This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want electronics

Oh really, what kind, I mean our entire freaking store is electronics.

"The electrical kind!" is not a good answer. I am running a register and I am transferring your call to who you want so just answer my freaking question.

I also don't need to hear your entire life story. I need what you purchased and a concise description of what you want. Something like this...

Hi I purchased a laptop from you in November and it's not working, I have the extended care plan, what should I do?

not this....

Hi....hello....yes I purchased a computer from you, in november I think, well it was during your back to school sale and I think it was November, it might have been october though, well it was certainly before christmas and well it keeps doing funny things so I think there might be something wrong with it. I didn't buy your extended warrentee but I don't think I should have to go to the manufacturer sooooooo what should I do because the kid next door said it has malware on it, I think that's a program? and my husband is mad because it won't work and I need it fixed today even though its already 4pm and you close at 6pm, so what's wrong with it?

Also - I don't control the xbox 360 games we stock, being told you are going to SUE my store because we don't have any baseball is going to make me go to SOP and tell you to leave and contact head office.

I don't get paid enough to listen to what your cousin's next door neighbours sons uncles dog said about our your purchase from 2 years ago. Tell me what the problem is and I will get you help.
    I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

A taser has electronics in it...

... and will give you lots of electrons ...
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

People are really dumb. The way I see it is, these people get lazy and don't want to think or put any effort into things because "the sales people will know, they know their stuff, what they're doing, they'll help me"! But, in the next breath it's all, "You're just a cashier, get a proper job, you don't know anything, I'm better than you, blah blah blah."

I don't get it. Either we're supposed to be very good at our jobs and are expected to know everything or we're just 'lowly' sales people on minimum wage who don't know anything...

And loling to the moon and back for the customer trying to sue over you not stocking a baseball game... LOL.

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
        Hi....hello....yes I purchased a computer from you, in november I think, well it was during your back to school sale and I think it was November, it might have been october though,
        Ugh. GET ON WITH IT!

Quoth dalesys View Post
        A taser has electronics in it...
        o_O Holy CARP! Someone who actually knows how to spell TASER (Thomas A Swift's Electric Rifle)! I've actually given up correcting the guys here at da Paper on that one (they always say TAZER)...in part, because saying someone "got tased" rather than "got tazed" just looks odd. It's just one of those things I've decided to let go, so I pester them about more egregious errors instead.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

God, the number of times I've had that conversation.

My favorite is when people don't know the name of their own equipment. Sure, I get that you're "computer challenged" as you put it... but it's important that you use correct terminology so we're on the same page. When you tell me your "modem" doesn't turn on, I assume you mean the thing that Comcast or Verizon gave you. Then when I realize you mean your computer tower you've now wasted my time and we have to figure out what the real problem is. Your computer is not your monitor, either.

You may be computer challenged but for gods sake at least learn the names of the components of your computer.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            (Thomas A Swift's Electric Rifle)!
            I just learned this recently after challenging it as an acronym in a Scrabble game. Had no idea.

Comment

I'm in the starting stages of making my own computer repair business, and I got to thinking about this: the reason anyone in any business can make money is because everyone's an idiot about something. Harsh, but true. Some people are idiots because they can't tell from trial and error what is safe to download, so they rely on the Geek Squad to remove malware and viruses. Some people don't know what computer (or car) they have because they're either idiots or the manufacturers don't make it easy for the average Joe or Josephine to learn it from a minimal starting level. So, other people make money off of them. Yes, I too am an idiot when it comes to. Medium car repair, gardening, creating 3D objects on a computer, laying carpet, fixing roofs, etc. So yeah I have to pay others to do it because I am in idiot when it comes to those.

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post

Hi....hello....yes I purchased a computer from you, in november I think, well it was during your back to school sale and I think it was November, it might have been october though, well it was certainly before christmas and well it keeps doing funny things so I think there might be something wrong with it. I didn't buy your extended warrentee but I don't think I should have to go to the manufacturer sooooooo what should I do because the kid next door said it has malware on it, I think that's a program? and my husband is mad because it won't work and I need it fixed today even though its already 4pm and you close at 6pm, so what's wrong with it?

