This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got an interesting little local shop? Don't wait to visit it

There was a neat-looking little 'used furniture' store in my city. It was obviously an indie place, and I suspect the owner had done his own signage. Everytime I drove past, I thought "Dammit, I really want to drop in there ..."

Well, I drove by again today. Windows are empty and all the signs that were in the windows are gone ... store is empty. I looked it up on the interwebz and it's "permanently closed."
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

That reminds me of a local chocolate shop run by a Muslim lady. People are calling for the community to drop in to defy the ones who won't because they are discriminatory. For that reason and the fact that it's a small business I think I should buy some chocolate for my parents. I just wish I had time. I'm working too many hours.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Yup. I just stopped at two small, interesting shops in a mall here, and spent money on a couple little things I normally wouldn't have. Gotta encourage that novelty!

Comment

I've slowly watched the funky little stores in most of my childhood hangouts driven out by rising rents, greedy landlords and developers but the newest construction/mallification is

One of the last holdouts in an area I used to love visiting is an amazing little indie gift store (only two locations, the other is much smaller across the river); their building was bought by an investment company out of NC and Gord knows what they're going to do to the block. Most of the rest of it is now chain stores that can afford the new astronomical rents. The shop has a large sketchpad in the front and are encouraging everyone to write notes to the developer about how essential local businesses are. I stopped in today to buy a few things I didn't really "need" and the front window was papered with the filled pages (and I noted that the manager had highlighted a two-paragraph screed I had penned a month ago).
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

We have a new age trinket shop, an independent shoe store, a shoe repair, two independent jewelry stores, and an import store (unless it closed), all in our downtown. Wisconsin has all sorts of old downtown retail areas, the kind that I think of when I hear Petula Clark sing that song.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
          X