This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Job - Ranting of old job

Well I finally left the big cable company and started a new job in another call center. However since I am dealing with employees as opposed to entitlement customers and old people with HD TVs it is as much less stressful environment. No more sales goals.

Moronic Policies

Sales Goals
    You get in trouble if you do not have atleast 4 customers that connect in a month period. Connect as in customers that do not cancel their order. Even though by the average you would most likely get 4 but those of us not good at selling or are unlucky and get pissed off people or when theres 400 calls in the queue due to outages sales are going to suck. We now technically will get put on a performance plan IF customers decide they do not want it after placing the order with you.

30 minute return call
    Before we could call the dispatch line to find out the ETA on a tech or to get a tech to return if services were not working completely after a installation or a trouble call. Now we are no longer allowed to do that we have to fill out a form that gets sent to the field to call the customer back in 30minutes for a eta or the tech to return. This policy was tried before and was dropped but they brought it back. We get tons and tons of complaints about it yet theres nothing we can do about it. There has been a customer that called in for an eta atleast 5 times and I finally get him around 8pm when its not even possible for the tech to be there and I get the lovely fun time of telling him that.

Punishing a Rep for trying to help a customer
    I was written up on for trying to help a customer that had no services working. I was told I was not allowed to call the customer back to verify services were working. I called the Tier 3 to try and call the customer and verify services were working. The customers phone disconnected while waiting. I felt it would be horrible for me to just stop working on the issue. So I remained on the line to Tier 3 after the customer dropped. I got yelled at and suspended with pay for it. Apparently they called it call avoidance.

More work to do but not more time to do it in
    We are now going to be placed on a performance plan if our average handle time is above 8minutes. We are expected to put in a ticket system, if we go by the steps from memory its bad so we have to take through every single step. Deal with customers that can't navigate a simple website. So in reality we are given more work to do and not given more time to do it in.

Provisioning Modems
    Our internet service modems on occassion will lose their registration status and need to be provisioned, strange occurences but it happens. Tier 3 used to have the ability to resolve it and you could call them and get it done and the customer off the phone within about 5 minutes. Now you have to email or message a sup and wait for them to actually respond and then get it fixed all the while increasing your handletime which you get punished for.

Outsourcers are NOT the solution
    We have outsourced call centers that provide backup for calls. I took a call from a outsourcer that told me a customer was having an issue with making or receiving collect calls. Usually its a problem with correction facilities. I thought I would ask a simple question that would allow the rep to tell the customer and it could end the call right then and there without a transfer. The outsourcers response to the question of what kind of collect calls? "We do not ask those kinds of questions". Even worse are the ones that say one moment as if going to find out the question you asked only to transfer the customer without you getting any warning till you hear Hello?? on the line. I decided at one point they are complete idiots and that do not bother to try to do anything.

Performance Plan - You do not fix the problem in 30 days or your fired.

Onto the calls...
    CL: Crazy Lady
    Me: Yours truly

Me: Greeting spiel
    CL: My TV has no picture at all
    Me: I am sorry to hear that let me check if there are any problems in your area.
    *few moments later*
    Me: I am sorry but there is an outage in your area. We are currently doing a Video On Demand upgrade in your area and that some customers are down due to this. Notices were sent out for the date of this scheduled downtime.
    CL: Well I never received any notice at all.
    Me: I am sorry to hear that but there is no eta on the time line of when services will be restored.
    CL: ETA? What does that mean?
    Me: Estimated Time of Arrival, I know its an analogy.
    CL: So cable is no having to do with airlines.
    Me: No I was just merely making an analogy.
    CL: *ranting making fun of what I said etc and complaining about services out blah blah*
    Me: I am sorry mam but there is nothing I can do for you at this time.
    CL: Now your going to ask me if there is anythign else I can do for you?
    Me: "Wtf? Since when are you telling me what to do now" Alright what can I do for you?
    CL: Do not interrupt me...*insert 10 minute rant about services being out and its so inconvenient*
    Me: Ending Spiel

I am going to leave about 4 hours later, and guess who calls back and gets another rep on my team as a last call. This lady, not only that she makes fun of the term ETA and wants to cancel her service. I will admit I did not check it cause she was in an outage but it turns out her box is off. I made the mistake of expecting this lady to be smarter than a bag of turnips but apparently I had too much faith.

