This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help finding someone...

Is there anyway of finding out contact information on a person WITHOUT having to pay for it? I have received up 2-5 calls from creditors lately for another female using my phone number. This happened about this same time last year. Husband thought maybe it was that I had a 'recycled' phone number and happened to get hers. I don't think so since I've had this number at least 16 years.

All of the calls are coming from a nearby fairly large city and we did a google search on the name. There was a result of a 73 year old female that also had multiple city/states listed. There was also a possible family member listed, but FB searches have turned up nothing either.

I don't want to harass anyone. I just want the calls to stop. I have asked these people politely not to call but they persist...even during my work hours.

Depends on exactly what sort of info you're looking for, but in general, for a living person, the answer is "no".

As for the callers, you need to get some information on their company -- especially the company's name, but things like phone numbers can also help. Talk to the people who call you, try to get the company info from them. (You can often get some info by telling them you're willing to take a message. Don't say anything suggesting that you might know that woman in any way. Yeah, you're lying to them, but in this case, big deal.)

Once you've gotten whatever info you can, be very clear that you don't know the woman and have never had any interaction with her, and you have no way of contacting her yourself -- then tell them that if the calls don't stop you'll file harassment charges with the appropriate law enforcement agencies.

Remember, it is not your responsibility to provide those companies with that woman's info. You've told the creditors you don't know her; they need to stop. There are laws against this sort of thing, after all.

P.S. I am not a lawyer. Just sayin'.
    Last edited by Deserted; 09-23-2017, 11:22 PM.
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth Luna Baby View Post
      Is there anyway of finding out contact information on a person WITHOUT having to pay for it? I have received up 2-5 calls from creditors lately for another female using my phone number. This happened about this same time last year. Husband thought maybe it was that I had a 'recycled' phone number and happened to get hers. I don't think so since I've had this number at least 16 years.

All of the calls are coming from a nearby fairly large city and we did a google search on the name. There was a result of a 73 year old female that also had multiple city/states listed. There was also a possible family member listed, but FB searches have turned up nothing either.

I don't want to harass anyone. I just want the calls to stop. I have asked these people politely not to call but they persist...even during my work hours.
      Start quoting the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. And see if you can find out what company is calling you, then send them a Cease and Desist, certified, return receipt requested.
      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Are you trying to track down the person for them? If so, think about it. They have the resources, and they can't find her.

You are better off going after the debt collectors. Here is some good information.
        https://www.consumerfinance.gov/ask-...lector-en-336/

Google for "debt collection harassment lawyer". Find one in your area. I would bet the some will take nothing up front as they will be paid by the collection agency if they win.

By the way, the phone number you are getting on the caller ID, is probably bogus.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I at one time had women calling me looking for a person they had meet in the bar the night before. I found out he was purposely transposing the beginning of the number, changing his 428 to my 482. Once I found that big of info I would occasionally give them the right number. The straw that broke the camel's back was the day we had gotten home real late from my late night's spinal surgery and one called at 2 am. I proceeded to tell them that I was his wife and I had just been treated again for a STD and advised the m to go get tested. I also told them that since I had their phone number that I was giving it to my attorney so he could contact them to testify about his cheating ways. I never got another call after that

Comment

No, not trying to track her down for them, for myself. I want to talk to her, find out why she is using my number. Today, another called, this time about a time share. I think I've now figured out she is probably scamming for the free stuff, like timeshare stays and such by going to the presentation but instead of saying, no, not interested, she is using my number and going along with it like it's legit.

I've had all I want at this point. I've just started adding these numbers to my blocked list.

Comment

If it's actually gone to collections, and you're getting called by debt collectors, just give them all the information you've dug up, keep them on the phone for a while with some innocuous discussion (it plays hell with their call metrics), and say goodbye. They're the ones who have access to and prior arrangement with investigators, let them do it on their dime.

Comment

It sounds like the debt was sold to another company; the previous creditor (or agency) turned over all contact information they had for the debtor, which was doubtless hideously out of date. The new agency probably figures they have nothing to lose by trying to find this woman, and they're using the only contact information they have. And as I'm sure you have discovered, collections agencies are notorious for being relentless, and for ignoring little details like what is and isn't ethical or even legal.

I'm going to concur with what others have said. DON'T try to track her down. Not only does it sound like a futile task, there's an admittedly-remote chance it could land you in legal trouble. And odds are, even if you find her, she's likely to not give a damn about your plight. I promise, she isn't going to step up and take responsibility for her debt.

The cease-and-desist order with the collections agency is probably your best option. It will demonstrate to them that they do indeed have incorrect information and also that you're willing to hit them where it hurts - their bottom line - if they persist.
                Last edited by CyberLurch; 09-24-2017, 11:47 PM. Reason: reworded slightly.

Comment

Quoth CyberLurch View Post
                  *snip*

I'm going to concur with what others have said. DON'T try to track her down. Not only does it sound like a futile task, there's an admittedly-remote chance it could land you in legal trouble. And odds are, even if you find her, she's likely to not give a damn about your plight. I promise, she isn't going to step up and take responsibility for her debt.

*snip*
                  Exactly this. Nor is she going to give you anything remotely resembling a valid reason as to why she's using your number. She's using it because it's convenient for her, period. This is causing you problems? From her POV it'll be "Too bad, so sad."

Some good advice here to get the debt collectors off your back. Anybody else, just say you don't know who this person is nor why she's using your number nor are you interested in their wares. If they call back, tell them you've already had this discussion and now you're blocking them.
                  Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                  ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Thanks, folks. I just started blocking the numbers at this point because it has started to interfere with my work hours.

Comment

Assuming you are in the US:

If any of the debt folks get through, start quoting the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act at them, as mjr said. Read the act first; Google will turn it up for you.

There are likely similar anti-harrassment laws elsewhere, but I don't know them. Google can probably turn those up for you as well.
                      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
                      X