X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is why I can't have nice things PII

Here is the first post
    http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...d.php?t=118239

back in early June I placed a miniature rose bush in a stone pot on my GF's grave. Over the summer the rtse did not do so well because of bugs/ants munching on it. So in early August I found a lone LED light up angel during one of my many trips to the home improvement store this summer. I put the Angel at the gravesite and took the rose bush home to recuperate.

I went to my GFs grave earlier today and found the light up angel MISSING . I texted her daughter and she said it might have been missing last weekend and I am sure it was there 2 weeks ago.

I swear NOT EVEN IN A GRAVE YARD is stuff safe anymore
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

I understand the frustration with having personal property stolen/vandalized. With something as personal as a grave decoration, I can't even begin to manage.

You may want to check with the caretakers. They may have removed it. Some grave yards have strick rules on what can and can not be displayed. Lighting tends to be one of the things that is frowned upon.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
      You may want to check with the caretakers. They may have removed it.
      They might have taken it up, because it got in the way....or maybe they ran over it with a lawnmower. Many cemeteries aren't exactly neat with their maintenance. For years, my mom and I have put flowers on my grandparents' (her mom and dad) graves, along with those of an aunt and cousin. They usually don't last very long. The grounds crew tends to run them over while cutting the grass. One year, they nearly knocked one of the headstones off its perch, and yes, putting that back was a pain. As a result, some families take planters to the extreme--there are several elaborate displays nearby. Some have candles, others have multiple flowering plants, and still others are surrounded by wooden barriers.
      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Sad.

This sort of thing is part of why several graveyards back in NOLA are now closed to the public (vandalism, especially at Marie Laveaux's grave, was another) -- You need to be part of a chaperoned tour group to get in at all. People steal the marble statues (on graves, etc) from them all the time, to the extent that victims will drive around to local marble/grave statuary shops, to see if they can find and re-acquire their stolen statues!
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Definitely check with the staff first, as others have recommended.

My maternal grandparents are buried in a cemetery that is fairly old, and there are many tiny angels marking the graves of small children. Quite a few of those angels are headless and/or wingless because of some asshat who thought wrecking it would be "fun." Perhaps fortunately, those graves are quite old, so it's doubtful the parents are still alive ... can't answer for any siblings, though.

Grandpa, thankfully, chose for their site a slab of marble that would require either a sledgehammer and a LOT of time to do any noticeable damage, or a jackhammer, which isn't exactly something you can use with any stealth or on the run.
          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Stealing from the dead - an almost guaranteed way to f*ck up your karma, but good.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
              You may want to check with the caretakers. They may have removed it. Some grave yards have strick rules on what can and can not be displayed. Lighting tends to be one of the things that is frowned upon.
              Quoth protege View Post
              They might have taken it up, because it got in the way....or maybe they ran over it with a lawnmower. .
              This graveyard does not seem to have rules against light up stuff as I have seen other graves nearby with similar light up devices.

as for running it over with a lawnmower that is very unlikely because 2 other things would have been mowed down at the same time. one is a fake set of flowers and the other is a medium sized stone vase. The light up angel was in between the two and neither one was moved.

As for the maintenance people coming along that only happens twice a year --- in late October and in late April. This covers all the major decorating holidays in 2 parts so stuff can stay around for a while. The graveyard does announce cleanups at least 2 to 3 week ahead of time before coming through.
              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
              X