Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I almost think I could learn German just from this site. This is where I was introduced to the backronymn of Toll Ein Anderer Machts (TEAM), which roughly translates to "Oh, good. Someone else is doing it."

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
    Unless she's learning another language for work related purposes, that is a work computer and she's on the clock.
    Sorry, I should have clarified. She was using an app on her phone. I think she gave up on it (or, at least, gave up on trying it at work) because I haven't heard any German phrases from her cube for a while...
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

Comment

I livened up my German oral exam,when instead of booking the specified hotel room for drei Nachte(three nights),I opted for drei Nakte(three nude people)
      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

While I know very little German, I know about as much ASL (American Sign Language). I had taken some classes at the hospital where I was working because I had a deaf co-worker and at least wanted to be able to say hello to her. I got far enough to do that, but crashed and burned when I tried to introduce her to Turtleguy. She started laughing, and her boss, who was interpreting, said I'd introduced him as my burrito. She also said it was nice that I was trying so hard to communicate with her, and by the time I took the second class, which she taught, I was able to use the correct sign.

Comment

Speaking of weird things CW's do...."Wilma" at work continues to follow rules from years ago that literally have no application now. Ex.: When someone cancels their ad, she gives them a "cancellation receipt number." There is NO POINT to this any more as the rates are non-refundable if the ad is cancelled. No one else in the office has done this for probably 20 years, but there's Wilma, still doing it. I've had old ladies call back and tell me they were given this number but "it's disconnected." Yes...they thought it was a phone number they were supposed to call!
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I think Cat was bored earlier this week. Anytime she overheard a conversation up to about four cube aisles away, she'd pause to listen. If someone in that conversation laughed, she'd get up, find whoever was talking, shoehorn herself into the group, and try to get in on whatever joke just happened.

*Laugh from somewhere nearby.
            *Cat gets up.
            *Conversation moves on.
            *Cat walks down the aisles.
            *Conversation moves on to something not funny at all.
            *Cat reaches speakers.
            Cat: So what are you all laughing about?
            *Awkward pause.
            CW: Oh, I was telling Other CW about when Somebody Else did this Thin--
            Cat: ...Did this Thing? Oh yeah! HAHAHAHA!
            *Awkward pause.
            *Awkward small talk.
            *Cat returns to her desk.

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            Speaking of weird things CW's do...."Wilma" at work continues to follow rules from years ago that literally have no application now.
            You've just described more than half of the people I used to work with a few years ago at [other office job]. Many documents were scanned and digitally archived, and we could all access those archives from our workstations, but they'd still make photocopies to keep in their filing cabinets. One co-worker had two four-drawer cabinets FULL of documents that were also available online; I had one two-drawer cabinet that held snacks, my backup headset, a dozen empty folders, and my dusty "new employee orientation book" that I only kept because they wouldn't let me throw it away.
            I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
            - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
            - IPF

Comment

I had a lovely CW who talked almost constantly. What was unfortunate was when she had something relevant to say, no one listened to her.

Comment

Working...
              X