This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Mark Healey View Post
    C'mon. If the kid crashed into and knocked over a display, everyone here would be coming down on the mother for letting her run wild.
    As mentioned, there's a huge difference between skipping after your parental unit and running wild.

Quoth JesseCuster40 View Post
    Surely there must be some middle ground somewhere!
    Oh, there is. Most parents are actually in that middle ground.

But because it's unremarkable, it goes unremarked. You just tend to notice those who are outside the norm, which are the psycho lockdown parents and the 'it takes a village' parents to want the village to do their child-rearing for them.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Mark Healey View Post
      C'mon. If the kid crashed into and knocked over a display, everyone here would be coming down on the mother for letting her run wild.
      I happen to agree and disagree. Yes, I'm a Gemini, I'm allowed to do that.

If the child is skipping happily close to mommy and the cart - there's nothing wrong with it. If she's skipping wildly out of control with no concern to where she's walking and mom doesn't say something to her - then its a problem.

I watch my friends two little girls, 4 & 5 years old. If you don't watch where they're walking for them, they'd run into stuff all the time. They are constantly running into people, displays, corners, walls...because they are not paying attention. If THEY were skipping in a store, I would make them stop because they do not pay attention - AT ALL - to their surroundings. So, one may think I would be just like this mother who is stiffling a childs happiness when really I'm just watching out for the best interest of the store and its employees who would have to clean up the mess.

I was going to chime in with that earlier but its hard as someone who has no children of her own to tell or comment on someone else and how they raise their children or judge someone else for their actions. When there are parents, such as most of the ones you read about in these posts, who do nothing to control the actions of their terrorizing brats - thats when I feel the need to comment about parenting - here - in these forums. But when a parent is scolding their child to control themselves in a public place, which is what I feel this mother was probably doing, there's probably a darn good reason behind it. I know I probably look like I am scolding happy children when I ask these little girls to control themselves - but believe me - if I don't - then you may read about me in these posts as a 'mother' who lets her children run wild with abandoment tearing up the store. Because if you give those girls an inch - they take 10 miles.

[edit] I guess what I'm saying is this is one incident seen by the OP. We really don't know what goes on outside of this one incident. This mother may have one of those kids that seems to be doing something innocently childish and fun - but the mother knows how fast the child can get out of control and is merely teaching her child how to behave in public.
      Last edited by friendofjimmyk; 04-16-2008, 12:44 PM. Reason: to add another point
      "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
        As mentioned, there's a huge difference between skipping after your parental unit and running wild.
        I didn't see this post before I posted my response.

Yes, there is a difference. What may look like something small and innocent to bystanders - a happy child skipping happily along parental unit - but to the parent is really a happy child skipping happily which if left unnoticed turns into a happy, crazed, out of control child who is skipping wildly throughout the store - they know the behavior must be nipped in the bud -
        "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

The mother went about it the wrong way, but I was told when I went into a store that I was to walk, not run, skip etc. And if I broke that rule I was punished. It was a rule because we were taught to act like grownups in stores and to treat the shoppers and the workers with respect. Isn't it odd that people complain that parents don't do that, but when the parent disciplines the child, she's a horrible parent?

Because as someone said when you are skipping it takes more concentration than walking, it's easier to lose your balance, etc. So you could very well end up crashing into something or someone.

I would have never yelled like that woman, but then again since she mentioned telling her over and over again, it sounds like it's a problem.

As far as the child needing therapy, if getting yelled at by your parents is enough to put someone in therapy they must not be too strong mentally in the first place. My mother yelled at me and then if I still didn't listen she'd beat my ass with a wooden spoon. I think I turned out just fine, not in spite of it, but for it.

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
            . My mother yelled at me and then if I still didn't listen she'd beat my ass with a wooden spoon. .
            My mother broke many a wooden spoon over my butt and a couple plastic ones too! I don't think I was abused by her - when I made my mom that mad that she broke out the cutlery arsenal - I REALLY screwed up!

Comment

I was scolded in public so many times as a kid and a teen (and no, I wasn't a brat, my wonderful mother decided that the BEST time to have "family meetings" and to bring up my "attitude problem" was in the middle of shopping, and not in private at home with just the family listening)......I think a lot of people wondered just what the hell I did to piss my mom off.....or they wondered "Who the hell let that crazy woman out of the nuthouse?"

If I would have been in the situation of the OP, I would have been pretty saddened by it. It didn't appear like the little girl was doing anything wrong.
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Think we can release her back into the wild?
                sadly, fish, this one doesn't qualify for our 'catch and release' program, even though she's been tagged.

more's the pity; the sc wildlife reserve is past maximum capacity.
                look! it's ghengis khan!
                Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
                  I'll tack on more bonus points if anybody can guess what movie I got my siggy from.
                  Also Mommie Dearest.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                    Ironclad, you are CORRECT!!!
                    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
                      Ironclad, you are CORRECT!!!
                      YEA!

Now where did I put my bonus points catalog?
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth TonyDonuts View Post
                        "Yes, Mommie Dearest."

Creepy, creepy movie
                        The book, although containing way more intimate details of abuse than the film, is a helluva read.

I puzzled the hell out of my teachers in the 8th grade when I came to school for "Dress as your favorite Book Day" as Mommie Dearest herself - complete with a ton of makeup, jewelry and a wire hanger.

I was considered to be a rather odd child anyways and I'm still odd. . .
                        Last edited by DGoddessChardonnay; 04-18-2008, 11:45 PM.
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                        X