Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sound familiar to anyone in health care?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound familiar to anyone in health care?

Had to go to the emergency ward to get patched up (tripped on uneven concrete - that stuff is hard AND rough). On my way out, was confronted by a guy with a crazy story about security beating him up for no reason, and wanting to buy some of my pain pills (VERY visible injury to my chin, but when you describe your pain as "2 to 3" on the 10 point scale, you DON'T get a prescription for pain pills). Turned him down, he approached someone in a car to talk to them (presumably the same story).

Went back, approached the first staffer I saw who didn't have a line of people in front of them (happened to be a security person - they'd be the group the matter would be referred to anyway, so better to tell them than a medical person). Described the guy, and which entrance he was outside.

Anyone in health care have drug seekers trying to get pain pills from your patients after they fail to get a prescription?
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

I'm not in healthcare, but I've still seen this sort of thing go on as I live in the neighbourhood of a hospital and a medical clinic. I know at the clinic they have a lot of drug seekers trying to get a prescription for whatever, and I assisted in handling one woman who lost her mind after being told no at the clinic (I was there as a patient after work so I was in my security uniform).

Drug seekers will try anything they can to get their hands on their next fix, and I'm sure most health care workers can generally tell who's tweeking or sparkling and in need of yet another dose to keep them going.

Comment

I took my husband in for a serious infection and a lady was livid because they wouldn't give her a new prescription for pain pills because she "left the last on in the Uber that brought her there." she did not want to see a doctor or any thing just give her the prescription. Then she started asking everyone in the lobby to ask for pain pills for her. It was really sad that addiction had worn away all her common sense. no one was buying her story. The hospital offered to help her get help for her addiction but she just left.

Comment

I got yelled at when I turned down a pain pill prescription and just asked for some prescription strength ibuprofen Guy in the waiting room was like "you you could sell that shit if you did not want it"

Comment

I had a co-worker offer to pay my leftover pain pills when I mentioned that I did not use all of them after having my gallbladder surgery.

I kinda went and said "Uhh...that's illegal."

She backed off right away, said she used them for back pain (I happen to know this part was legit) and she just wanted some extras so she didn't have to renew her script too soon.

I still didn't sell them to her.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I've worked in Towing, Retail, Law Enforcement, Food Service and Pharmacy

Guess which one involved the most face-to-face chats with the Attorney General's Office?

It wasn't when I worked for the cops.....
            - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

After my first C-section, I went home with prescription pain pills. Didn't end up needing them.

When Mom found out I had them she asked me to give them to her. I told her no, and that it was illegal. She then said she'd buy them from me. I told her that was more illegal and hung up.

She tried again when I had my son. Still didn't work.
              https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

I get that all the damned time, I take opioids for pain and get them 360/90 days and I rarely actually manage to go through all of them [I tend to only do my first thing in the morning and last thing at night, and use either a topical NSAID or oral NSAID during the day] though I take my bottle with me when I visit my doc [pain control contract, he does understand I don't actually take all my meds and only refill when I am down to my last 30 or so pills] I am one of a circle of his pain contract patients and almost always get approached in the parking lot. I know for a fact I have been approached by a DEA or some other police type [usually addicts dressed in ultra low end clothes don't have nice manicures with squeeky clean crevices under their fingernails and no actual sweat/body odor cloud like the ones that normally approach me.]

Hells bells, I don't even pass the pills on to my husband, he has his own prescriptions... why would I deal wit a total stranger?!
                EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Yeah, that's a nasty mess just waiting to explode on someone.

Comment

Both of our local hospitals will happily oblige if you request no opiates. They know what they can give you that is similar to opiates but not.

Comment

I've never worked in the medical field and drug-seeking behavior isn't something I'm very familiar with. Which is why some years ago, when talking with someone who worked admitting at an emergency room, I thought she would describe the most challenging part of her job as dealing with patients with all sorts of horrific injuries. Nope, it was dealing with drug seekers.
                      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

In the land of "we don't need no stinkin' daylight saving time", getting a medical marijuana card is basically a matter of paying $350 and doing some paperwork.

This magical card not only allows one to legally purchase and/or grow up to a certain amount (don't know the numbers off the top of my head) for private use.

It is also a ticket to dispensaries. These are wonderous places that sell amazing products, all of which are a felony to possess if you don't happen to have that magical card.

Due to the fact that most people drive to the dispensaries, the ones here have parking lots.

Besides painted lines and a couple of planters, would anyone like to guess what else is in the parking lots?

Comment

Empty Twinkie wrappers?
                          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
                          X