Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the Sucky Customer parade (yes the caps are necessary)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the Sucky Customer parade (yes the caps are necessary)

Literally every single customer that came through my till today except 9 people (yes I counted) was a SC. It got so bad that my supervisor pulled me off till out of pity. From 1930hrs to 2130hrs then break and from 2300hrs-0000hrs nothing but assholes.

Some of the highlights

Being yelled at for not being able to give $1200 cash back... At a grocery store... Within 5 min walk of 6 different banks.

Being yelled at for not having the right bills that they wanted for cash back. Even though I had warned him previous I may not have the bills he wanted because A)not a fucking bank asshole and B)my supervisor had just taken the till a half he before I even got on. But apparently because I don't have $100 in 5s then I'm 'a horrible person' and 'aren't I useful?' (Use your imagination for the snarky ass/rude tone)

Being told I'm cruel to animals because I wouldn't let someone walk their dog in the grocery store (ya know, the one with FOOD where it would be a HEALTH RISK to have a furry creature inside that isn't a service dog)... Because 'don't I know he gets lonely?'

Being bitched at for not letting someone put their cat on the fucking conveyor belt. (It was on a leash but still, HEALTH LAWS) not to mention it's a grocery store, not PetSmart.

Being told I'm a 'terrible human being' for 'charging people for the store to advertise on our paper bags'. Never mind we're the last store to charge and its 5 freaking cents. Bring your own damn bag and get a discount instead next time. Oh and that's company policy NOT MY IDEA and NOT MY RULES. I just in force them because it's my damn job.

Telling someone they can't be parked in the handicap spot if they're not handicapped (they have a sign they hang off the rear view or put literally anywhere on or visible in their car if they ARE handicapped so people know they are allowed to park there. It must be displayed, it's the law.)

Some dick actually through a punch at me today... All because I saw him hit another car that was parked when he was driving off. He got out and checked, shrugged his shoulders and was going to get in his truck when i stepped out in my please-don't-run-me-over vest to take note of the plate (as I am required by law to do). It's just poor luck for him that he tossed a punch at someone who grew up in a military family on a military base learning military stuff including the Aikido (1st Dan Black before I quit. Not really my style), JuJutsu (3rd Dan black, that was really fun ), and the mixed stuff they teach to actual military personnel. And despite not having done any of those since before high school and only occasionally practicing either running through shit or friendly spars with friends (usually buzzed on liquid fun) I still reflexively counterattack. In this case I fell to my usual Munetsuki Kotegaeshi as it was pretty much my favourite move in Aikido. (It also means I can control the speed and direction of my opponents fall without throwing a punch or leaving a mark which is one of the things which make it my go to (not to mention easy to execute and easy to set up for if you fail the first time). He ended up eating (gently so) the pavement while I sent some little old lady for backup from customer service (no the irony of that name isn't lost on me). Douche got a cop car ride home (no I didn't press charges, I was more amused I still remember this shit then anything else).

I had an adult customer drop trouser in front of me and if that wasn't creepy enough started choking the chicken. (He had been hitting on me and I was ignoring him. Before he dropped pants and asked me if I was still going to ignore him. I think he was high...)

I had another person complain I 'wasn't smiling enough' and then when I did break into my customer service smile I was 'trying to hard'. I mentally told her her to take a chill pill.

I had someone call me a bitch because they were short a few dollars and I didn't offer to pay it for her.

I had someone call me lazy for calling for a supervisor override because we both had the key but the thing is I'm not allowed to do it on my own transactions.

I had a lady smack my hand away when I went to lift a really heavy item into her cart after scanning it because I'm not a dick to make an old lady lift something that I as a healthy in prime of my life adult (not to mention years of lifting hay bales) was having trouble with.

I had one little old lady (imagine female Yoda...but not as green) come in and ask for 10 bags of soil, denied help lifting it into her car because 'she's not that old yet'. She looked shifty so I phoned up floral and asked them to keep an eye on her. Turns out that she didn't want help because she had a daughter... And a car with one of those trunks where you can lift up the bottom and have more space. Floral watched her fill up the bottom with over the 10 bags she paid for, then but the divider thingy between the regular trunk and extra trunk space down, before putting exactly 10 in her trunk. The Floral asked for a receipt (which is within her rights) and when it said only 10, Floral asked if she would like to pay for the other soil she had stuffed in the extra portion of her trunk now. The old bat and her daughter came marching back in and interrupted my order and went on about how I ordered Floral to spy on her and that's unconstitutional (I'm in Canada btw) and how I'm gonna regret it. (Meanwhile Floral informed Customer Service of the situation) So when she went to Customer Service to complain all my supervisor did was listen with a smile and asked how she would like to pay for the extra soil not covered by her previous purchase. (Gods I love that woman. Best sup ever).

