

I'll tack on more bonus points if anybody can guess what movie I got my siggy from.
                        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Mommie Dearest

I suppose that clip from the movie (where she says with clenched teeth "NO WIRE COAT HANGERS") was one of the most played clips advertising a movie. It was great acting. She managed to get all the venom and hatred into those four words.

When the SC shouted at her little girl "NO SKIPPING" I just wanted to slap her. The Mother that is. Then I wanted to speak nicely to her. "Your daughter is just a little girl. Little girls skip. She must be bored trailing behind you in a big store where you are not allowed to play with anything. You have such a full trolley of groceries - you must have been shopping for ages. Well it must seem like ages when you are only small and not allowed to skip or play."

Would that have worked? I don't think so. I would have been told to go away and mind my own business.

Comment

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post
                            I wonder what she'll be like when (if?) she moves out on her own--broken husk of a woman, or super-freaky party girl who tries to catch up on all of the fun she missed?
                            If people from my hometown are any indication, I'm going to with option C: Both
                            Your true character is who you are when no one is looking.
                            --Unknown

Comment

The polar opposite of "Aw, I'm just too damned lazy to discipline my kid at all, so I'm just going to let them wander around the store by themselves/ride bikes through the store/throw balls around/destroy the DVD section, repeatedly/zoom around on their damned Heelies, or basically do whatever they want" parents.

Recently I saw a little boy, about four years old, in the electronics department. He was looking at a kid's DVD and decided to take it with him, stripping the plastic wrap from it as he went. I followed him, hoping that he'd soon run into a parent, but nope, he walked all the way to the front of the store, obviously having no idea where they were.

I asked him if he knew where his parents were and he just nodded. I think he was too shy to talk. When his parents eventually turned up fifteen minutes later (easily enough time for him to have been taken out of the store by a stranger) they seemed more amused by it than anything else.

Surely there must be some middle ground somewhere!

Comment

Working...
                              X