Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have my own credit card, though my dad does have access to my account, as he set it up when I was 16. He had his own copy of the card with his name on it, in case he needed to use it.

Having had my card number stolen and used to order stuff online, and after being made to deal with the aftermath (disputing the charges, cancelling the card, getting a new card, etc) I would much prefer a store to be too careful and be a tad inconvenienced than to have them blindly ignore all CC transactions.

That being said, most grocery stores and chain stores (Target, Walmart, etc) that I've been to, both in my area and while traveling, don't even take the card from you anymore--they just let you swipe and sign on the pinpad, don't even look at the name.

My general rule as a CSR is that you have to draw one line for all customers. It sucks, because there are good honest people out there, and there are liars and thieves, but if you blindly trust everyone, you're likely to get screwed. That being said, I don't initially doubt someone unless they give me reason to, but unless I have good reason to trust you (as in I've worked with you many times before and I know you're trustworthy) I'm not going to let you get around the rules and hope you're telling the truth. My job is not worth sparing you getting indignant.
    "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

The problem is a lot of stores don't check for this. I did once give my CC to my fiance but not for purchasing, it was so she could make a cash advance at the ATM (I know not the best idea but we really needed the money, long story). After we get married we plan to get cards with BOTH our names on them (and yes this can be done) to avoid problems like this.

My manager at the games store lost a few potential customers during the holidays because of this. They got really pissed at him and grumbled about how they could do it at other stores as if that would have any impact as to whether or not they could do it at OUR store.

Seems like a simple rule, if your name is not on the card, you can't use it.

Comment

#1 Do you ever get customers who change their last name after they are married but not on the card? Very frustrating when a situation like this happens but I guess we Generally won't accept the card unless I tell the customer to sign like the card and some of them sign the old way . I said sign it like the card, sheesh.

#2 Visa Gift Cards... Still need to ask for ID. Says not valid unlessed signed, people still need to realize that.
        Providing Excellent customer service and Filtering out nonsense people.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
          I have a debit card that I use for credit transactions all the time. I've had it for about 6 years. I have never signed my card. I get asked for ID maybe 5% of the time.
          I see cards like that quite often, and I always ask for ID. Is there a reason to not sign the card? It seems to me that this makes it easier for a potential thief. They just fill in the blank and bingo - no worries about matching the signature. I guess having a pic on the front helps, but why don't people want to sign their cards?

just asking...

Comment

I can't remeber ever being asked for ID when I pay with my CC. I've had it for five years and use it almost every time I pay for something.

Come to think of it, I haven't even heard of a Danish law that requires cashiers and the like to card people paying that way. I worked as a cashier for two years, and I'd certainly hope to have heard of such a law during that time; preferably during training.

But it'll probably show up once we've had enough cases of CC fraud.
            "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Whoever said that "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
              1. Don't VISA and Mastercard have merchant guidelines that say that a merchant has to take a signed card without ID, unless they suspect the card is stolen?
              Here's a PDF document that will help explain alot about how to accept Visa cards. Your anwer is on page 29. I'll copy it here, remember this is when their Visa card is signed on the back....

When should you ask a cardholder for an official government ID? Although Visa rules do not preclude merchants from asking for cardholder ID, merchants
              cannot make an ID a condition of acceptance. Therefore, merchants cannot refuse to complete a purchase transaction because a cardholder refuses to
              provide ID. Visa believes merchants should not ask for ID as part of their regular card acceptance procedures. Laws in several states also make it illegal for
              merchants to write a cardholder’s personal information, such as an address or phone number, on a sales receipt.

Comment

Working...
              X