Ah, yeah, ID-10-T error, we get that all the time. Just toss the computer out the highest window of your house and the problem will be fixed.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

You want electronics...?

Well, I want caaaaaaaan-dyyyyy!!! (And now that's in YOUR head too!)

You're welcome.
                  - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Dammit.

BRB, bashing my head against a wall until that song is out of my head or I'm dead, whichever comes first.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

No

Quoth emax4 View Post
                      I'm in the starting stages of making my own computer repair business, and I got to thinking about this: the reason anyone in any business can make money is because everyone's an idiot about something.
                      That has nothing to do with it. I worked in a repair center that could do warranty repairs for some manufacturers, others we could fix but would have to charge for the repair.

I have had customers who could not read me the brand name on the front of their equipment.

I have had customers who could not tell even the colour of their machines. (Different colours tell us what year it was made.

I have had customers who did not realize that their printers needed paper to print on.

I have had customers who claim they never saw the BRIGHT FLASHING RED LIGHT on the equipment and the words printed besides that light.

I had customers that the equipment caught fire and they call us FIRST instead of the fire department. Watch some fire-fighting videos, sometimes seconds count!

Worse, I have had people admit the equipment has been acting up for the last 3-6 months, but they could not bother to call for tech support. But now it is time to process the monthly payroll, the year's taxes, the end of year report, the make it or break it report; the equipment has failed under the load and they are telling me that is my fault that the replacement parts will take over 24 hours to get there.

PS. The reason it is more than 24 hours is because they waited to the end of the business day to call the service center.
                      Last edited by earl colby pottinger; 07-31-2014, 11:16 PM.

Comment

AND speaking of malware and viruses removal

Just the basics of safe internet surfing goes WAY over the head of most people which is WHY they have to use the Geek Squad or a local person and pay ALL THAT MONEY for someone who will most likely have to boot and nuke the machine with a low level format and OS reinstall and hear the whaling and nashing of teeth and threat of legal action because the customer lost ALL OF THOSE family pictures, music, movies (G or XXX rated) and have NO backup cause there are more viruses and malware than real programs.
                        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Ahh unspecific customers

This is a story from the Mart of K when I worked as customer greeter (aka doorbitch)

You'll be able to tell who's who.

Elderly couple walk in, only the husband speaks.

"How are you going today?"
                          "Electrical" (joy, as each department in the store has it's own electrical bits and pieces)
                          "What exactly were you looking for?"
                          "ELECTRICAL!"
                          So I directed him to the electrical section, with power cables and lightbulbs.

A minute later he comes back fuming.

"I WAS LOOKING FOR A TV AND YOU SENT ME TO (electrical section)"
                          "Why didn't you say so? Had you told me you were looking for a TV I would have sent you to the right spot, but instead you ignored my question and demanded 'Electrical' so I sent you you to our 'Electrical' department. Had you answered my question in the first place you wouldn't have wasted so much time now. TVs are in 'entertainment department'" and gave directions.

Needless to say I probably shouldn't have said that, but wasn't having a good day, and wasn't going to take the blame for his mistake.

Another, similar moment,

"Where are your TVs?"
                          "In the far left corner in 'entertainment'"
                          "Where's that?"
                          "At the risking of repeating myself, in the far left corner"

I have no idea how I didn't get fired

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                            That has nothing to do with it. I worked in a repair center that could do warranty repairs for some manufacturers, others we could fix but would have to charge for the repair.

I have had customers who ...

I had customers that the equipment caught fire and they call us FIRST instead of the fire department. Watch some fire-fighting videos, sometimes seconds count!

Internet high five!

I've encountered all that and more. My business partner even moreso... he has a day job doing help desk support at a hospital. He's actually had 2 people on different occasions ask where the "Any" key is - AND THEY WEREN'T KIDDING.
                            Last edited by EricKei; 08-02-2014, 01:43 PM. Reason: Just trimmed it a little

Comment

We have people come in and ask if we have a pharmacy. Well, we have pharmacy in our name, sooo....yeah. They also ask where the pharmacy is, which I guess is a slightly better question even though two corners of the store are pretty visible right from the door with takes up a third corner of the store. Just too many stupid people lately so I don't feel like giving them benefit of the doubt today.
                              I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X