Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is why I haven't posted in so long.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is why I haven't posted in so long.

(I haven't been posting because I respond to stress by trimming things out of my life. I've been under a lot of stress lately; posting on this site kinda fell by the wayside.)

(Lots of this belongs in Morons in Management, but I don't feel like doing multiple posts right now.)

Big, big changes have come to Big Green Cab Co. How big? Well...

1. We lost our #2 contract. I discussed this in the thread Here we go again... Company-wide, it was around 20% of our total business... but for wheelchair drivers like myself? More. Significantly more. In my case, fully half of my trips were from that one account, and I know one driver where it was literally 80% of his business. (Of course, he was smart enough to quit the day before this happened.)

2. Our corporate overlords decided it was time for a new dispatch system. (That's the computer system that handles dispatching calls.) Apparently, the old one was rather expensive to maintain, and it had its share of problems. Unfortunately, the new system is an absolute disaster; calls are:
    - repeatedly duplicated (there was one where 6 of us showed up for the same person)
    - mysteriously deleted
    - getting sent out hours late (literally 2-3 hours)
    - given the wrong pickup time (usually 12 hours off)
    - sent out with pickup and drop off addresses reversed
    - dispatched to multiple companies (!)
    ...and there are numerous other issues.

3. At the same time, new call center software was installed. The old system worked just fine, but the new system makes it almost impossible to get through to a human being (the normal method of "press 0 for a human" doesn't seem to work), instead insisting on forcing you to use the voice recognition prompt... which sucks horribly. Add 40+ minute hold times and watch our cash business go into free fall!

4. Also at the same time, and related to #2 above, the company got rid of our driver support department, under the theory of "the new software is so good we won't need dedicated support personnel." (Wrong.) Now, the ENTIRE CALL CENTER is "driver support", which none of them have been trained for in any way, and there are exactly 4 reasons we are allowed to call in for:
    - been in a wreck
    - roadside assistance
    - need help with their current "let's compete with Uber" app
    - a very short list of things wrong with a call, to wit:
    * destination is incorrect
    * a cash trip should be a voucher trip
    * can't perform the trip due to vehicle or driver incompatibility (e.g. wheelchair passenger, non-wc cab)
    * destination is closed and need to return passenger to pickup
    ...and NOTHING ELSE. In fact, the phone message when calling was updated a couple days ago, and option 4 was replaced with, "If you are not calling for one of these 3 options, we are not able to help you at this number," but pressing 4 still gets us to what passes for the support line.

5. Speaking of that "let's compete with Uber" app, a lot of our cash calls have been getting "mysteriously" routed to them instead of to, you know, CABS. I can understand a car call coming in to a cab, because the passenger would still get charged the (lower) car rate, but I've had passengers who specifically request a cab, and have an unmarked car show up instead.

6. Not a change, but... it's summer here. In Desert Hell, that's the slow season for cabs, because the college kids and snowbird are all gone... and also, nobody wants to go anywhere when it's 110+ outside.

All of the above happened at the same time: #1 went into effect July 1st, and everything else on July 2nd. (There are other issues, but they're not really relevant.)

So. Problem #1 slashed everyone's income, significantly. (It may have been 18% of the company's trips, but I'm pretty sure it was significantly higher money-wise.) Problem #2 has built Mount Everest where there used to be a series of minor speed bumps. Problem #3 has absolutely decimated our cash business. Problem #4 has pissed off every driver at this company. Problem #5 is pissing the drivers off, not to mention our customers. Problem #6 is... temporary. (Yay?)

Any one of those issues I could have dealt with. Hell, I could have dealt with all of them if I'd had some time between them -- say, a month between each one.

Needless to say, most drivers have left the company; I'd say probably around 80%. The first week of July, we had roughly 80 wheelchair drivers quit, and that's JUST the wc drivers. (July 3rd, a group of about 20 drivers quit as a group, through a single spokesman.) You'd think that would've balanced things out -- after all, fewer trips, fewer drivers, etc. That's what the company was expecting, but it hasn't happened -- my income is down to an all-time low. July was literally the worst month I've ever had at this company, worse even than when I was still learning how to cab in the first place (and I started at the beginning of summer!).

I hesitated to leave the company, hoping that they'd get their together and fix things, but alas, it's just been getting worse. Unfortunately, I've waited too long, if I intend to continue driving a cab: every other major company in town has been flooded with Big Green Cab Co drivers, especially our number one competitor, Cab Co That Is Yellow. (A friend of mine and a few others I know who all moved there have all told me "It's so much better over here." Thanks for rubbing my bad decision in my face, guys.) In fact, Yellow has so many wheelchair drivers now that they have run out of wc vans to send out.

