Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gritting my teeth over this phrase ...

The phrase is "hit the ground running." One of my new bosses just used it, and I really hate it. I think I hate it partly because my sister used it fairly often when she was "advising" me at a time when I was very stressed and frightened for my future. One of her pieces of advice was to take the train from where I lived at the time to My Hometown for interviews ... for minimum-wage jobs. It was a four- to five-hour train trip. Oh, and are you gonna pay for it, sis? Because train tickets aren't exactly cheap. Dumbest suggestion I've EVER heard.

So now when I hear the phrase all I can think of is her and her "advice" and it really makes me gnarly. My poor boss.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Quoth Pixelated View Post
    The phrase is "hit the ground running."
    Busted Myth!!!
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
      The phrase is "hit the ground running." ... So now when I hear the phrase all I can think of is her and her "advice" and it really makes me gnarly. My poor boss.
      In my case it's "calm down" - reason being that it's what my dad used to say when I was a teenager and what he actually wanted to tell me was "shut up." I could be (and usually was) perfectly calm, and he'd still say it.

Of course, he wouldn't say "shut up" because (a) he'd have called me out on that for being rude, and (b) he knew damn well that I'd have called him out on it if he tried to use it on me.

I've had to explain that one to more than one boss, including my current one.
      "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

That was one weird article.

It's interesting how a phrase you haven't heard in ages is still able to flip a switch a long time later.

The flip side is I just had a 7.5-hour shift at The Mothership. I don't think I will care much in future what phrases the lawyer uses. Holy crap. I don't know if I can do this.
        (If nothing else, might have to ask the boss to give me more shifts but shorter ones.)
        Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth BPFH View Post
          In my case it's "calm down"
          When someone tells me to "calm down", it's usually because they've deliberately been an ass to me, pushing my buttons and being a pest, pushing me to the breaking point. Then when I snap at them, I get a condescending "calm down" in return. Which, of course, makes me want to punch them in their smug face.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

The one that gets me is "reach out". It has been way overused and I'm getting ready to "reach out" and smack someone.
            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
            X