This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Ninja Chocobo View Post
    Speaking as someone who was until recently sixteen, I am very offended. I agree that the person in question acted despicably, but that should not mean you get to write off an entire age group.
    First of all, we have a report button on every post. If you're offended, just hit it and we'll respond.

Second, you're right in that we try to avoid painting over demographics with a broad brush.

Third, after a few years you realise that there are problems with people of all age groups, skin colours, and religions etc, but there are never any more problems than you get when a group of like-minded idiots.

Rapscallion

Comment

I think the commentary about oversized babies was directed more at people with the mentality that they can do as they please because of how old they are, or at least that's how I read it. I've met 14-year olds who were more mature and humble than people in their 30s.
      This is just another example of how if someone INSISTS on being mature/a genius/etc that the opposite is probably true. I think this child needs a reality check and a double shot of humility.

A few weeks ago I was at my favorite local dive bar and my attention was directed to an altercation the bar tender was having with a patron (this bartender is about 60 and I kinda know the guy, so I like to keep an eye on the ones that get in his face). The bartender was cutting him off, and he wasn't taking kindly to this suggestion, the crowning glory of this exchange was when our drunk friend shouted "I'm 27 years old! I can do whatever I want! You can't &^%$ing stop me!"

Again, just a 5 year old with 22 year's experience.
      "Ride the spiral to the end, it may just go where no one's been. Spiral out, keep going..." -Lateralus

Comment

I dunno. When I was 16, I was hardly mature. I was 16! What did I know? I'd never paid tax, or worried about a mortgage or anything like that. All I worried about were my grades and OMG I have contacts now and BOYS ARE GONNA NOTICE ME!
        And that was not said tongue in cheek. I wasnt, however, the kind of 16 year old that slathers pizza all over herself. I was the kind that pointed and laughed (in a very obvious, holy cow, that is SO DUMB way) at the one doing the slathering.
        The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

While everyone's going on and on about the ages and acts, all I can think about is the Pizza Buffet. I've seen salad bars at pizza shops, but never a buffet. I'd be the first person to ever eat themselves to death at one. Speaking of, I think I'll order a pie at the bar tonight. MMMmmmmm

CH
          Some People Are Alive Only Because It Is Illegal To Kill Them

Comment

there's a local chain restaurant that got famous off it's pizza, the have a few locations that have massive buffets, very tasty.
            "Ride the spiral to the end, it may just go where no one's been. Spiral out, keep going..." -Lateralus

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
              I dunno. When I was 16, I was hardly mature. I was 16! What did I know?
              Same here .... I was 16 and got my driver's license ... and had to start working ... at a pizza place ironically.

The age of consent for Washington State is 16, if you fall into the river and float across to Oregon, it jumps to 18. I, as well as several other people, always thought it was 18 ... my eventually-to-be husband valiantly kept his hands off of me until my birthday. I'm appreciate that I was raised with morals and rules and turned out to be a halfway decent person (in my own eyes, anyway) who doesn't require a lot of attention from the opposite sex and who is fully capable of working a full time job and does so (as it seems to be a growing trend for capable people to live off of government assistance or welfare). I guess I have my parents to thank for that ...

And the fact that the girl was smearing pizza on her face ... wouldn't that give a new meaning to "pizza face" (i.e. a very pimple-y face)? Wouldn't doing that make you breakout anyway?
              Last edited by karma_gypsy; 03-22-2008, 10:57 PM. Reason: Yeah, I'm just building myself up a little more ...
              This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Quoth LambChop View Post
                But yes, oil + anything under 18 = not sexy.
                Once you get to a certain age, anything under 18 =/= sexy. Oil or not.

Comment

Quoth dispatch View Post
                  I think the commentary about oversized babies was directed more at people with the mentality that they can do as they please because of how old they are, or at least that's how I read it. I've met 14-year olds who were more mature and humble than people in their 30s.
                  Too true. At my Tae Kwan Do studio there are a couple of guys there who were in middle school when I first arrived (they're 16-18 now) but they were NOTHING like the people of that age group I remembered, or the delightful youth who terrorized Unholypet's pizza store.
                  Now, bear in mind that I was a real "class act" at that age, along with, oh say, every damn student at my middle school. There are always people who are RESPONSIBLE for stereotypes. However, there are always at the very least exceptions to the rule, and more often only a few people who actually fulfill the stereotype, while the rest of the demographic is perfectly fine. Hell, we slaves of customer service have quite a reputation of our own; this site is full of people who prove that lie!
                  Your true character is who you are when no one is looking.
                  --Unknown

Comment

Working...
                  X