No announcement yet.

What Are You Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir. I'm quite enjoying it; it's a seamless blend of SF and fantasy with a good amount of snark.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

• Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
      I have started reading Un Lun Dun by China Miéville.
      I have finished Un Lun Dun and it is an excellent story. I would love to see a movie made of it. It might have to be an animated movie due to the nature of some of the characters.

My next book is China's Wings by Gregory Crouch. It is the true story of aviation in China during the 1930s and 1940s.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• I finished the Darth Bane series. I really enjoyed it. Bane is one of the few villains who has a consistent philosophy and actually lives by it.

Now I'm reading Casting Shadows, the first book in the Passing of the Technomages trilogy by Jeanne Cavelos. It's set in the universe of the Babylon 5 tv series. The main character is Galen, the technomage featured in the Crusade spin-off series. I've had this trilogy for a while, but it was packed up when I was living in the apartment. Now that I've unpacked it, I'm looking forward to reading it.
        "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
        -Mira Furlan

Comment

• I am reading the Witcher books by Andre Sapowski. We watched the first episode of the show and neither of us thought it was great, but my husband LOVES the books and finally convinced me to read them, then we can try more of the show to see if it improves. Apparently the timeline of the show is all over the place and the books will explain a lot.
          https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

• Rereading my way through the "In Times Like These" series, by Nathan Van Coops.
            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

• Getting my money's worth out of my Kindle Unlimited subscription... Reading Steve McHugh's Hellequin series.

Modern day sorcerer, werewolves, vampires. First book was quite good for a first novel, quite enjoyed it. I'm on the third book in the series...

https://www.amazon.com/Crimes-Agains...eve+mch&sr=8-4
              Last edited by It's me; 12-30-2019, 01:42 AM.
              There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

• "The Dog Who Could Fly", Damien Lewis. A fun read about a Czech airman in WWII and the dog that he rescued and brought with him into battle in the air over France and Germany. Based on the unpublished memoir of the airman, who later settled down in England.
                “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

• Almost finished The Stonehenge Gates by Jack Williamson. I'm wondering when (if) we'll find out what happened to the other two people who were in the early parts of the story ...

After which I plan to struggle through the rest of The Princes of Ireland by Edward Rutherfurd. I read his novel Sarum and I did enjoy it, but I admit I'm struggling with Princes of Ireland.
                  Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                  ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Just finished Damnation Island: Poor, Sick, Mad, and Criminal in 19th-Century New York the other night.

Started The Radium Girls last night.
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

• Rutherfurd is scrapped for the moment. I've just finished The Jupiter Myth by Lindsey David (a murder mystery series set in ancient Rome, although this particular novel takes place in Londinium) and have started to re-read My Turn to Make the Tea by Monica Dickens. It's the story of her short-lived career as a reporter on a weekly newspaper. There's no time period ever specified, but the equipment consists of typewriters (correction: ONE typewriter for five reporters), pencils/pens and paper, text placed letter by letter (backwards, of course) into square forms, and hot lead. 1930s? 1940s? Not later than that, I'm sure.
                      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Red Branch by Morgan Llywelyn. She does great Irish historical fiction
                        My son thinks I'm Lucifer Morningstar. I'm not sure he's wrong.

Comment

• Quoth Pixelated View Post
                          Rutherfurd is scrapped for the moment. I've just finished The Jupiter Myth by Lindsey David (a murder mystery series set in ancient Rome, although this particular novel takes place in Londinium) ...
                          Actually it is Lindsey Davis.

The Jupiter Myth is the 14th novel in the Marcus Didius Falco series. I have read the first 13 novels in the series. They are great.
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• I'm re-reading The Wheel of Time for what seems like the hundredth time, am almost finished with Towers of Midnight [the next to last book]. After I get through that I might dig through some of my Star Wars books and see if I still have any of the X-Wing books.
                            Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

• Just finished Wicked Saints thinking it was a nice little standalone novel. Except it's the first book of a trilogy, the second book (Ruthless Gods if anyone's wondering ) isn't out until April, and I really didn't want to commit to a series right now, but here we are.
                              I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

• Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                                Actually it is Lindsey Davis.

The Jupiter Myth is the 14th novel in the Marcus Didius Falco series. I have read the first 13 novels in the series. They are great.
                                Dammit, this is what I get for typing in the wee hours of the morning ... I'm pretty sure I actually had the book in front of me while I was typing that!

Yeah, I love the series. He's not your standard indestructible hero. He gets his ass handed to him periodically, AND he screws up on his own sometimes. He's also got a good sense of humour.

Finished reading My Turn to Make the Tea and also The Divide, a YA novel by Elizabeth Kay. The main character is Felix, a young boy who has a serious heart condition that will almost certainly kill him in the very near future (talk about a bleak start to a novel ...) He and his family are in Costa Rica and he wants to see the Great Divide, so while his parents are standing there on the path debating whether it's healthy for him to go all the way to the Divide, he skitters off on his own and goes there. But while he's standing there with one foot on one side and the other foot on the other side, he faints ... and wakes up in a totally different world, one in which our mythical beasts and peoples are real ... but humans are imaginary. He has to enlist the help of a local person (a young elf girl named Betony) and some other fantastic beasts to get home ... and there is also the possibility that a cure for his heart disease might exist in this world.
                                ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
                                X