(As a side note, Big Green Cab Co has dropped from "biggest cab company in the state" to probably the #4 or #5 position locally. Yellow is now by far the largest.)

As for why all of these "wonderful" things have been happening... there's a theory making the rounds which makes sense to me. You see, rumor has been trickling down from above that our corporate overlords want to get out of the cab business entirely, focusing instead on the other branches of the biz (public transit, medical transportation, "we're totally not Uber" apps, etc). Now, to get rid of Big Green Cab Co, they have a few options:

1. Sell it.
    2. Spin it off.
    3. Shut it down.
    4. Go bankrupt.

Option 1 would involve all sorts of money issues, most notably taxes all over the place, not to mention the fact that the buyer would likely insist on investigating the company before buying (and I won't go into the problems that would uncover). So, that's a no.

Option 2... no. Just no. Our corporate overlords are too focused on money for this to be an option.

Option 3 has its own problems, partly related to taxes, and entirely related to money.

Option 4... well, now, let's see. If we can deliberately drive ourselves out of business, we can get bankruptcy protection from creditors, taxes are deferred, and we can still sell off the business and/or its assets... sounds good to me!

I'm not saying that's what they're actually doing, but the decisions that have been coming out of the boardroom make no other sense to me.

The main thing that is keeping me going right now:
    Last edited by Deserted; 08-22-2017, 06:18 PM. Reason: clarified bullet points
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Oof. That sucks. It is always *so disheartening* to work for people that have zero concern for their employees.

Comment

Its a shame to see one of the last original companies go down like this. I will say that ifn you stay where you are long enough, you'll wind up at Yellow Cab though in the end.
      Seph
      Taur10
      "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

UPDATE

The downward slide seems to be picking up speed. We drivers were notified yesterday that the company has made more changes...

1. No more yard attendants. All yard-type things -- like, y'know, picking up a cab -- will be handled directly by the leasing office. This will not end well.

2. Reduced hours. It used to be that the yard was open 4am-7:30pm every day (Sundays closed 8am-3pm). A few weeks ago it was announced that the yard would be closed every day 10am-1pm. Shrug, whatever. Yesterday, the company announced that the yard will only be open 6am-6pm. Sigh.

3. Not officially announced to the drivers, but another 15 people were let go yesterday... including the leasing manager, the entire safety dept (except the director), and several others. This is hot on the heels of another round of "Where did [person] go?" a few weeks back.

I'm... let's just say... concerned.

I'm taking a week off to take care of a friend who just had a knee replaced (at the ripe old age of 40), and I'm a bit worried what I'll find when I go back...

Quoth Javarod View Post
        Its a shame to see one of the last original companies go down like this. I will say that ifn you stay where you are long enough, you'll wind up at Yellow Cab though in the end.
        Well... Let's not forget that Big Green used to have a different name (which I can't ever remember) before the current owners (technically the President and whatever else) bought it from the previous owners, so... not really an original company.

As for Yellow, I sorta missed the boat there. They are out of wheelchair vans -- meaning all of them are on the road, no extras available. They even had to break out the vans they had reserved for their medical transportation branch to use as cabs.

It's looking pretty likely that I'm going to be going the "Uber + Lyft + whatever" route pretty soon. "I know a guy" who has a small fleet of cars available to rent/buy/whatever, and I'll be talking to him "one of these days."
        Last edited by Deserted; 08-22-2017, 06:26 PM.
        Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd

Comment

Wow, uh... have you considered making a really radical shift? Switching careers entirely or moving away? This sounds grim...

Comment

I agree with Aria. Unless you have family reasons for staying it might be worth looking a few cities over.
            "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
              Well... Let's not forget that Big Green used to have a different name (which I can't ever remember) before the current owners (technically the President and whatever else) bought it from the previous owners, so... not really an original company.

As for Yellow, I sorta missed the boat there. They are out of wheelchair vans -- meaning all of them are on the road, no extras available. They even had to break out the vans they had reserved for their medical transportation branch to use as cabs.

