This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entitlement Whore Alert

At the pizza place tonight, I was relayed this gem. Woman comes to window to pick up her order. All drivers are out on deliveries. Cook is busy and MOD is on phone by window talking to customer and taking an order. Woman pulls up to window. MOD holds up finger while on phone to indicate that he will be with her momentarily. Three minutes go by, MOD is done with customer on phone and opens window. She is demanding that she be given her order for free because she "had to wait so long." Never mind that she came to the store 15 minutes later than we quoted her to come pick it up. lady, if you are in such a damn hurry, arrive on time and do not bitch if someone kept you waiting for a whole 3 minutes. Of course, management caved. What a shock!
    I don't have an anger problem! I have an idiot problem!-Hank Hill

Quoth donruss View Post
    Of course, management caved. What a shock!
    What else would they do? Stand up for themselves? Put this rude moron in her place? Yeah, I don't think so.

Management 101:

"Today, class, we'll be learning how to cave into any demand from the rudest of customers. This is especially important if one of your employees has just enforced policy or good sense. Circumventing them and making them look stupid is a plus if you can pull it off at the same time as being a complete doormat."
    Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

Quoth Apathy View Post
      "Today, class, we'll be learning how to cave into any demand from the rudest of customers. This is especially important if one of your employees has just enforced policy or good sense. Circumventing them and making them look stupid is a plus if you can pull it off at the same time as being a complete doormat."
      I wonder what would happen if, during the interview process, a potential employee asked something like. "So are we going to go through rigorous training getting all the policies drummed into us and told that failure to follow said policies will be grounds for disciplinary action up to and including termination, and the first time we try to enforce said policies with a disagreeable customer, management will step in and give the customer what they want even though it goes against said policy you so rigorously told us to follow?"

Whew.
      Last edited by Ree; 04-17-2008, 11:12 AM. Reason: Excessive quoting
      I don't like your attitude!
      Yeah? Well you're not EATING my attitude!

Comment

Having to wait 3 minutes means free food? Your place must be doing very well if you can afford to have that kind of spineless wimp as manager.
        "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Quoth zigcat View Post
          I wonder what would happen if, during the interview process, a potential employee asked something like. "So are we going to go through rigorous training getting all the policies drummed into us and told that failure to follow said policies will be grounds for disciplinary action up to and including termination, and the first time we try to enforce said policies with a disagreeable customer, management will step in and give the customer what they want even though it goes against said policy you so rigorously told us to follow?"
          Um, I usually put it more along the lines of, "Do you enforce your rules evenly, or can they be overridden by management decision? How often does that happen, and why?" But the question does get asked.

Remember, an interview is two-way. You also want them to prove that they are worth working for.
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
            Having to wait 3 minutes means free food?
            I should keep that in mind.
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth zigcat View Post
              "So are we going to go through rigorous training getting all the policies drummed into us and told that failure to follow said policies will be grounds for disciplinary action up to and including termination, and the first time we try to enforce said policies with a disagreeable customer, management will step in and give the customer what they want even though it goes against said policy you so rigorously told us to follow?"
              This is why I don't fight them anymore it is not worth my time, I tell them no once if they ask again I just say "I cannot do that but let me see what a manager can do." This way you are not saying it is not possible, rather you are saying it is not possible for YOU. Saves you stress and pride and the customer tends to be more happy because they did not have to ask for a manager, you showed initiative and got them one.

I know it almost seems wrong but it sure helps around the workplace.
              Last edited by IvorTangrean; 04-17-2008, 04:15 PM.
              If it makes sense, it's not allowed™. -- BeckySunshine

I've heard of breaking wind but not breaking and entering wind. --- Sheldonrs

My gaming blog:Ghosts from the Black

Comment

Quoth IvorTangrean View Post
                This is why I don't fight them anymore it is not worth my time, I tell them no once if they ask again I just say "I cannot do that but let me see what a manager can do." This way you are not saying it is not possible, rather you are saying it is not possible for YOU. Saves you stress and pride and the customer tends to be more happy because they did not have to ask for a manager, you showed initiative and got them one.
                I really wish you folks could say "I can't do that but I know my manager lacks a spine and will."
                "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

WTF?

I always find it so annoying when SCs get their way even when they're so obviously in the wrong or are entitlement whores. It seems so unjust in a way, don't you think? It makes you wonder why workers even bother to follow any policies at all if they're just going to be overturned all the time. And if you give free pizza out to this one woman why not just give it out to anybody for any reason they come up with. I mean if they don't pay they're not really customers so why keep them?
                  It's been a long, long, long, long time...

Comment

Working...
                  X