I had someone bitch me out for not asking for her rewards card when I had only scanned one item of 100 she had on the belt. (But because it wasn't the first thing out of my mouth I must be a terrible person.)

I had someone inform me that I should 'look for another job because clearly customer service wasn't for me'... (It's not, working till has made it perfectly clear ppl are horrible and I never want to deal with this speices again if I can help it) On the grounds that I 'looked like I was forcing it, dear.' (No comment ��)

I had someone complain that I was too short to do this job.

I had someone complain 'because I was clearly making fun of her' when all I did was detach the card reader from its stand so the person in the really low to the ground wheelchair could reach it. (The wheelchair lady even thanked me for it and it wasn't even her that complained. Her complaint was that I was too slow... With her $630 something order... When I had to type in most of it because I swear she bought ever fruit and veggie in the building and had to bag... While her husband? Just stood there looking constipated.)

I had one lady who refused to put her items on the belt lest it got sucked up at the end of it... All her items were big... You couldn't shove them down there if you tried.

I had one lady loose her credit card in the section that the belt rotates OUT of... Just to be clear it wasn't the part at the end where the groceries end up (THAT would at least be understandable.) we had to take the whole damn thing apart to get her card back.

A SC refused to move his shit to the till we had just opened to deal with customers in the meanwhile. Then complained about how long it took.

The customers who were transferred over from my line made the other cashier cry...

Which was about the time I demanded my break before I killed someone over their bitchiness. (Yes I used those words and no I don't care anymore.) The cashier that took over for me (different from the one who opened to deal with my previous line up while I went on break ended up leaving to go home because the customers had made her burst into hysterical tears.

I wasn't even safe being pulled from till, read parking lot incident above.

Nobody would take over for me after the second person was reduced to tears.

I eventually hit that level of just not caring anymore and started talking to myself in other languages (and I mean swearing in some of the more obscure languages I know... Old Norse anyone? How about ancient Chinese regional dialects? Japanese that could be passed off as misheard wrong or happens to have a polite and rude meaning depending on pronounciation)

Although... I did have a nice conversation about The Art of War (Sun Tzu) and Machiavelli's works including The Prince. I traded emails with him... Intelligent individual. So it wasn't all bad. Pity he was a retiree...

Got bitched out by the new supervisor because I told a customer that if she was still waiting for her cab after I got off work that I could give her a ride (she lives near me, I see her walking her dog all the time.) I told my sup that I had a problem with leaving 90 year old ladies improperly dressed for the weather, out in the cold at 0030hrs in a dark parking lot. Reminded her that once I was off work that the company cannot tell what to do on my own time and I knew her because she lived nearby. (I may have also implied that the news would no doubt love to get their hands on a 'GROCERY STORE leaves little old lady in parking lot. Employee that offered a ride after her shift ended threatened with job' story.) I also know that are store manager encourages that kind of behaviour. I also let her wait inside on the bench (even though we were closed) because it was fucking freezing out and she was dressed up for summer. Obviously she hadn't expected to be out so late.

Debated burning the store down but remembered orange wasn't really my colour.

Got bitched for 'being cruel to animals because I horseback ride'. I have an equestrian pin on my apron.

I wonder if there was a SC convention in town today or something.

On the bright side, I got 6 of my absolute fav regular customers all in a row and when they saw how one customer treated me (though I got to give him points on his imagination, I'm not sure some of what he suggested I do is even physically possible. All because I had to pop the till open a second time since someone had mixed a nickel with the quarters and I needed to give him the right change. God forbid I actually do my job. There's a reason I count before handing it to the customer.) they all banded together to make me smile. One of them even offered me homebaked cookies ('because I know how much you love your sweets'. Even my customers know I'm a chocolate addict. Wonder if there's meetings for that kinda thing.) which I totally took. And another made me come around the till for a hug (little old lady... Think stereotype sweet old grandma and ya got it). Which turned into a group hug with half the staff and the non dickish customers in the store that day. Like big fucking ball of people in front of that space between tills and the windows. Another shared some funny stories about her horses antics. (Probably cuz of my Equestrian button on my apron). Another offered me the extra hot chocolate in his hand (which at this point I honestly wasn't able to turn down any kindness. Besides, I see him all the time as he works at the Starbucks in the same plaza. He knows I hate coffee. Not sure why he had a spare hot chocolate but not asking questions here.) I ended up in tears because it had just been one of those days ya know... And then when someone does go out of their way to make your day better. The kids after my regulars insisted on showing me their magic tricks (which were the kind that actually make you ponder how the hell they did that.) And taught me how... Which after them I had break so I immediately went over to CS desk and showed them the magic tricks that I could do with the material on hand because I'm childish like that.

