This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Bumbershoot View Post
    I wish customers would tell what the produce was more often.
    I had a brain fart the other day while shopping with my mom. She wanted some roasted almonds from the bulk section. There were no pens to write the tag number on, so I used my phone and took a photo. Completely forgot about that until the end of the transaction when the cashier was trying to work out what was in the bag... Took me a minute to bring up the photo, but at least it finally came up and he was able to punch it in.

I made sure there was a pen available the next time we did that.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Havering View Post
      that would drive me nuts--"Roma tomatoes! Because you obviously wouldn't know what they are!" complete with smirk would drive me bonkers. I would never do that with something "normal" and only started with the number recital after having numerous poor clerks flipping through the Massive Book o' Codes--"Lettuce? Cabbage? Arrrgh!" and for my own convenience when I do self-checkout.
      Or when they get a bag of bulk and instead of writing the number on the tag they inform you that it's 1.99/kg or whatever the price is... Bonus if they can't tell you what kinda bulk it is. My favourite is the "It's the nut mix!" Which nut mix? We have about 20 of them! "You know the nut mix! The one @ *insert price per kg here*" I can't look up by price and I don't keep track of the 5-7 digit bulk codes because we have about three pages of them and they change every week according to sales. (Are code is so old we have to create a new plu code if we want an item at a different price instead of being able to just edit the price like a normal store) I am overjoyed when a customer knows the plu for something. Specially in bakery because the code book is missing half of bakery items. It can be annoying when someone tells me the code for bananas (4011 currently) because it's so common that it's literally the first code anyone memorizes. I've got a few tricks for certain codes.
      Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
        ...We are just retail slaves/robots who live by eating vending machine food after hours and then sleeping on the floor in the mythical back room so we can be magically called to back to work when the lines are backed up, the restrooms need to be cleaned after their kids tried to flush a roll of toilet paper down the toilet...
        What is it about people trying to flush everything? Those paper seat covers? I read a study that showed they are useless at protecting your backside from any germs on the seat because paper is porous I guess some people read that study and decided that one won't work, so let's use them ALL and they dump the entire package into the toilet.

Quoth AkaiKitsune View Post
        ... It can be annoying when someone tells me the code for bananas (4011 currently) because it's so common that it's literally the first code anyone memorizes. I've got a few tricks for certain codes.
        I know that plu....

Comment

Normally,the fact you're stopping and asking am I an SC? immediately propels you above the great unwashed mass who don't even let such a thing go by them at all.

And what's a cilantro?
          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
            And what's a cilantro?
            cilantro is coriander. It's one of those herbs you love or hate

Comment

Ah another of those things you have funny names for like rocket is aragoolies or something
              The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

SC? No, not really, though I get the feeling the snippy clerk would think otherwise. Clearly she thought you were smugly trying to tell her how to do her job. You weren't, of course, but perception is reality, and that was clearly her perception.

The way I avoid that kind of reaction is that I wait until they look at me confused or perplexed, and then I smile and tell them, "Serranos" or "uniq fruit" or whatever oddball produce I have at that moment. Often they will even ask me, "Uh, what is this?"

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth dawnfire View Post
                  cilantro is coriander. It's one of those herbs you love or hate
                  Technically cilantro is what you get when you plant coriander. IOW cilantro seeds are coriander (and yet they taste vastly different). Cilantro can be easily confused for flat-leaf parsley except for the lemony flavor.
                  Quoth Jester View Post
                  The way I avoid that kind of reaction is that I wait until they look at me confused or perplexed, and then I smile and tell them, "Serranos" or "uniq fruit" or whatever oddball produce I have at that moment. Often they will even ask me, "Uh, what is this?"
                  I get that reaction every other time I buy fresh ginger.

Getting back to the OP, no you weren't an SC.
                  I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                  -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                    Technically cilantro is what you get when you plant coriander. IOW cilantro seeds are coriander (and yet they taste vastly different). Cilantro can be easily confused for flat-leaf parsley except for the lemony flavor.
                    What world do you live in that cilantro tastes lemony? To me it tastes of soap (and I know what soap tastes like, since I make it!). Or were you talking about the parsley tasting lemony?
                    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Totally agreeing that cilantro tastes like soap. Just a couple of leaves is enough to make the best pico de galo uneatable for me.

I have read that people do have different sensory buds in their mouths. Personally, I loves me some chopped up cucumbers, but many people think that they are bitter.

About 10 percent of cats aren't interested in catnip. Some dogs don't like carrots. I think that raw carrots are great, cooked carrots just get shoved to the side of my plate.

From what I know, fresh ginger root is only used when cooking a WHOLE lot of food, or for something else that shouldn't be talked about around children. If I was a cashier in a store that sold ginger root, I would certainly wonder what the customer was going to use it for. I would NOT ask, though.
                      Last edited by Slave to the Phone; 08-06-2017, 11:07 PM. Reason: to make a joke about the other use for ginger

Comment

Fresh ginger root is awesome. It goes in small- to medium-sized amounts in all sorts of delicious sauces, and in medium to large amounts in a number of Asian dishes.
                        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Or crystallized with sugar in my mouth! And chopped fine into gingersnaps. Ginger IS awesome!

Comment

Quoth Minflick View Post
                            And chopped fine into gingersnaps.
                            And now you have me craving gingersnaps with none in the house.
                            "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Now I want some sour beef and dumplings with gingersnap gravy. And nobody around here serves it. (It's also more of a winter dish.)
                              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                              X