This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signs of the times

1.) The scene: I'm at the neonatal ICU at the hospital to meet a kid who's just been assigned to me.

Me: Hi, I'm antisocial_worker from Dark Corner County, here to see Namela Namerson, baby girl from Dark Corner, born last week?

Nurse: I'm not seeing that name...

Me: She was born addicted to amphetamines, methamphetamine, and about three other drugs.

Nurse: You'll need to be more specific.

2.) Our primary CPS investigator is a colorful sort of lady. Last week was a total bitch of a week in which 7 kids were taken into custody. Our colorful lady reached her breaking point, stepped out into the hall and announced to the department at large at the top of her lungs, "I have half a damn mind to grab my pocketbook, grab my crotch, and ride my hand right the hell out of this nuthouse!"
    Drive it like it's a county car.

Quoth Antisocial_Worker View Post
    Me: She was born addicted to amphetamines, methamphetamine, and about three other drugs.

Nurse: You'll need to be more specific.
    That is .... That is just horrific!!!
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

My second kid was a preemie and in the NICU for a month. There was another kid there who was born around the same time and was at around the same time. She cried and screamed CONSTANTLY. One day I overheard one of the nurses mention something about the kid's morphine. Poor thing, I thought, what kind of issues or surgery did she have that they gave a newborn morphine? I mentioned it to my mother-in-law, who was a nurse, and she said it's given to help wean babies who were born addicted to drugs. Which explained some things, like why she cried so much, poor little mite. And every time I went in to see my son, if the girl's mother was there, she glared at me. We'd never spoken or anything, but she always stared at me like I'd just barged into her private nursery. I wonder if she felt ashamed or something. Unfortunately MiL - who'd worked at the hospital- said it was more likely than not that a kid in the NICU was there to be weaned off drugs.
      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
        doesn't begin to cover it!!!
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Number one sadly doesn't surprise me at all. And frankly with the turnover in our agency lately, neither does number two.

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
            That was my first thought as well ...

As for the second one ... I can believe it.
            Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
            X