This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please don't give me clear directions, I want the B-Number instead

This particular SC incident happened at my bar job back at home. I work in a golf club that has a large upstairs room that is frequently hired out for functions (weddings, birthdays, funeral wakes even).

One saturday we're hosting a 50th birthday, so naturally some of the guests are going to be friends and relatives not familiar with the area.

I'm working the downstairs Spike bar, its not that busy and has been a good day.

The phone rings:

Me: Good afternoon, Golf Club, how can I help?
    SC: Hello, can you tell me how to get to you please?
    Me: *Reels off address*
    SC: Yes we have the address, but we lost our directions
    Me: Oh dear, well, where are you now?
    SC: We're at a station called *Station Name*
    Me: Oh yes, I know exactly where you mean, I can direct you from there
    *I then procede to give this man perfect directions. I know this area extremely well, having lived there since I was 4, so my directions included every street name, Pub, park, Church, Petrol Station and speed hump along the route*
    SC: Never mind all that, what's the road number?
    Me: Road number, sir? I don't follow...
    SC: You know, it's a B-road, what number is it?
    **A note to non-english readers. Our roads are classified as B, A, or M. B-roads are general, minor roads, like the street you live on. A-roads are busier, larger dual carriageways. M signifies a Motorway. The roads on this route are not labelled as such (few residential roads are)**
    Me: I don't believe that the road we are on has a number
    SC: Of course it does you idiot, all roads have a number, what is it?
    Me: I'm afraid I don't know, but I can stay on the line and guide you if you wish
    SC: Just give me the stupid number, or put me through to someone who can. Is this reception?
    Me: No sir, this is the Spike bar. You were passed to me by the Pro Shop, who only deal with golfing matters. If you wish I can put you through to the office where someone should be able to look the number up
    SC: Why can't you just put me back through to reception?
    Me: Sorry sir we have no purpose built reception, the number you dialed is for the Pro Shop.
    SC: FINE. Put me through to someone competent then
    Me ... *I patch them through*

Now why the hell would anyone reject street name directions in favour of a code which has not been seen in use by a long time, local resident?

In event, my manager, who was at a desk with internet access, managed to find out the road number after a 5 minute search. I could have guided them there twice in the time it took for the pillock to find out this code...unbelievable

Is it possible he had a GPS navigation system that takes those numbers? I have no idea, here in the US when roads get that small we use trees and rocks for guidance.

Comment

most systems will take road numbers although if its GPS he could just plug in the address of the building i assume its the way i like directions like "Get on US 70 East and follow to I-40 East"

Comment

Idiot os probably reading off some A-Z which has road names but not street names...
        ONI HEUIR NI FEDIR

Comment

We frequently have to send out the receptionist to flag down visiting cars. We're the main office of an international organization, and most people don't realize that we make almost no money and can't afford a nice building. We're in this tiny business park, in the middle cluster, right in front of the train tracks. So yeah, even when they find the right address they have a hard time finding our suite.
          "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

Quoth PCGameGuy View Post
            Is it possible he had a GPS navigation system that takes those numbers? I have no idea, here in the US when roads get that small we use trees and rocks for guidance.
            If the douchenozzle had a GPS, he wouldn't have been calling in the first place.

He was just one of those people who reacts to change with complete and utter denial. He'll get run over by a flying car eventually....

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

SC: FINE. Put me through to someone competent then.

Me: Transferring you now, sir. *click*

Screw him.
              "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
                SC: FINE. Put me through to someone competent then.

Me: Transferring you now, sir. *click*

Screw him.
                Damn.... you beat me to it
                When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

Should have just told him to call the local shire or the roads department if he really wants to know the code. I'm a road/infrastructure-geek myself and I still hate route/road numbers, and only one here is in use in common talk (Route 1, longest road route in the world). I actually live on a road big enough to have a number , but if anyone ever referred to my residence as [Number] Route 81, or even a major highway or freeway by their route numbers everyone would just be giving them a blank stare.

SC expecting you to know too much random crap >_< , after perfect directions as well.
                  - Boochan

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                    He was just one of those people who reacts to change with complete and utter denial. He'll get run over by a flying car eventually....

I can has for sig?
                    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                      I can has for sig?
                      Enjoy!

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

yay! I have new sig
                        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Working...
                        X