The other guy was the guy that called about some unreleated issue. The funny thing I noticed was his account notes which I lost when my flash drive died. But in reality this guy had called in to cancel so many times that he was told by Retention that hes no longer getting discounts everytime he tries to cancel to get it.

Sorry about the long post but it was a long time coming.
    Last edited by XXDarrienX; 03-13-2008, 03:15 PM.
    Never Underestimate the Element of Surprise - Odo, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Captain John Rourke(Clear Skies) - Ah, yes. another Black Bird. Are they free with cereal now or something?

Quoth XXDarrienX View Post
    We have outsourced call centers that provide backup for calls. I took a call from a outsourcer that told me a customer was having an issue with making or receiving collect calls. Usually its a problem with correction facilities. I thought I would ask a simple question that would allow the rep to tell the customer and it could end the call right then and there without a transfer. The outsourcers response to the question of what kind of collect calls? "We do not ask those kinds of questions". Even worse are the ones that say one moment as if going to find out the question you asked only to transfer the customer without you getting any warning till you hear Hello?? on the line. I decided at one point they are complete idiots and that do not bother to try to do anything.
    I feel for you. Outsourcing only increases call volumes. Mostly from the outsourcers calling back into the system to transfer calls to reps that know how to do things.

Since most outsourcers are in foreign countries, I get to hear "wow, you speak english" when customer get connected to me. I don't even know how to answer that one.

I think most outsource companies are after the quick buck and it shows in the rep training. which seems to amount to them listening for a magic word that will let them transfer the call to another department.

As long as cost is the motivator, I doubt this will change.
    I feel crazy. Like I'm drunk and trapped in a water globe and someone won't stop shaking it.
    -The Amazing E
    Zonies social group now open!

Comment

Ah, yes, the joys of outsourced reps.

Earthlink has outsourced their customer service. Every time we've had to deal with them, it has been someone who doesn't speak English well enough to work a call center for an English speaking client base, and also who usually doesn't know anything about Internet service.

I can't imagine what it must be like for the people still at the home office who get to deal with the people pissed off by reaching one of the less-competent at an outsourced call center.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Ah yes, such joy was created from the backlash we get and a day did not go by that I did not get a customer so happy to get someone that speaks English.

Captain John Rourke(Clear Skies) - Ah, yes. another Black Bird. Are they free with cereal now or something?

Comment

yeah, and on the outsourcing topic... now if you have even the slightest of accept or speech impedement you'll get people asking every day whether or not you are in the US or if you are "overseas"
          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Outsourcing ... all I can say about that is: a pox on those who do it!

That said, I can't stand the folks who can't understand anyone who doesn't sound like a TV newscaster. Look, it's a slight accent. What's the big effing deal? It's STILL English you in-bred twit. You understand the twang on your Country-and-Western Jesus Channel ... yet, a slight Asian or Middle Eastern accent and you go batshit!?!?

Oh, and to the OP: don't apologize for it being long. Post another one ... longer. Great stuff (to read)!
            "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

One of my friends had a problem and called the oh-so-helpful outsourced call center. She didn't care about his English-speaking abilities (or lack thereof), she cared that he had a script & since her problem wasn't on it, he just didn't hear her. He just kept repeating the script. Over. And Over. And Over.
              I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

Quoth XXDarrienX View Post

I would have to say that is depends on the type of outsourcing. I work for an outsource company, I take calls for one and only one company even though my pay check is signed by a different company. We are not allowed to push back on other department and if we have to transfer someone because it is an issue that we do not/ cannot deal with we have to make sure with the other rep that we are calling the correct department and if not we have to find out where we should be calling and try again. Once we find the right department we have to introduce the customer to the new rep before hanging up.

