This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
    Why not hire someone to stand in the entranceway to keep an eye on the dining area to try and catch Dash & Diners? His salary would probably be paid by the meals that wouldn't be stolen by D&Ders.
    Once saw 5 girls dive off the patio into the lake, swim to their boat and take off without paying their bar tab. You can't stop determined thieves with watchfulness, their shamelessness knows no bounds. That's also why it's almost never the waitstaffs fault that someone dines and dashes.
    Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Quoth NecessaryCatharsis View Post
      Once saw 5 girls dive off the patio into the lake, swim to their boat and take off without paying their bar tab.
      Hope their purses got a good soaking, ruining all of the money and credit cards they were saving.

Comment

Unfortunately magnetic stripe cards are waterproof. I doubt chip and pin ones are though.

Comment

Quoth CoffeeMonkey View Post
          eeeeeexactly. Or the company has a policy, which you agree to follow when hired, that says they will take said money out of your pay.

Or they just take it, and count on the employee not knowing that they can't. How often do you hear of servers having to cover the tab of a dine and dash? sometimes it's a small time gig and the boss doesn't know that they're breaking the law because they're not well enough educated on it themselves, and sometimes they may know full well, but their employees don't.
          It may be company policy but that doesn't mean it's legal and enforceable. No one is taking my pay w/o a fight. The money the business looses from dine and dashers is part of their overhead which they will have to suck up.
          Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth CoffeeMonkey View Post
            eeeeeexactly. Or the company has a policy, which you agree to follow when hired, that says they will take said money out of your pay.

Or they just take it, and count on the employee not knowing that they can't. How often do you hear of servers having to cover the tab of a dine and dash? sometimes it's a small time gig and the boss doesn't know that they're breaking the law because they're not well enough educated on it themselves, and sometimes they may know full well, but their employees don't.
            Quoth Cia View Post
            It may be company policy but that doesn't mean it's legal and enforceable. No one is taking my pay w/o a fight. The money the business looses from dine and dashers is part of their overhead which they will have to suck up.
            I believe that according to the Dept of Labor and the Fair Labor Standards Act IF pay docking is DONE even with the employees consent, the employees wages can NOT fall below the Federal (or maybe State/Local if higher) minimum wage for that pay period.
            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

lonnolan, go back to management and explain what happened, and see if they'll reverse the docked pay. If they aren't helpful, try going to corporate human resources and explain the situation to them.
              Labor boards have info on local laws for free
              HR believes the first person in the door
              Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
              Document everything
              CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

On agreeing to have $ taken out - it varies by state. If it's legal in your state, there may not be much you can do. If it's not, either that part of the contract/agreement or the entire thing is automatically invalid. For everyone.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

It is legal in my state, and this happened over 7 years ago, and the store unfortunately does not even exist anymore, a lot of K-Marts shut down.

Comment

Working...
                  X