This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is your job to receive shipments

I've got a chair delivery to a business location. Get up to the floor and the receptionist directs me to the mailroom. Get there and see the sign that says "No entry. Ring the doorbell." Okay, no problem. ring ring. I give it a minute then try it again. At this point I look through the window and see the mailroom guy sitting at his desk that is inches from the door, so I give him an "uh hello, wtf dude" gesture. Now I don't know if this set him off, if I woke him from a nap, if it was the fact that I made him open the door that said "no entry" on it, if he's having a bad day, if he's just an asshole, any or all of the above. But he is clearly annoyed with me. Whatever.

Me: Hi, how are you today. I've got a chair for Dom Woodrow.
    SC: uggggg
    Me: Allrightythen. Can you sign here please.
    SC: NO!!! I ain't signing for nothing!
    Me: Nice. Can you contact the recipient then please.
    SC: What is it?

(keep in mind that I am bringing in an assembled chair, not in a box, ready to use)

Me: Umm.... it is a chair.
    SC: Fine. Whatever, leave it here.

(Now at this point, I'm not psychic, but reading his body language, he seems to be sizing up this chair to take for his own use, or he's just going to toss it into a corner and deny it was ever delivered).

Me: Yeah, if you aren't going to sign, I need to contact the recipient.
    SC: Who is it for?
    Me: Yeah, my chair delivery for Dom Woodrow is for Dom Woodrow
    SC: That's a very common name
    Me: Seriously? Whatever, I'll contact him.

I call my contact and naturally he has arranged for a delivery on his day off, so he's not in the office. I explain to him that I am in his office, so he tells me to leave it at the mailroom. I give my office a quick call to let them know that I can't get a signature; they don't understand so I keep it to a simple "the mailroom guy is unpleasant". They ask me to take a picture of it at the door, then leave it at that. I make a point of making sure my new friend can see me taking this picture right at his door.

I go back to the door and tell him, "Yeah, I don't know how many Dom Woodrow's you have working here, but the one who ordered this chair told me to leave it with you. Have a nice day." He gives another grunt and I walk away before he has a chance to escalate things further.

I don't know what this guys problem was. Maybe he thinks I'm a scammer whose going to drop something off then send the company a large bill for something they never ordered. Maybe he just hates his job. Whatever, you work in a mailroom, people are going to show up with shipments. Rather than just politely communicating and instead being an asshole to another guy who hates his job was almost very bad for his health.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Can I have that job where it's okay to both refuse to do anything but also be rude about it?
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Normally, those are only in mismanagement.

I'm baffled at this one. Does this business not communicate internally? Either way, it's a joint fail. The worker for being unwilling to work, and the mismanager for not being there.
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I can EASILY see a lack of internal communication. Plus, sometimes people are just jerks.

Comment

A simple email would have let this guy know that a chair was coming in. Of course, given his attitude, maybe the email was sent and he couldn't be bothered to read it. Whatever the case may be, being civil with people is the decent thing to do, there's no need to be a jerk to some poor unfortunate soul just trying to earn a living just as he is doing.
          D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
          Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

And because for funsies you just go into random businesses delivering chairs. Okay, that kinda sounds like a fun thing to do.
            I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Working...
            X