This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alterations don't work like that.

This particular customer has been in several times, always looking for a deal. Working with him takes a little extra time, because English is not his first language, and it appears he comes from a place where haggling over price is expected.

Last week he came in with three inexpensive sport coats that didn't fit him at all. Customer is about 5'3," and purchased a size 48 (United States size) to go around him. We altered one coat last week, and he came in today to try it on. Well, what I did was fine, but could we make the armhole bigger, and oh, shorten the coat? Well, yeah, but for more money.

He didn't like the price I quoted, which was high to account for the fact that I had done exactly what he'd asked and after getting it back, decided to tell me other things I could have done once I had it apart. At this point he told me he'd been measured for custom clothing, and wanted me to make his jackets match those measurements. He could email the forms to us. At least he was well prepared.

He argued long enough for the owner to come out and explain that we don't give discounts, and Customer explained it was just ridiculous to spend that much to alter jackets that he only paid $80 for.

Then he got in his limited edition Range Rover (Approx $120,000 according to car aficionado that works for us) and drove away with his clothes.

Cheap but rich

It seems some people get rich by being so cheap they don't spend their money.

On the other hand, you expect someone who was just cheap not buy such an expensive vehicle.

Comment

Always looking too hard at the small details to notice that he'd be ahead by getting jackets that properly fit him in the first place, even if they were custom made.

Of course, since looks are everything, he couldn't be seen in anything OTHER than a stupidly expensive vehicle.

Comment

Was that an alteration altercation?
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
          Always looking too hard at the small details to notice that he'd be ahead by getting jackets that properly fit him in the first place, even if they were custom made.

Of course, since looks are everything, he couldn't be seen in anything OTHER than a stupidly expensive vehicle.
          He had three velvet jackets (one navy, one maroon, one kelly green) with contrasting velvet elbow patches. It's the sort of awesome thing one wears if one manages women of entrepreneurial spirit. Or one is engaged in newly decriminalized agricultural endeavors.

Comment

...And today he came back. Someone else shortened the jackets and took them in, but he or she apparently drew the line at shortening the sleeves from the top. Even though I'd already done one, he still thought I'd negotiate the price. Calling me by my name and telling me he was my friend is exactly the kind of familiarity that I find off-putting.

For those wondering, why yes, it does make the sleeves too snug, but it's what he wanted. There are working buttonholes at the cuff. Ya gotta have that.

Comment

Too bad he didn't have you altering the match pairs of trousers...
              Just the wrong stretch and they alter the wearer...
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
              X