Though the assholes continued after break... I ended up indulging in Timmies (after I dropped off little old lady). Bought a Timmy Card and gave it to the cashier to use for any first responders who came in that night because I needed to end the night on a good note and because a bunch of mostly strangers had tried their damnist to cheer me up (without even knowing that had been par for the course today) and I needed to pay it forward.
    Last edited by AkaiKitsune; 07-26-2017, 01:26 PM.
    Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Quoth AkaiKitsune View Post
    Being told I'm cruel to animals because I wouldn't let someone walk their dog in the grocery store (ya know, the one with FOOD where it would be a HEALTH RISK to have a furry creature inside that isn't a service dog)... Because 'don't I know he gets lonely?'
    Been wondering about that lately. I've seen plenty of people with their dogs in the grocery store, and no one bats an eye or says anything. Of course, this is Key West, soooo.....

I had an adult customer drop trouser in front of me and if that wasn't creepy enough started choking the chicken. (He had been hitting on me and I was ignoring him. Before he dropped pants and asked me if I was still going to ignore him. I think he was high...)
    Who says chivalry and romance are dead?

I had someone call me a bitch because they were short a few dollars and I didn't offer to pay it for her.
    But don't you know? It's our responsibility to spot them extra money because (1) it's our job, (2) they forgot to bring enough money, and (C) they want us to.

I had one little old lady (imagine female Yoda...but not as green)
    GRANDMA!!!

I had someone complain that I was too short to do this job.
    I say this about myself at my job every day.

I had one lady who refused to put her items on the belt lest it got sucked up at the end of it... All her items were big... You couldn't shove them down there if you tried.
    Well, you can't be too careful with those watermelons and pineapples!

He knows I hate coffee.
    Another non-coffee drinker. Hooray!

The kids after my regulars insisted on showing me their magic tricks (which were the kind that actually make you ponder how the hell they did that.)
    Yay, magic! Professional magician since '98 here!!!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants
      Wow. You are a far better human being than I am! I would either have been looking around for improvised weaponry after about the third SC, or curled up in a ball on the floor. Even odds on which.
      No kidding, especially after that horrible bunch. Did they all have a big bowl of Sucky Charms and a glass of Carnation Instant Bitch for breakfast?!
      I had someone inform me that I should 'look for another job because clearly customer service wasn't for me'... (It's not, working till has made it perfectly clear ppl are horrible and I never want to deal with this species again if I can help it) On the grounds that I 'looked like I was forcing it, dear.' (No comment ��)
      "Well, yes, I am forcing it. If you had to deal with the jerks I deal with all day long, you'd be forcing it too."

Every so often, I consider going back to the Fabric Store. I miss my coworkers (they were a really nice bunch) and I rather liked stocking. But when that feeling comes upon me, all I have to do is come to this site and read the stories, and I'm reminded of why I left in the first place and swore I'd never return to corporate retail.
      The kids after my regulars insisted on showing me their magic tricks (which were the kind that actually make you ponder how the hell they did that.) And taught me how... Which after them I had break so I immediately went over to CS desk and showed them the magic tricks that I could do with the material on hand because I'm childish like that.
      Nothing childish about it. Those kids were a nice bright spot in your awful day and you wanted to share the happiness with your coworkers.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Bought a Timmy Card and gave it to the cashier to use for any first responders who came in that night because I needed to end the night on a good note and because a bunch of mostly strangers had tried their damnist to cheer me up (without even knowing that had been par for the course today) and I needed to pay it forward.
        After all the shit you went through (really, did they put something in the water that day?), reading that made me cry. I would have quit after the first hour of that crap.
        there's some people with issues that medication, therapy or a baseball bat just can't cure

Comment

We've had to delete some posts regarding *ahem* personal defense devices that go ZAP in the night. Kindly knock it off right now, along with anything else that so much as suggests the use of violence/weapons against customers (no matter how sucky) in any way.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled thread, already in progress.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Oh goodness. I'd come to your store with a hug if I were nearby (or a cookie, or something nice).

*offers many hugs* <3
            1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
            -----
            http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

OF COURSE you were "forcing it"! You'd HAVE TO with all that crap going on. I've gotten the same sentiments from sucktomers and wanted to say that to them but I needed to keep my job.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Yep. If half of what crossed my mind talking to SC was actually said out loud I would be out of a job soooo fast.

Also, think I'm this. Those were the hightlights not the entire list.
                Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

Really...? REALLY?!?

Had to delete yet another post for exactly the reason I mentioned above. Thread closed. Can't say it was without warning.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                  X