This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ivory Kitty

Has a toe infection. How this slipped past me, I'm not sure *shame*. Her pinky toe, front left foot has some kind of growth on it. It looks like a keratin growth, scraggly and dark brown/black. Whatever it is, it's coming out of her nail bed next to her nail, and it's raw. Vet said it was infected (how the hell did I miss this??) because of the stink/funk in the toe.
    She's on antibiotics, Amoxicillin (the chalky icky one), has a bandage and just in a bad mood. Her mood is partially due to her being a Crusty Old Lady (she's 10), and her pain/pride.
    And she's been grinding her teeth since I got her. Vet tech mentioned, "It might be the pain in her toe, because of this". Which made me even more mad at myself, she's been grinding her teeth since I got her.
    But, no matter what, she's home with antibiotics, isn't killing me yet, and we're going back in to the vet in a few days. Let's get her healed up!
    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Hope she's all better soon!!
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Aw, poor kitty! I hope she's better soon!

Comment

Cats are good at concealing pain and injury. It's part of how they survived in the wild, before they became pets.

If you don't make a specific point of checking them all over, frequently, you WILL miss things. And even if you do, at least once in kitty's life, you'll miss something.

Your vet knows this. Your vet forgives you, and kitty was intending you to not notice.

To help you forgive yourself; ask your vet (or a vet tech) to demonstrate giving kitty a full health check, and practice in front of her.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
          Cats are good at concealing pain and injury. It's part of how they survived in the wild, before they became petsstarted keeping humans as servants.
          Fixed that for you.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Ivory Kitty Update

Well, after 3 weeks of anti-biotics (aka torture juice), she's healthy enough for surgery. The toe has not closed enough to ensure no infection, so, we're going to have to amputate the toe to the knuckle.
            She had some bloodwork done too, and it's showing that she's healthy otherwise, liver's good, kidneys are good, yada yada.
            Doc told me that she needs to fatten up a bit, so I'm going to give her kitten mushy food from here on out til we figure more. Doc says this muscle loss/overall icky is due to nutrition malabsorption. I've been feeding her the wrong stuff.
            So, mushy food mixed with kitten food, get ready for a surgery (18th) and probably change food too.

She is the MOST expensive cat I've ever had. And a trooper through all of it, too.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
              Cats are good at concealing pain and injury. It's part of how they survived in the wild, before they became pets.
              Yeah not as if you can ask them, "Tell me where it hurts." I mean you CAN ask but they usually just reply "meow" or "woof" or give you a look.

Hope your kitty is feeling good soon!

Comment

Quoth Der Cute View Post
                Well, after 3 weeks of anti-biotics (aka torture juice), she's healthy enough for surgery. The toe has not closed enough to ensure no infection, so, we're going to have to amputate the toe to the knuckle.
                Poor kitty.

Make sure she has soft litter for after the surgery; her paw will hurt on rougher stuff. Ask the vet for suggestions, perhaps.

Start now, mixing the new litter in with the old until she's comfortable with it. You can revert to whatever she's using now once the paw is fully healed.

If she 'misbehaves' litter-use wise after the surgery, it's probably pain (associating the litter box with pain in the paw). You may need to try a tiny bit of the soft litter on top of an absorbant pad. (An old towel, or something.)

My Elderly Cat sometimes pees in the bathtub or the shower, having noticed (on her own!) that the pee just goes away when she does. If Ivory Kitty does pee-misbehave after the surgery, you could try showing her that trick.
                Watch her, and as soon as you see her prepping to pee, pick her up and put her near the drain in the shower stall. Or scatter some litter there (be careful what sort - clumping sorts might clog the pipes).
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I've tried other litter with her, she won't do it. She has to have this kind, won't tolerate or let me change it. So it's going to be a thin layer, and wash her foot often. Joy.
                  that stupid cone on her, she's kind of used to it now, resigned even.

Comment

Working...
                  X