It's looking pretty likely that I'm going to be going the "Uber + Lyft + whatever" route pretty soon. "I know a guy" who has a small fleet of cars available to rent/buy/whatever, and I'll be talking to him "one of these days."
              Actually from what I understand, the old days of Phoenix, it was a regulated industry, the three companies were Discount, Metro and Ace. When it was deregulated, Discount and Metro merged, and Ace died off, with one of its biggest subcontractors starting his own company (Sunrise). As to the Yellow reference, they're part of AAA Transportation which over the years bought them, Checker and pretty much everyone they could. Wait long enough, and they'll buy the remains of Discount.
              Seph
              Taur10
              "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

ANOTHER UPDATE

Well, looks like I might not be going back to Big Green Cab Co. Another announcement was made yesterday: lease rates are increasing again. This one takes some explaining.

Remember this part?

Quoth Deserted View Post
                2. Our corporate overlords decided it was time for a new dispatch system.
                What I didn’t mention is that, while the old dispatch system ran on dedicated terminals installed in the cabs, the new system is a phone app. Believe it or not, I like that part — it’s nice to be able to accept my first call of the day from my living room, rather than having to sit in my driveway until I get one. (The rest of the system is a train wreck.)

That’s all fine and dandy, no worries, whatever. But last week the company decided that they want every cab to have a company phone in it, with the dispatch app running on that, rather than our personal phones. (I’m assuming it’s so they can track where we are and what we’re doing, something that isn’t really an option with our personal phones if we’re not logged into the app.)

But yesterday’s announcement informed us that because we now all have those phones, they’re going to charge us for those phones. For single-day leases, it’s only $2/shift, weekly Prius leases have gone up $13… but weekly wheelchair leases (which is what I do) have gone up $50.

Remember, we don’t have a choice in this; we have to rent the company phone. Also remember that they didn’t drop the lease rate when they removed the old systems.

To be fair, sometime last year they dropped the wheelchair van weekly lease from $660 to $600, to attract wheelchair drivers to weekly leases, so what they’ve done is really to go back to almost the previous rate… but their entire reason stated is to cover the cost of the phone.

I’ve completely lost what little faith I still had in this company.

Quoth Javarod View Post
                Actually from what I understand, the old days of Phoenix, it was a regulated industry, the three companies were Discount, Metro and Ace. When it was deregulated, Discount and Metro merged, and Ace died off, with one of its biggest subcontractors starting his own company (Sunrise). As to the Yellow reference, they're part of AAA Transportation which over the years bought them, Checker and pretty much everyone they could. Wait long enough, and they'll buy the remains of Discount.
                Well, that was before my time. I was probably in grade school back then. And Yellow has already made an offer to buy Big Green's unused wheelchair vans, which was refused. I’m sure you’re right, though, and we’ll all be one big happy family soon.

Comment

I'm so sorry you're caught in that shit show. What a cascade of errors.

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post

Well, that was before my time. I was probably in grade school back then. And Yellow has already made an offer to buy Big Green's unused wheelchair vans, which was refused. I’m sure you’re right, though, and we’ll all be one big happy family soon.
                    Yah, before my time, got it from when I worked for Sunrise, a few of the drivers go (went?) back that far. There were still some Ace signs and other stuff kicking around the garage, so I asked about them.
                    Seph
                    Taur10

Comment

I am so sorry that you are going through this. Is moving an option? I see tons of wc transports on the roads to work. I also see cabs, but its the medical transport vans that I notice the most, because I see them every day.

You wouldn't actually have to move to town that used to be the state capital. I live about 30 miles south of my job, which is in the copy cat town next door and the commute isn't bad at all (usually about 25 minutes). You might be very surprised if I told you how much the mortgage payments on our 3 bedroom, 1 and 3/4 bathroom home with 2 lots is.

Comment

Well, in theory, yes, I could move. There's nothing really holding me to this neighborhood, city, county, state, country, continent... although I imagine I'd have a bit of difficulty changing planets.

But in reality, no, I don't think moving is really an option. For one thing, I'm out of money, and because my recent job applications haven't resulted in any replies yet, I'm back driving for Big Green Cab Co again... for now.

The good news there is, circumstances have forced me to shift my day backward a few hours earlier than I had been working, and that seems to have positively affected my income somewhat. I won't know until Tuesday (the end of my week) but I might be able to make this work, on a financial level at least. We'll see.

Comment

I don't know much about your other skills, but I just checked out the job postings for the VA hospital in your area. No driving jobs, but they are looking for a "General Equipment Repairer".

What? Its too hot to be outside and I was bored!

Comment

I don't know anything about General Equipment Repairer, nor why he's looking for work at the VA.

Comment

Working...
                            X