Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh, kiddo... (not for the squeamish, pic included)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, kiddo... (not for the squeamish, pic included)

Last Friday, we ended up in the hospital with Little Ara because we happened to notice blood in her diaper and she was complaining about pain (nothing else was open at the time otherwise we would have gone to an urgent care facility). Understandably scared, we come away with a bottle of antibiotics and a diagnosis of a UTI. We feel bad for her so we let her sleep in our bed for the night, however, halfway through the night she falls off the bed and busts her lip open on our bedside table. Nothing serious, just a fat lip and a bit of blood, but she was already having such a rough night.

Well, today, almost exactly a week later down to the minute, she was running through my grandparents' house playing chase, tripped, and gashed her head open on their glass-topped coffee table. Fortunately Hubs and I were there, but it was clear she was going to need stitches so we ended up at the hospital again. They superglued her back together and told us to give her some Motrin or Tylenol for the pain, so now she's asleep in our bed again and we have to wake her up every few hours to make sure she doesn't have a concussion or anything.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1028161850.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	2033688

If you can't tell, the top part is the gash, the bottom spot is just where she wouldn't let us wash the dried blood off, and she was having a bad time already so we weren't about to fight her over it.
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

I feel your pain, I was born with almost-clubfoot and wore braces to bed to tweak my ligaments and tendons, so I was pretty klutzy and was always tripping [I fell upstairs, down stairs and could trip over the pattern on a rug *sigh*] and most of my youth I had bruises and scrapes pretty much constantly. I know my parents never got in trouble over being thought of beating me because at school I was always bunging myself up on the playground so it was very obvious I was a klutz.
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Another near-heart attack today. Little Ara was walking through my in-laws' yard, tripped, and nearly reopened her head wound on the walkway between the driveway and the house. She did have a scraped knee but I'm used to those and all it took was a rinse and a couple kisses.

My mom told me that at least between me and my sisters we all took turns, so none of us got too seriously hurt at once, but this child is going to be the death of me.
      The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

Comment

That is really close to being the exact opposite side of my face that I split me head open when I was just over a year old. Hit my head on the fireplace.

From what my mom told me, there was blood everywhere. Lots of blood vessels on that area. How bad did it look to you?

Hugs for Ara.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I know head wounds tend to bleed a lot but Little Ara's wound was really deep, I'm actually surprised we couldn't see bone. My grandfather's white shirt was completely soaked, but he's a former paramedic so he was the one holding her trying to put pressure on it. There was also quite a bit of blood on two washcloths and in the picture you can see it splattered on her shirt. There was some on her skirt as well, and it was caked in the creases of her neck and all over her arms. We got all of it cleaned up except the mess above her eyebrow, which she won't let us touch, but we're not going to fight her over it. We're supposed to keep it dry because of the superglue anyway.

Comment

Kids can really provide you with excitement. Probably more than you ever wanted.

Many, MANY years ago, my younger sister was running through Grandma's house when she collided with the basement door. They rushed her to ER and were told she seemed OK (Mom's side of the family is noted for having hard heads ... ) but keep an eye on her and if she gets drowsy, come back right away. The usual stuff.

No signs of concussion ever developed. However, she did end up with a huge lump on her forehead and two black eyes.

At the time, Mom worked as a cashier in a supermarket. Several days later, she took Little Sis with her to buy groceries. Cashier said to Little Sis, "My goodness, what happened to YOU?" although by then all Mom's coworkers had heard the story.

Little Sis: "I ran into a door!"

Cashier: "Nah, your mom did that, didn't she?"

Little Sis: "YEAH!!" *big grin*

Mom: "Thanks a lot!"

The real fun started shortly thereafter because of course total strangers would come up and say, "My goodness, what happened to YOU?"

And of course Little Sis would reply ... yep ... "My mommy did it!" *BIG grin*

For some reason, the strangers were not amused.

My frazzled mother finally announced she was not going to be seen in public with Little Sis until L.S.'s face healed.
            Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Is Little Ara usually clumsy? You might have them check for an ear infection. Our toddler (Sunshine) always starts to stumble and fall down before he shows any other symptoms.

Or it could just be a crazy kiddo. Sunshine is also one of those. I was a SAHM for a while when work got slow. The 3rd day I was home, he tripped over his own feet and fell into a door frame, splitting the skin on his forehead open. Thankfully not bad enough to need stitches. But he's had that, bloody lips, scrapped elbows and knees. This weekend he fell about 5 ft off of an elevated deck.

Comment

From what I gather, she'd left some coloring pages on the floor, stepped on one of those while running, and it slid her feet out from under her. The table just happened to be in the way. I didn't actually get to see it happen though, as I was answering mother nature's call at the time, so this is secondhand from my husband. She's not clumsy or anything, just too energetic to watch where she's going (AKA a normal toddler).

Comment

Working...
                X