This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this happen to anyone else?

Getting hangry or hungry just when you arrive to work but you've already eaten?
    This happens to me. I eat a light breakfast, just a plain sandwich or 2 fruits. Any more and my butt will be singing the blues if you get my drift. I get to my car, feeling fine...park at my workplace, still feeling ok... Clock in, start my shift. Do a little work, and them bam! Five minutes in and my stomach begins rumbling! Wtf. I just fed you, belly. The growling doesn't stop and I feel more and more hungry as work goes on, and a bit cranky. When lunch rolls around, I feel like I haven't eaten in forever and inhale it down like a starving child! At first I thought it was because my job is more physical now, since I'm actually working inside of just standing or sitting. But I remember it happened then too. Does anyone feel exactly like this or is it just me ? I asked around and everyone else said sort of not quite.
    I feel it has to do with stress, since my body doesn't act like this if it's my day off :/
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Until I became sick, I could eat one hour and be starved the next. I've eaten an 18" pizza, two big macs, and had a large shake.. and felt like I hadn't eaten for a week exactly one hour later. Now that I am sick, I have the opposite issue. I always feel full. I can go for days without being hungry, eat a couple of carrots and feel like I've just been thrown out of an all you can eat buffet for eating too much food. It depends on your metabolism, ((pardon this next)) how 'regular' you are, and stomach size. Note: I know a skinny person who could out eat me before I got sick. Has little to do with being overweight like some think.

You probably have a turbo charged metabolism, but yes stress eating is also something that can contribute.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth HotelMinion View Post
      Getting hangry or hungry just when you arrive to work but you've already eaten?
      This happens to me. I eat a light breakfast, just a plain sandwich or 2 fruits.
      If I just ate fruit for breakfast... Maybe. I need protein, I think? How about this... Do you get up, get ready, then feel both nauseous and hungry at the same time? I do. I have to make myself eat because I will either fall over or just get very hangry if I don't. I've started drinking a protein shake that's supposed to be vanilla flavored, because it's easy, quick, and doesn't make me more nauseated.

But then at lunch I have to tread a stupid line, because I need to make sure I eat enough but not so much that I feel sleepy or lethargic when I go back on the clock. Very annoying! I see a lot of my CWs go get fast food on lunch, but I'd be useless if I did that.

I realize this makes me seem like I don't eat, or like food or something. That's not it at all! I just like to eat slowly, and when I feel like it. Yet, I have to keep a different schedule due to work, so I have to adapt my habits around it. I should also say my weight stays very close to the same all the time, I'm not at all underweight I'm in the middle of the healthy range.
      Last edited by notalwaysright; 08-13-2017, 03:31 AM.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I get this sometimes, but with a twist. I'll be hungry right up until lunch time and then suddenly I'm not hungry anymore. I find I don't even want to eat lunch because for some odd reason I'm feeling full.

Comment

Quoth Arcus View Post
          I get this sometimes, but with a twist. I'll be hungry right up until lunch time and then suddenly I'm not hungry anymore. I find I don't even want to eat lunch because for some odd reason I'm feeling full.
          I get that fairly often myself, wander around the food court thinking what to eat, eventually just forcing myself to eat something

Comment

Maybe spread things out, if your job will allow you to either keep some food at your desk, or in the breakroom (labeled with your name, of course, for that 5% lower chance of it getting stolen) -- Then just spread them out over the day. Have your usual breakfast (at say, 7am), then a banana at 9, half a granola bar at 11, normal lunch at 12:30 or 1, and so on. This may help to keep yourself feeling sated. Also, be sure to drink plenty of water, natch, even for no better reason than to keep your stomach "busy."
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

It could be you need something with carbs in to start your day. For all that there are fad diets around now low-carb this, that, the other, blah blah blah, carbs are actually there to fuel your body for the coming day. Perhaps porridge, or toast, or even a sandwich? Just something for your body to burn until the next time you can feed it.
              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Yeah, your plain breakfast doesn't sound like much tbh, there's nothing there to sustain you for a long period. A couple of fruits will give you enough energy for something short but not last you until lunch time! There's a reason cereals are the most common breakfast food, the slow-release energy keeps you going longer. Don't forget that mental effort consumes calories just as physical effort does, so on non-work days when you've less pressure to think about things intensively then yes, you could well get by on a smaller, simpler meal; returning to work will have you thinking up a storm about what needs to be done before you even get there, hence becoming hungry as soon as you arrive.

There's also the other possibility that you're bored out of your mind. I tend to get bored-hungry whenever there's nothing to distract me from the tedium of daily drudgery.
                This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Are you drinking enough water? Drinks like tea/coffee at breakfast are all well and good, but a large glass of water can really help set you up for the day too. And if you get the tummy rumbles of hunger, try sipping some water - that can often take the feeling away.

Comment

My summer breakfast is yogurt with fruit. It's lovely. But it doesn't last as long as my winter breakfast, which is oatmeal. Rolled oats, not instant. I'm hungry at least an hour to an hour and a half earlier with the yogurt and fruit meal.

Comment

I actually find simple carbs to be the absolute worst thing to eat, and that includes many cereals ... oatmeal is about the only thing that really sticks for me and even it is usually not enough. If I eat just simple carbs (like white toast with jelly, biscuit, etc ... basically the stuff that makes life worth living ) I am all but guaranteed a mid-morning crash. I'm better off not eating anything at all.

But if I can get some complex carbs and protein, I'm usually good. My go-tos are cheese (those little Laughing Cow cheeses are great) and/or peanut butter with fruit or a very hearty whole-grain toast like the Seedtastic bread from Aldi. Sometimes I'll do cream cheese in oatmeal.

And once in a very great while .... a Chick-fil-A biscuit. Because damn. So good.

(I wish I didn't hate eggs so much, but I do, so eggs are out.)

Comment

Stress can affect eating habits.
                        I try to keep fruit and nuts at my desk (or an apple and peanut butter).

Comment

This does sound like it might be stress, but it could also be your body going "wait, you expect me to WORK?"

I find that oatmeal's staying power is greatly improved if you mix in a couple spoonfuls of peanut butter.

Comment

Working...
                          X