However I do feel your pain the company I take calls for recently implemented a new feature for customers to make calling easier and less confusing. When you call it tells you to hold on the line and a live agent will be on to help you or press 1 to use the old phone menu. The agents that answer the calls are always sending people to the wrong department and they do not have to stay on the on the line.
                The the agent will dial the same number press 1 for the menu and selects the options for the caller. Once they have selected all the options they transfer the call and hang up.

So then the call comes to me and about 50% of the time they needed to talk to another department and I end up needing to transfer the caller again, and of course they get pissed so then I explain how to use the phone menu instead of the live agent.

There are times when the other agent will stay on the line to tell us they have a caller that needs help with something when we mention they have the wrong department they say: "Well can't you just help him anyways?" And our company policy is that we can not push back and tell them to try again so they transfer the call.

But I wouldn't say all outsourcing is bad you would be surprised how many different places you call are outsourced. Outsourcing to India on the other hand I have lost jobs due to that in the past.

Comment

Well I should have meant foreign outsourcers. As I am now working in an outsourced call center for a IT Consultant Firm.

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
                    That said, I can't stand the folks who can't understand anyone who doesn't sound like a TV newscaster. Look, it's a slight accent. What's the big effing deal? It's STILL English you in-bred twit. You understand the twang on your Country-and-Western Jesus Channel ... yet, a slight Asian or Middle Eastern accent and you go batshit!?!?
                    Except that I am partially deaf and struggle to understand anyone with an accent.

I guess you can't stand me, or my mother or my brother.
                    "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

The way I read marasbaras's comment was that he was talking about the people who refuse to try to understand different accents, not necessarily a lack of understanding due to a physical difference of your own.

I'm sure that you would love to be able to understand everyone, regardless of how they speak. However, you can't because of your partial deafness.

SC's often hear someone with an accent and get angry, and insist that they can't understand it because they don't want to have to put in a little extra effort to listen to them.
                      "When life gives you lemons, you give life a f---ing paper cut and then squeeze f---ing lemon juice on it, because life should give you something better than f---ing lemons."

Comment

Quoth Finduilas View Post
                        The way I read marasbaras's comment was that he was talking about the people who refuse to try to understand different accents,
                        He did say, "I can't stand the folks who can't understand anyone who doesn't sound like a TV newscaster..." , not "folks who won't make the effort".

However it was late when I read the post and I was tired and I probably over reacted. In the cold light of day, his comment seems a lot less personal when taken in context and I shouldn't have taken offence.
                        "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Problem with India

Quoth marasbaras View Post
                          India has some of the best English classes in the world, but if you don't use it you lose it. Watch the news! Outsourcing to India is so big that the companies there are running out of people who are fluent in English, they are hiring people who have not spoken non-stop English sentences in years (decades even).

Worse, cultural barriers. I have had to fight thru some Japanese service manuals where it is clear the writer really was thinking in Japanese as they wrote it, then when you hit a tough spot and call for help you get an Indian person who has no idea what you are talking about from his cultural point of view.

The problem is not out-sourcing to India, it is the HUGE amount of out-sourcing to India - They just don't have enough well trained people either!

Comment

I hate when customers start the call with "An American! God bless you!" or "You speak English!" (usually with a VERY pronounced Southern accent) I just don't have a polite way to respond to that.

All of our Indian outsource centers are wonderful. Their accents are completely understandable, they are very, very polite, and do what they're supposed to. Our Filipino centers, however, are always troubleshooting wrong and not verifying customer information before giving out information. I think that may be more due to our Indian centers being billing support and our Filipino center being tech support though - billing just requires knowing the billing systems and our policies, tech support requires a lot more.

Comment

Working...
                            X