This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop telling me what to do with my body

He may have been referring to my face, but still.... So, as some of you know I suffered another concussion via my last car accident a few weeks ago. I've been suffering post-concussive syndrome the last week because I went back to the front end, which exacerbates it because we are doing so much scanning and it is so busy due to Back to School. I've been dizzy and barely able to balance at times, and the excess noise of a hugely busy front end doesn't help. I was considering going on leave of absence. And yet, no customer complaints, even though I've been somewhat subdued.

Well, today is much better. I am still tired and prone to slight headaches, but the dizziness is largely gone. (Thank you to friends who pray for me!) I have been happy today because of that, and much more energetic. And yes, because it's Sunday, there have been moments of irritation at the customers' complaining. But those are momentary; my overall mood has been good and I've had a rewarding day of fixing things for appreciative customers. I have smiled today at times--that's new as of late.

So at one point it had slowed down and I was clearing the front end of errant carts. I was facing the mall door and a man came up from behind and to my right and said "Hey!," which of course startled me. I was engrossed in trying to hear what Service Desk Girl was saying about a problem; I'm nosy, I admit. So I was lost in thought over that, and this guy who wasn't even looking at my face then said "Don't worry; it will be all right." Um, what will be alright? What are you assuming? I haven't had any prior interaction with you. ?? So I simply answered, "Okaay" because..what else do you say to that? Then he did it: he told me to smile, he who had been looking at the back of my head just a few seconds ago. And of course he hurried off so that I couldn't respond. I know some people will say "He was just trying to brighten your day," but doing that as a drive-by says condescension to me, not to mention that women just do not do this to me, a female. It's always men. Sexism, I think. Why do people insist on telling service people how to feel?

ETA: So there was a complaint on the surveys that one of the cashiers was rude sometime after 7:00pm. Now, there were only a couple of us. Friday was BAD for me; it was so busy and I was so dizzy and uncoordinated. I wanted to go home, but they'd already said no to someone else because we were short-staffed. I was just not going to ask, so I did the best I could with a brain injury. I just *know* the comment was about me because some people were looking at me weird. I was not the bubbly person I usually am at work, but I was not rude to anyone, just subdued. It was all I could do to stand up straight and scan massive amounts of school supplies. I just couldn't process that and whatever mundane conversation I was supposed to be having with customers. I should've called in, but that's just not an option because of staffing and my need for money.
    Last edited by Food Lady; 08-11-2014, 11:55 PM.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

I used to get that all the time when I was a cashier at Wal-Mart. People coming up to the register & then getting upset cause I wasn't looking happy enough to suit them. Don't those idiots know that we're people & NOT robots?? We don't live in the damn store & they don't program us to do your bidding!!
    What difference does it make if we're smiling or not? So many times I wanted to say..."just pay for your crap & get the fuck out!!
    Treating service people with disrespect & treating them like they're next to nothing doesn't help anybody. The general public has no idea what it takes to do that kind of job. Cashiering involves a lot more than just ringing people out. That's the easy part!! The hard part is dealing with people who figure that if they're having a bad day then they'll take it on you & woe to you if you try to defend yourself BUT you can't cause the asshole managers tell you "Don't take it personal". How else are you supposed to take that then??

Comment

OH YEAH!! I had two in two days.
      SC #1 says "next time put a smile on your face." Ummm....FUCK YOU
      SC #2 wants to know why I'm "not having an enthusiastic day." WTF?!?! Then she proceeds to preach to me that "The Lord gave us this day. You should be happy and grateful to the Lord." With all due respect, I'm not religious. Don't preach to me. Thank you.
      Here Mr Customer, let me pull that out of my arse for you!

Comment

People just need to fuck off. You don't know me. You don't know why I'm upset or for that matter even if I am actually upset. They just see us having a shit job and not smiling and that somehow makes them experts on our lives. Just shut the fuck up and mind your own business asshole.
        D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
        Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Yelling at someone for not smiling is not going to make them want to smile........
          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
            Yelling at someone for not smiling is not going to make them want to smile........
            Obviously...to people like us.

To the SC...well, I don't even know if I want to go there.
            Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

This kind of thing always makes me so frustrated. People who really care about how you're doing don't try to force you to smile or cheer up, because they're more interested in knowing if you're okay and empathizing with you. It's the people (and yeah, almost always guys) who don't really care that tell you to smile, and I always felt like they were more concerned about not having to look at my sad pathetic face than they were about whether I was really okay.

I always try to be cheerful and upbeat with the public at work, but really, I'm paid for my time, expertise, and professionalism. Not for my facial expression. As long as it's not insulting or unprofessional, it shouldn't be anyone's business if I'm serious instead of bouncy.

Comment

Quoth JustShootMe View Post
                SC #2 wants to know why I'm "not having an enthusiastic day." WTF?!?! Then she proceeds to preach to me that "The Lord gave us this day. You should be happy and grateful to the Lord."
                I am religious, and I would not say this to someone. Also, I wish I could tell her that being grateful does not mean eterna-smile. Emotions and gratitude are two separate entities. I'm grateful for all I have, but at this point right now I'm in physical pain and am not smiling. Imagine that!

Comment

I hate people who tell other people to smile. If someone said that to me I'd just give them a dirty look.

One thing bothers me, Food Lady. I'm not sure where you live, but where I live it is simply not legal for the boss to try to keep you there if you want to leave. The only real question is how much you get paid (full day or not, sick time or not, etc.). We are also very short staffed, but when I had a bad day a week ago I called in. I know my limits. I don't like doing that to my co-workers, but nobody else is going to look out for my health, so I have to.

Of course it's easy for me to say that because I have paid sick time. So I hope you're feeling better now!
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I am feeling better. Well, the dizziness is much diminished. Headaches are to be expected, but they are mild. My motor skills are fine now. I was considering leave of absence, but I don't think I need to do it now. So, I was looking at this article http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...029#f10e0ef48c and soooo many people don't get how ordering someone to smile is harassment. One guy argued with me, saying that my medical issues were no reason not to be happy all the time. He also wrongly assumed I was talking about depression and then stated that chronic depression simply doesn't exist. In a response to someone else he in one breath told her that psychiatry and psychology are bunk but that she needs mental help. Who's she supposed to get it from, then? I'm glad he lives in San Francisco and not here, so he cannot be my customer.

Comment

Chronic depression doesn't exist? What an idiot. Tell that to my friend who committed suicide last month. Tell that to Robin Williams.

Glad you're feeling better, Food Lady.
                      Here Mr Customer, let me pull that out of my arse for you!

Comment

Chronic depression doesn't exist? What an idiot. Tell that to my friend who committed suicide last month. Tell that to Robin Williams.

That's odd. My hospital discharge papers from yesterday say that very phrase. I'm sorry about your friend, JustShootMe.

Comment

I ripped into a guy on alternet one day who was humble bragging about how he chats with service people and makes them feel better.

I got a lot of up votes. He did not.
                          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                          HR believes the first person in the door
                          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                          Document everything
                          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I posted on that page that the people who don't see anything wrong with ordering people to smile should find RW's family and try that on them, and see what happens.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                              He also wrongly assumed I was talking about depression and then stated that chronic depression simply doesn't exist. In a response to someone else he in one breath told her that psychiatry and psychology are bunk but that she needs mental help.
                              Saying that psychiatry and psychology are bunk? Sounds like his version of "needs mental help" involves an E-meter. I'm sure a lot of people whose clinical depression has been successfully treated by those he feels are bunk would like to see him audited under a particular protocol.
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X