This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toner of mass destruction

This is one of the main reasons why I did a hostile takeover of toner / drum / fuser (etc..) supply in the office.

One of my users came to me today, the color laser printer was printing horribly.

Hmm, Magenta smudges all over one side, scratches though it.

I go over to the printer and open up the acces panel.

MAGENTA toner everywhere. It was like there was a backfire of magenta toner. Inside the door, over the handles for the drums, around the waste toner container, even in the first paper drawer.

I pull out the toner cartridge. Guess what? It's the wrong one. Sure, it looks similar but similar is not the same. (I'm not going to blame the person who reported it because they not only wouldn't know how to swap the toner, they wouldn't attempt it). I thought I searched the entire office for toner and got rid of all the wrong toners - either the person who did it has a stash or they found the ONE I missed, somewhere in a void.

I spend the next half hour cleaning, cleaning, and cleaning. I replace the magenta toner and try a test copy. Still messy. Hmm..

I check the drums - the yellow and cyan both are covered in magenta toner. Great. I am able to clean off the yellow but the blue drum is beyond hope - it's scratched even. So I replace the blue drum also (luckily all 4 drums are the same item in this printer).

Test page looks a lot better.

It was a fun hour. I had a chat with the admin afterwords and told her no one is allowed to do any work on it if they're not from Xerox or myself. Too bad I'll never find out who did it - I'd love to get rid of their stash of WRONG toner.

Edit: Thank god consumables (toner, drums, fusers, etc..) are included with the lease.
    Last edited by draggar; 09-22-2010, 09:11 PM.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Quoth draggar View Post
    (snippersnak)
    It was a fun hour. I had a chat with the admin afterwords and told her no one is allowed to do any work on it if they're not from Xerox or myself. Too bad I'll never find out who did it - I'd love to get rid of their stash of WRONG toner.

Edit: Thank god consumables (toner, drums, fusers, etc..) are included with the lease.
    Yeah, until they break something non-consumable, like a connection point or valve... if the printer even has those. What do I know, I only work with redonku-printers, that need 'dry' ink in reusable cartridges the size of (small) kegs?
    Also, yes-- swooping down like an angry messenger of god? XD
    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

stash
      its the receptionist. we always have stash of everything.
      Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
        its the receptionist. we always have stash of everything.
        I don't think so. She always came to me with issues with the printers. She also knew I was in the office and she would have told me it needed toner (and she hates doing "IT" work).

Besides, if she did have a stash of them I'm pretty sure it would have been the right toner. She wasn't working for us when we had the previous model.
        Quote Dalesys:
        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Shouldn't be too tough to locate, just look for the one with magenta hands.

(let's be honest, if they think they're 'techy' enough to try and replace a toner cartridge, they're gonna think they're 'techy' enough to try and fix the mess, causing a bigger problem.)
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

And users wonder why IT often times get concerned when they claimed they tired to "fix" something.

I had a user, will never know who, who decided to re-arrange the office. They needed to use the "other" Ethernet jack. It was a phone jack. They manged to use some blunt object to pound a Ethernet plug into a phone jack. They called us to tell us it dodn't work.

They broke the faceplate, keystone jack and plug in the process of forcing it in. Suddenly we didn't have any extra jacks until the "shipment" arrived the next day.

Comment

The nonprofit I work for recently downsized, moving into a smaller space in the same offices; the other half is occupied by a a design group and something to do with real estate.

Before the move I was the only one who dared replace the toner for the Toshiba beast in the mail/supply room. Now if I'm there the other office will ask me to replace it seeing as I'm the only one brave enough to do so in "nice" clothes (and careful enough to not make a mess). The one time my boss tried...cyan toner everywhere.
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

oooooh toner. i've had much fun with that stuff. it's really tough to get out. i used to test printers for a major computer company and on our error sheets, we actually had an error called "toner explosion." they suck. but, if you get all 4 to blow, you can make pretty pretty pictures aaaaaall over the walls.
                If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
                ^_^

Comment

We had a copier at the grocery store I worked at, and when it would go out, I was always the one recruited to replace it.

The ASM tried once, but... well, we found out how hard it is to get copier toner off of a tile floor that day. And naturally I was the one that had to clean it up.
                  Character flaws aren't a philosophy -Scott Adams

Comment

Quoth Green_Fairy View Post
                    but, if you get all 4 to blow, you can make pretty pretty pictures aaaaaall over the walls.
                    I just had a picture in my mind of a white wall covered in multicoloured toner with white silhouettes of people that were caught in the blast.
                    I AM the evil bastard!
                    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
                    X