This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bus driver had a bad day., but...

The other day my usual bus to work was 20 minutes late. I asked the bus driver "What happened, you're closer to the next bus than your own slot?" His response was "We had to have someone taken off the bus, so don't start or you'll get the same!"

I waited until I was seated before I noted "I understand it's frustrating when you get a nutter, but that's no call to start threatening folks who ask why you're late". (I could also have noted that I'm one of his regulars....) He gave me a quick look, but didn't say anything else.

On the way out, I did say "hope the rest of your day goes better", he smiled at that.

Totally inappropriate on his part. You showed restraint. He would have gotten a much sharper response for his threat from me.

Comment

I used to take 3 buses to work, and 3 back home again. Office work, and my shift never varied. One of my buses got a new driver who wasn't the nicest man ever to drive a bus. I was never rude to him, because I usually read and mind my own business when on public transport. One day the bus rolls up with the wrong route sign up in the window. He pulled up and I got on and asked if he was going to my route, because the sign said otherwise. He got super cranky, and just took off. I got off at my stop, annoyed as hell. The next day, however, he saw me and didn't stop at all, just left me waiting all on my lonesome.

I got in to work nearly an hour late, had to fast talk my way out of trouble, and then I called the bus company and complained HARD. I never saw the driver again in all the many months I continued taking that bus. And the reason the signage was wrong was that the route was a loop that touched ends with another route loop of a different name, and the same bus and driver would drive the 'figure 8' of both routes, and he'd failed to change over his sign.

All he had to do was say 'whoops!' and fix it, and it would have been forgotten. but because he stranded me, alone in my early 20's, at dawn, I was angry, and I reported him.

Comment

Ugh, I hate crabby bus drivers! Look, I don't wanna be out at there at 7:30 A.M. either! Don't take your crap out on me!

Not long ago my bus showed up with a completely different destination listed on both the front and the side. Since it was the regular time for my bus, I asked the driver if it was the [whatever number]. She says, "Don't you recognize me?"

Uh, NO, no I don't. I don't memorize what my driver looks like, especially when sometimes it's a different driver - which had actually happened earlier that same week. When I told her she had the name of another town (in another county!) on her bus, she looked at me like I had three heads.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Minflick View Post
          All he had to do was say 'whoops!' and fix it, and it would have been forgotten. but because he stranded me, alone in my early 20's, at dawn, I was angry, and I reported him.
          My city has a similar Figure 8 route. (12 to 13 to 10 to 11 to 12), and the drivers often forget to either update the bus sign, or the ReadyPass broadcaster when they change over. If I notice, I'll point it out and as you say, they usually just say 'whoops' and fix it up. Rarely if ever, have I seen a grumpy driver who is annoyed by that.

Comment

It happens, I totally understand! I'd seen it before, so, you know, dawn, and not wanting to get on the wrong bus at o'dawn thirty, I asked. Butt hurt ensued! Drivers usually aren't that fragile!

Comment

Where was the driver you needed the most?
              You get to the stop, but maybe he's lost
              They tell you a rider could not stay
              They tell you a passenger has gone away
              And they don't need him riding on
              To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Working...
              X