Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a (ex) coworker on her last day draw a nice picture of sunshine and trees and hills.

I actually had 2 signatures in my life. One from when I was 16 and one now. I still do the 16 one at times, but the one I use is a lot easier.

Comment

I now basically have 2 signatures, a short form and a long form. The long version is my writing out my first and last name. I tend to use that on 'official' documents such as my passport or DL.

my short version is basically just my initials writ together. That I tend to use for everything else including CC receipts (the few times I actually still need to sign, thank you PIN transactions)

Comment

Here in the land of Oz (Downunder) we can no longer sign for our purchases. It's a PIN or nothing. The banks explain it as better security and I understand why.

I have never seen a store employee actually check a signature from the back of the card with the signature on the receipt. The only time my signature has ever been checked was in my bank, and they made me sign it again when my signature on paper didn't match the signature on the back of the card.

There were two reasons for that. First was I have not been signing my name very much lately. I pay all my bills online. I buy some stuff online and the rest of the time I use a PIN at the supermarket. Second reason is that the back of the card where you have to sign is very slippery and I have trouble controlling the pen on that little strip.

My thought on PINs is that they are not very secure. You have to use them in all sorts of places where people can see you, and in some supermarkets there are security cameras that could capture your PIN. It is still the best security we have so far and I don't think I would want fingerprints or retinal scans instead.

Comment

Quoth gerund View Post
          My thought on PINs is that they are not very secure. You have to use them in all sorts of places where people can see you, and in some supermarkets there are security cameras that could capture your PIN. It is still the best security we have so far and I don't think I would want fingerprints or retinal scans instead.
          There's a way to bump up your personal security on these.

1) Learn where the digits are on a PIN pad.
          2) Work out how to touch-type your PIN (or PINs).
          3) Use your free hand to completely cover the pad/your typing hand when entering the number. For added security where possible, hunch your body as far over the pad as is practical to help block any side views.

Of course this all breaks down a bit if the keys on the PIN pad are sticky and have to be hammered...
          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post

1) Learn where the digits are on a PIN pad.
            2) Work out how to touch-type your PIN (or PINs).
            3) Use your free hand to completely cover the pad/your typing hand when entering the number. For added security where possible, hunch your body as far over the pad as is practical to help block any side views.
            I haven't personally had this happen, but a co-worker told me a story of personal space invasion which seems relevant to this.

She was at a large grocery store, the kind which records (or something?) how fast the cashiers go. When it was time for her to punch in her PIN, the customer behind her nearly stands on her heels.
            CW: Step back, please.
            SC: *blank stare* What?
            CW: I need to punch in my PIN stand back.
            SC: What? You're being so paranoid.
            CW: I'm not going to finish until you step back.
            At this point the cashier (probably seeing her speed rating go down) steps in and firmly asks the SC to step back for security reasons, and SC did. Yeah, my CW could have done the "cover with hand" thing and maybe it was an overreaction on my CW's part, but sometimes you hit that point where it's like BACK OFF.
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I usually cover the pad with my free hand. Most pads here also have "blinkers" to make snooping harder from the side.

I hate pads which put the function keys *below* the actual numbers. I sometimes hit one of those by accident instead of the digit I was aiming for.

Comment

When debit card liability is decreased and purchase limit is increased, to match those of credit cards, I will start using a pin instead of signing. Until then, I am more than happy to provide ID to any POS cashier who wants it, even though it's against TOS.
                Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Working...
                X